Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Sep 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #6,242 of 6,486
What are the differences between El8’s 2015 and 2016 version? will get a el8 2016 edition soon.

I have both the open and closed EL-8 from 2016, but I only originally owned the 2015 of the closed.

I suspect better balance, from low frequency to high frequency, particularly more ease in listening to the high frequency sound. Also the connectors grip more tightly.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #6,243 of 6,486
I have both the open and closed EL-8 from 2016, but I only originally owned the 2015 of the closed.

I suspect better balance, from low frequency to high frequency, particularly more ease in listening to the high frequency sound. Also the connectors grip more tightly.

Yeah I heard so, 2015 models had frustrating lows and highs.
Btw how do u drive them? how can I get near full potential outta these cans? Because despite of their efficiency, power helps

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #6,244 of 6,486
Yeah I heard so, 2015 models had frustrating lows and highs.
Btw how do u drive them? how can I get near full potential outta these cans? Because despite of their efficiency, power helps

I agree that they respond well to power - I've used a Ragnarok and been very happy 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Being a little more realistic, I think Chord Mojo is an excellent match, and solves both the DAC and AMP issue. And I'm guessing it is easier to get a Chord product, than say a Schiit stack or Grace Design m9xx? Whatever you use, they need only a little power.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #6,245 of 6,486
I agree that they respond well to power - I've used a Ragnarok and been very happy :veryevil:

Being a little more realistic, I think Chord Mojo is an excellent match, and solves both the DAC and AMP issue. And I'm guessing it is easier to get a Chord product, than say a Schiit stack or Grace Design m9xx? Whatever you use, they need only a little power.

yes bro planner needs a bit more current. preparing to get a schiit stack. Mojo might be way cooler but 500+ usd is a bit of an issue.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #6,246 of 6,486
  Hey guys. Update on my broken pair of EL8O's.

They've received the package and started the replacement process. RMA Dept. (Chris) is very helpful and gave quick replies each time.

So I hope I'll receive my new pair soon, as I miss my headphones :)

I got HD650's for my desktop while my EL8's are away, but can't wait to have them back as they're overall better than HD650's. 

Audeze customer support is second to none. Kim and Chris are amazing people to deal with, fast and very cooperative :).

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #6,247 of 6,486
Just wanted to say that almost a year into owning my open EL-8s, I still absolutely love them.  Having recently gotten more back into music production, I have also started using them as an open pair of headphones for production and mixing.

Make no mistake about it friends, these are reference level headphones.  They are some of the most neutral and balanced headphones I have ever heard and truly compliment my studio monitors (which are themselves extremely well regarded).

I'm currently powering them from a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre pro audio interface and to be honest, they still sound excellent.  The Mojo may provide a pinch more focus but it's been in my draw since I got this audio interface which works much better on a desktop (regular power adaptor, not a phone charger  that heats the unit up like the Mojo does).

P.S.: They get more and more comfortable.  Initially they clamped quite hard, but this has eased now and I can wear the EL-8s for hours on end.  These are without doubt Audeze's most comfortable headphones due to their design and weight.  Though I would love to see such comfort brought to the LCD-Xs which are the only headphones that I think are a step up from these.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #6,249 of 6,486
  Do you not consider the LCD-3 and LCD-4 a step up?

Yeah, though my favourite of the bunch (and imho the most neutral) were the LCD-Xs.  The price of the LCD-4 really isn't as easy to justify imho when the LCD-X is already a world class headphone used by top mastering engineers like Bob Katz and sound just perfect, like it's hard to imagine anything better after hearing those and imho the LCD-4 don't deliver a difference that justifies the price.  The LCD-3 were really nice too but a pinch more laid back which I didn't prefer quite as much for engineering work.

But honestly, pretty much the entire Audeze range is absolutely awesome.  They just really need to do something about the LCD series weight and design (which imho is sloppy).  The SINE and EL-8s are a huge step in the right direction on that front.

Of course these are just my thoughts, YMMV :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #6,253 of 6,486
Yeah, though my favourite of the bunch (and imho the most neutral) were the LCD-Xs.  The price of the LCD-4 really isn't as easy to justify imho when the LCD-X is already a world class headphone used by top mastering engineers like Bob Katz and sound just perfect, like it's hard to imagine anything better after hearing those and imho the LCD-4 don't deliver a difference that justifies the price.  The LCD-3 were really nice too but a pinch more laid back which I didn't prefer quite as much for engineering work.

But honestly, pretty much the entire Audeze range is absolutely awesome.  They just really need to do something about the LCD series weight and design (which imho is sloppy).  The SINE and EL-8s are a huge step in the right direction on that front.

Of course these are just my thoughts, YMMV :)

I owned an original pair of open EL8 but sold them as I found them too laid back in the treble. Is the current version noticeably different or
would the LCD-X be a livelier option?

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #6,254 of 6,486
I owned an original pair of open EL8 but sold them as I found them too laid back in the treble. Is the current version noticeably different or
would the LCD-X be a livelier option?

To be honest, the LCD-Xs do have a similar character to the EL-8s but are simply more refined sounding.  They are a pinch more forward but honestly just a pinch.

It may simply be that you have become accustomed to brighter sounding cans.

Just remember that many other high-end headphones such as the Ethers (the originals) or HD-800s (originals) are "bright" when compared to neutral, particularly in the lower treble.  And the Audeze's are a little pulled back in that region, so when comparing those to one another, the difference will be more dramatic.

When I compare my EL-8s to my studio monitors (which are very VERY neutral), the EL-8s are only pulled back 2 - 3 db in the lower treble which can easily be adjusted with EQ.  On the other hand, crazy treble peaks like the original HD-800 and the HD-800s mediocre treble air response make it impossible to EQ back to neutral (I've tried for hours with no joy at all).   The Audezes are the ONLY headphones I have ever heard that can match the treble response of the ribbon tweeters on my monitors.  They have the same clarity and extension which until this date I have sadly not heard from any dynamic driver or even other planars.

Definitely check out the LCD-Xs if you find them at a store though, that tiny bit more presence may be just enough for you, assuming your head can manage the weight :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #6,255 of 6,486
The EL8 closed is insanely good..I just received one that was made two weeks ago and I am blown away....I like it better than the EL8 Open.....I have noticed something interesting though....I have the titanium too and inside the earcup of the titanium the felt is cut open and on the EL-8 it isn't.....Just noticed this.....

What are the differences between El8’s 2015 and 2016 version? will get a el8 2016 edition soon.

Is there any way visually to tell what is the latest version?

I am very interested the last version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back