Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Sep 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #6,226 of 6,486
Sorry for the digression>>>
I just got delivery of the EL-8o
It came in a white box,with a picture of the el's on it
Am I correct in assuming that,these are the 2016 version?
SQ is incredible,bass perfect,a bit tight,though.

Any help will be appreciated,thanks,
Mike

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #6,227 of 6,486
  Since you like changing gear every few months I suggest a used EL8o or HE-400i, both are relatively easy to drive.  If I were you I would get the HE-400i and spend the difference from the EL8 on a decent amp, that way you would also be able to use it on your r70x.  For flexibility I suggest a amp from Garage 1217, some of the more flexible amps around and will not break the bank.

a little late on this,I just got the EL-8o
My desktop setup is:
Ember/parasound V2 amp/dac.

a big +1 on Davids's suggestion for the Ember-its giving me an overall excellent SQ ,and the Ember has the advantage of extensive tube rolling,takes almost any 9-pin tubes,with a few exceptions.
I strongly recommend it,and 1217 garage tech support is 2nd to none.

Mike

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #6,228 of 6,486
  sound like crap on BH Crack, not bad on Lyr2, a little bit better on Ember and best on UD-301.

+1 on the Ember,I'm using it now,with a Amperex PQ 6201 tube =outstanding.

Mike

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,229 of 6,486
Please contact Audeze. They might replace them with a new pair of EL-8. I have recently got a Adorama deal for EL-8 (closed) for 400$ Refurbished (but got new pair in sealed white box). Serial number was E1290008 and they are mind blowing. Till now I haven't heard the crackling yet.

Nice >>
I picked up my el-8's used  for $429-
and bought the he400i for $239-
The two make a good pair,.

Mike

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #6,233 of 6,486
So glad everyone is picking up the EL8o and enjoying them!

Agreed. I like mine very much. I don't know how well they scale with better amps, and I would like to hear them sound even better. My want for higher end phones though, have been satisfied for the next year or so.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #6,235 of 6,486
Nice. Let us know what you think. I still have occasional crackle, but I haven't swapped them out yet. Partially because I can't find my RMA email, and the other being it happens infrequently.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #6,236 of 6,486
The EL8 closed is insanely good..I just received one that was made two weeks ago and I am blown away....I like it better than the EL8 Open.....I have noticed something interesting though....I have the titanium too and inside the earcup of the titanium the felt is cut open and on the EL-8 it isn't.....Just noticed this.....

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #6,237 of 6,486
Hey guys. Update on my broken pair of EL8O's.

They've received the package and started the replacement process. RMA Dept. (Chris) is very helpful and gave quick replies each time.

So I hope I'll receive my new pair soon, as I miss my headphones :)

I got HD650's for my desktop while my EL8's are away, but can't wait to have them back as they're overall better than HD650's. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #6,238 of 6,486
It is unfortunate but my pre order EL8O has developed cracks on the plastic shell on the inside headband above the ear cups... my local shop couldn't do anything for me besides offering a discount on a new pair =/ sent a message to Audeze, no idea if they would do anything about it

I feel those parts really should have been made of metal. Having plastic in the construction is quite unfortunate.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #6,239 of 6,486
It is unfortunate but my pre order EL8O has developed cracks on the plastic shell on the inside headband above the ear cups... my local shop couldn't do anything for me besides offering a discount on a new pair =/ sent a message to Audeze, no idea if they would do anything about it

I feel those parts really should have been made of metal. Having plastic in the construction is quite unfortunate.

I agree. As far as I know, those are the only plastic parts on the headphones. Mine didn't have cracks on those parts but they always look flimsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back