Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #5,161 of 6,486
Regarding EL-8 cable connectors, the EL-8 is one of the most innovative headphones on the market, from its magnetic structure to the ultra-thin film diaphragm and driver design. When we designed the connector it wasn’t meant as a differentiating factor but instead we were thinking long-term about the EL-8 as a platform upon which to introduce new, easily accessible features.

The new connector has 8 contacts per side (see more below) and is part of the overall plan. The gold-plated connectors were designed with very low contact resistance and capable of carrying up to 2 Amps per connector for a total of 16 Amps. The current EL-8 connector has 4 contacts wired in parallel for each positive and negative signal with very low contact resistance (measured in micro ohms) while typical 3-pin XLR connectors are measured at 3 milliohms per contact. It also features connector redundancy and magnetic latching to prevent cable damage. Plus the cables are very robust with a minimum of 20,000 mating cycles.

A new Apple MFI-compatible cable will be introduced for the EL-8s in the next few weeks. A couple of weeks after that we’ll make balanced cables available for Sony, Astell & Kern and Pono players. The new cables are are straightforward swap with the current ones.

In the longer term, hopefully in 2016, we planning to introduce cables that can process signals like noise cancellation, DSP, etc. For some of these applications we have to take the signal from inside the headphone and return it after processing, thus eight separate connectors per side.

We've received reports that the connectors can become loose with increased lateral movement. We’ve shipped many, many EL-8s by now and find connector issues are only a small percentage of the total. If you have any issues with the connectors, please let us know immediately (support@audeze.com) so we can examine them. For most users they hold fine, others say they're not tight enough; perhaps we have to find a better "hold tolerance." We're definitely looking into it and pay attention to the comments made here as we continue to improve our products based on feedback.

In the end, the EL-8s are a product that, in a year or two from now, you can add new features.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #5,162 of 6,486
  Regarding EL-8 cable connectors, the EL-8 is one of the most innovative headphones on the market, from its magnetic structure to the ultra-thin film diaphragm and driver design. When we designed the connector it wasn’t meant as a differentiating factor but instead we were thinking long-term about the EL-8 as a platform upon which to introduce new, easily accessible features.

The new connector has 8 contacts per side (see more below) and is part of the overall plan. The gold-plated connectors were designed with very low contact resistance and capable of carrying up to 2 Amps per connector for a total of 16 Amps. The current EL-8 connector has 4 contacts wired in parallel for each positive and negative signal with very low contact resistance (measured in micro ohms) while typical 3-pin XLR connectors are measured at 3 milliohms per contact. It also features connector redundancy and magnetic latching to prevent cable damage. Plus the cables are very robust with a minimum of 20,000 mating cycles.

A new Apple MFI-compatible cable will be introduced for the EL-8s in the next few weeks. A couple of weeks after that we’ll make balanced cables available for Sony, Astell & Kern and Pono players. The new cables are are straightforward swap with the current ones.

In the longer term, hopefully in 2016, we planning to introduce cables that can process signals like noise cancellation, DSP, etc. For some of these applications we have to take the signal from inside the headphone and return it after processing, thus eight separate connectors per side.

We've received reports that the connectors can become loose with increased lateral movement. We’ve shipped many, many EL-8s by now and find connector issues are only a small percentage of the total. If you have any issues with the connectors, please let us know immediately (support@audeze.com) so we can examine them. For most users they hold fine, others say they're not tight enough; perhaps we have to find a better "hold tolerance." We're definitely looking into it and pay attention to the comments made here as we continue to improve our products based on feedback.

In the end, the EL-8s are a product that, in a year or two from now, you can add new features.

I am a happy owner of a new pair of  EL-8 headphones but remain concerned about the reliability of your new connectors. Here is the thread I started on Saturday to raise my concerns:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8

I don't want to be overly critical of Audeze or stifle innovation. You folks certainly make terrific products.  I have tried many competing products. The EL-8’s are the best closed headphones I have ever listened to.

But given the amount of play and lateral movement in both headphone connectors from day one, I fear that I will be an EL-8 early adopter who ends up with a malfunctioning connector after the warranty has expired. Advanced features like noise cancellation and DSP will do little for me if the connector starts slipping or moving more than it does now.   

Whether 2 pins, 4 pins or 8 pins, I have to ask: Why is there no positive locking mechanism to eliminate movement and just keep the cables plugged in? 

There is an easy way to address the problem and show confidence in your innovation:  Offer an extended warranty or other concrete assurances about the connector. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #5,163 of 6,486
deleted post

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #5,164 of 6,486

​
We now have the Official EL-8 connectors in stock thanks to the guys/gals at Audez'e and have the go ahead to start taking orders.
 ​
Get your orders in, have a look at my profile for the full list of cables available and the largest choice of wire available from any headphone cable manufacturer for your EL-8 headphones.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5,165 of 6,486
I just love these headphones!

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #5,167 of 6,486
Affirmative...

I mean, closed.

May 1, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #5,170 of 6,486
I heard the closed EL-8 at AXPONA.  Man, it's good!  I need one!

I'll be doing demos of EL-8 open-back at SF meet this weekend on Woo Audio WA6 amp.  If you're on the fence about the EL-8, come here the demo.  A word of warning, you can't unhear it.  :)

May 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,171 of 6,486
I got my new el-8 cloised back headphones today, one of the first in the UK I believe. I absolutely love everything about them. They sound fantastic, really nice bass, mids, and treble, very balanced and very listenable. No harshness whatsoever. The sound signature is perfect. They work well as closed back and dont leak sound out or let external sounds in. They are made in the US (not China), they have real leather and wood quality materials, they are comfortable, they look and sound fantastic. Really pleased with this purchase and would be very suprised if there is anything close to this quality for the price. well done audeze, what great company.

May 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #5,172 of 6,486
I got my new el-8 cloised back headphones today, one of the first in the UK I believe. I absolutely love everything about them. They sound fantastic, really nice bass, mids, and treble, very balanced and very listenable. No harshness whatsoever. The sound signature is perfect. They work well as closed back and dont leak sound out or let external sounds in. They are made in the US (not China), they have real leather and wood quality materials, they are comfortable, they look and sound fantastic. Really pleased with this purchase and would be very suprised if there is anything close to this quality for the price. well done audeze, what great company.

Hi @halloweenman, can you compare your new EL-8 closed to any other headpnones? What is the base like? Is the bass clean or muddy?

May 2, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #5,174 of 6,486

May 3, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #5,175 of 6,486
What source halloweenman? 
I've had mine a few weeks. Hated them at first (really bright) but I'm giving them some burn-in and have just acquired a Sony ZX2. Things seem to be improving but there's still something artificial about the treble and they vary wildly depending on genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back