Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Oct 23, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #6,271 of 6,486
Just the usual for any open vs closed versions of the same phone really. Bigger sound stage vs slightly deeper, tighter bass mainly, but it's more down to how and and where you will use them, and whether the sound isolation is important.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #6,272 of 6,486
I had a friend listen to both. He found found the difference quite dramatic, insisting that I do the same comparison. He quite enjoyed the closed, and is buying a pair of his own, for travel. I actually have never done the comparison at home, yet agree completely with the post above. When I need quiet, I reach for the closed. Otherwise, when at home, I reach for the open. The open are not quite as open as your typical open headphone. I suspect this is due to Audeze using basically the same design for both headphones. Had the open been designed with a very wide soundstage, it likely would have impacted the closed in a bad way.

Ask me instead the difference between the Purpleheart and the Mahogany of the TH-X00, wow - that was a much bigger difference than I expected. Or the HD650 and HD600. Or the HD800S and HD800 (even with the Dupont Resonator modification). The EL8 closed and open are definitely within the ballpark.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #6,273 of 6,486
Is the sound isolation ability of the closed enough of a selling point over the open? Would it be good enough to block out airplane noise?

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #6,274 of 6,486
The el-8 are not that bad but if you come from the AKGs, the el-8s will sound a tad dark for your tastes.

If I were to recommend you some planars, I would tell you to have a look at the HE500s. Their mids and highs are very precise with a good soundstage and the bass it's like a machine gun. It strikes incredibly quickly to the lower ends of the spectrum not blurring its marvellous mids.

These Hifimans do benefit from a powerful amp. I used to move them with my ex-NFB29. Great combo, indeed. The HE500s are sold btw at Head-fi's threads at some very competitive prices.

i had the chance to Demo the HE-400i and EL8o
in terms of frequency balance, the 400i sounded too similar to my AKG 712's
Although darker than the K712's the EL8o did sound pleasant to my ears with its overall laid back presentation like the HD650s. i was hoping for a little more bottom end fun but overall i could live with the quantity of bass. Ive been spoiled by my X2's i suppose
its a small headphone though. i was at max size and my head was pressing the pad hard against the headband. it stayed on my head well.

then right after, i listened to the LCD2s. i couldn't detect much difference, but in comparison it made the vocals on the EL8's sound more 'cupped hands' for female vocals (i forgot what song it was). i was also at the max size adjustment. it didn't stay on my head as well when leaning forward. overall i dont feel the LCD2s is worth the extra money (AUD) and the weight penalty

I definitely recommend the EL8, but I'd also suggest looking for a deal in the Head-Fi thread linked below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/

I just did a search and found an EL8 closed (post #21879 from three weeks ago) still selling for $350. And I checked the company policy - they do ship international to Australia. I cannot imagine the cost being anywhere close to what you said you'd have to pay, including shipping and import fees.

The EL8 headphones certainly scale well with more current (power), but they do well with just about any source.

that is bloody cheap!
i listened to all the above headphones with the Jotunheim which i ended up buying. el8o had a balance cable on it

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #6,276 of 6,486
I hear that the LCD-2 is head and shoulders better than the EL-8, then i read else where that it is only 10% better and not worth the price jump. What do you guys think?

I'm in the 10% camp, but this is comparing EL8-open (Dec 2015, new Fazor drivers) with LCD-2f (old 2014 fazor drivers)

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #6,277 of 6,486
  I'm in the 10% camp, but this is comparing EL8-open (Dec 2015, new Fazor drivers) with LCD-2f (old 2014 fazor drivers)

Welp, mine should be here in a few days... and I'll add my 2c on this.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #6,278 of 6,486
Welp, mine should be here in a few days... and I'll add my 2c on this.

Still not enough time to truly A/B, but the EL-8O is a more lively headphone. The LCD-2 is a bit more laid back IMHO. I can see using them for different genres.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #6,279 of 6,486
 tried the new EL 8...lovely punchy but detailed and balanced sound. they're a definite step up from sines,
but not portable, for sure.
...i understand what readers mean when they note the EL 8 can get a bit heavy on the head after a while.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #6,280 of 6,486
You really think the el8 isn't that far from the 2? I used to own the 2.2, now the lcdx, and found the 2.2 to be very dark, yet many reviews say the el8 is on the thinner side.

Basically, I'm looking for a headphone that I can use when the misses is sleeping or when my surroundings are noisy, maybe even for travel, don't fancy shelling out for a LCD-XC as their use will be -fairly- limited.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #6,281 of 6,486
Quick question: I'm new to the forum and I'm currently shopping for cans. I recently heard the EL8 open backs through the Audeze headphone amp and REALLY thought they sounded great. I don't have a lot to compare them to, as I'm relatively new to the headphone topic, but I liked what I heard a lot. My question is- Do you all think the EL8 makes sense for a listener that is switching between the iphone (via Cipher cable) and a home/stationary DAC/amp set up (via standard cable)? My initial thought is that Audeze are making headphones that can serve both purposes. I have not bought a DAC/amp set up yet, but I'm currently getting out to test a few. I'm looking to build a home headphone amp set up, but would also want a set up for my mobile device. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #6,282 of 6,486
@skhan007, the EL8 is one of only 2 mid level headphones that I know of which have both Cipher cable and standard cable options, I believe the Sine also have the Cipher cable option.  If you need the option of both Cipher cable and desktop option and the EL8 sounds good to you then go for it.  Only concern I would have is for the weight of the EL8 for use as a portable.  I got mine with the intension of traveling with them but the weight is just too much IMO.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #6,283 of 6,486
  @skhan007, the EL8 is one of only 2 mid level headphones that I know of which have both Cipher cable and standard cable options, I believe the Sine also have the Cipher cable option.  If you need the option of both Cipher cable and desktop option and the EL8 sounds good to you then go for it.  Only concern I would have is for the weight of the EL8 for use as a portable.  I got mine with the intension of traveling with them but the weight is just too much IMO.

Thanks! I actually won't be traveling with the EL8's, but was thinking about just having an option to hook up to my phone or iPod if I'm just sitting around at the computer, in the backyard, etc. I am hoping to hear them with a couple of different amps at my local hi fi shop again in a few days. If they are good cans for both the iphone/ipod and with a home headphone amp set up, that would be great. My brief experience so far was that I really liked them. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #6,284 of 6,486

Thanks! I actually won't be traveling with the EL8's, but was thinking about just having an option to hook up to my phone or iPod if I'm just sitting around at the computer, in the backyard, etc. I am hoping to hear them with a couple of different amps at my local hi fi shop again in a few days. If they are good cans for both the iphone/ipod and with a home headphone amp set up, that would be great. My brief experience so far was that I really liked them. 

FWIW I use the headphone output of my Teac UD-301 to drive my EL8, really great pairing but after hearing the EL8 on a Feliks Elise yesterday I'm going to do a little more searching.  I've also used my old Fiio X3 with the EL8 a few times, really good sounding for such a simple DAP, much better than my Galaxy S5 phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back