Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jul 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #6,166 of 6,486
I couldn't agree more.....Like i have always said, give me the soundstage of the HD 800s in the EL-8 and I would never buy another headphone :)
Try the new focal Elear and you'll get exactly what you want. It's far lighter and more comfortable than the el8 and have a slightly more natural sound overall

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #6,167 of 6,486
Try the new focal Elear and you'll get exactly what you want. It's far lighter and more comfortable than the el8 and have a slightly more natural sound overall

At the same price point of the EL8 would be acceptable.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #6,168 of 6,486
I did some comparisons to my LCD-4 a few nights ago. My impressions were actually pretty exciting and unexpected. I am so surprised the EL-8o doesn't get more credit to be honest. To me if I am being honest.. it is the most fun, enjoyable and musical headphones I own or have ever heard. It doesn't have the accuracy or transparency of the 4, and it's in-your-face sound signature kind of gets fatiguing after awhile (versus the laid back, warm/dark sound of the LCD-4 I can listen all day), but if I am listening for only a little bit and want something engaging and punchy and musical then I think the EL-8o's are one of my favorites of all time.

More impressions to come in my upcoming full length LCD4 review.

2016 EL-8o (to my ears): punchy, "loud", fun, musical, impactful and awesome!

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #6,169 of 6,486
  I did some comparisons to my LCD-4 a few nights ago. My impressions were actually pretty exciting and unexpected. I am so surprised the EL-8o doesn't get more credit to be honest. To me if I am being honest.. it is the most fun, enjoyable and musical headphones I own or have ever heard. It doesn't have the accuracy or transparency of the 4, and it's in-your-face sound signature kind of gets fatiguing after awhile (versus the laid back, warm/dark sound of the LCD-4 I can listen all day), but if I am listening for only a little bit and want something engaging and punchy and musical then I think the EL-8o's are one of my favorites of all time.

More impressions to come in my upcoming full length LCD4 review.

I felt the same way. I didn't like listening to all my 90s Hair Band stuff because I didn't have a headphone that made them sound good (like when I was younger). I often had to resort to my Philips SPH-9500 as they played them the best out of what I owned (Oppo PM-3, HE-400i, Heir 4.a CIEM, Klipsch S4). Out of all those headphones, the EL8-Open made everything much more enjoyable and engaging. I actually started listening to my Metallica, Def Leppard, and many others that I hadn't for quite some time (speakers were the only other things that made them sound good).

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #6,170 of 6,486
  To me if I am being honest.. it is the most fun, enjoyable and musical headphones I own or have ever heard. It doesn't have the accuracy or transparency of the 4, and it's in-your-face sound signature kind of gets fatiguing after awhile (....)but if I am listening for only a little bit and want something engaging and punchy and musical then I think the EL-8o's are one of my favorites of all time.

I fully agree with your impressions
I currently own Edition X, LCD-3 & EL8 2016 Open. I still enjoy these EL8 with Mojo. They are really engaging and retain Audeze's sound-house. Big plus for me they are very comfortable to me & easy to drive. Unfortunately EU price is too deconnected vs US price.
2016 version is I think a real option for the mid-fi class. At least I would be pick up these over many contenders I tried such as Nighthawk.
Just bought LCD2 PreF to compare.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #6,172 of 6,486
I agree with you guys about EL-8O. These deserved more credit than they've ever received. My only complaint is what @Dillan mentioned. Soundstage width is mediocre and they get fatiguing after a while. On the other hand when you use a good desktop amp with a smooth signature, they get much better.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #6,174 of 6,486
  I wonder if they would pair well with a good tube amp. I'm driving mine with the Schiit Vali 2, but that is a hybrid.

They pair very well with a tube amplifier - I was kind of sad to see my DNA Sonett go, realizing only on the way out how good it sounded.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #6,178 of 6,486
  @natalieann, interesting picture, never saw it before but I like the dark tone wood finish best or my second choice would be the all black rather than the light color wood that I have.

Agreed. I saw someone on this thread did a stain on theirs. Looked great, but I'm not sure I would until warranty period was up.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #6,180 of 6,486
  that was me actually.....Probably wasn't the smartest, but they turned out pretty good

They did come out nice. I'd totally do that and build a custom cable with brown paracord sheath. Would look fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back