Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #5,146 of 6,486
Look for a used HE-560. Or see if you can find a retailer that still sells the HE-500, they have been discounted recently. To be honest, everything else in this price range is waste of money considering you can buy a used flagship for not much more or very good former flagships like the K7xx/K712, HD600/650 which are mature, proven products in terms of build quality and sonic refinement.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5,147 of 6,486
  Have you both heard and disliked the closed EL-8?

hearing. judgement will be reserved until after I get used to the sound sig & write a full review :) no ownership bias though as I am not planning on keeping them long-term anyways

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,148 of 6,486
Look for a used HE-560. Or see if you can find a retailer that still sells the HE-500, they have been discounted recently. To be honest, everything else in this price range is waste of money considering you can buy a used flagship for not much more or very good former flagships like the K7xx/K712, HD600/650 which are mature, proven products in terms of build quality and sonic refinement.

If you include secondhand then definitely the HE-560. HE-500 good too, if you can find it. You can find the T1 and GS1000i secondhand around this too (somewhat polarising though they may be). Basically a lot of options if you include secondhand.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,149 of 6,486
I'm not particularly interested in buying somebodies secondhand headphones, been there done that. I much prefer knowing I'm the first owner. That said the FAD Heaven VI is definitely an interesting proposition seeing as I'm familiar with, and fond of their house sound. The question was mostly rhetorical because my point was that if you want a new headphone in the $500-$800 range the open El-8 is a strong contender. Besides the 7khz lull in the treble I find very little to complain about with this headphone.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #5,150 of 6,486
Surprised there aren't more recommendations for the Oppo PM-2 as an alternative to the el-8 for $699. The PM-2 seems like a polar opposite (lush, warm, non-fatiguing) for the people not grooving on the (reportedly) dry sound of the el-8. I've not heard either but read extensively on both products so take that as you may.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5,151 of 6,486
I can't speak for the open EL8 since I have not heard them, but HE500 are much better than EL8 closed and they can still be found for $500 on Amazon with Prime shipping right now.

I sold my own pair last year for more than that. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,152 of 6,486
  hearing. judgement will be reserved until after I get used to the sound sig & write a full review :) no ownership bias though as I am not planning on keeping them long-term anyways

Oh, why is that? Do you prefer the PM-3 to the closed EL-8? If so, why? I have a EL-8 on the way but I'm not sure of whether I'll open them or if I should just return them. 
Are the EL-8 bad with rock?

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #5,154 of 6,486
Surprised there aren't more recommendations for the Oppo PM-2 as an alternative to the el-8 for $699. The PM-2 seems like a polar opposite (lush, warm, non-fatiguing) for the people not grooving on the (reportedly) dry sound of the el-8. I've not heard either but read extensively on both products so take that as you may.

While I very much liked the sound signature of the Pm-2 it just simply isn't as detailed as the El-8. The El-8 open has more treble energy than the Pm-2 (alternative leather pads) but otherwise the sound signatures of both are relatively similar with the El-8 obviously winning in the soundstage department. The El-8 closed is just very weird and artificial sounding in the upper treble region.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,155 of 6,486

If you're willing to go second hand there's already a handful of used EL-8s on various selling sites.

Also I agree the old AKGs and Sennheisers really shouldn't be dismissed so easily. They sound great and really don't have as many glaring flaws as some of the flagships.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #5,157 of 6,486
Oh, why is that? Do you prefer the PM-3 to the closed EL-8? If so, why? I have a EL-8 on the way but I'm not sure of whether I'll open them or if I should just return them. 
Are the EL-8 bad with rock?

just dont like to make snap judgement on gear and few pretty busy weeks w real life. i just havent had time to really sit down & do critical conparisons. havent used the el8 too much yet tbh, playin w some other gear right now.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5,158 of 6,486
The question was mostly rhetorical because my point was that if you want a new headphone in the $500-$800 range the open El-8 is a strong contender. Besides the 7khz lull in the treble I find very little to complain about with this headphone.

point taken, but ppl shld know that they can get actual current TOTL flagships new at the $700-$1300 price point or oldschool flagships at $200-$400 (even cheaper used). this in-between price point region is simply not as competitive compared to the rest of the headphone market. (impo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back