Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 26, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #5,118 of 6,486
  Opened up the el8 phone on the left side, its pretty easy to open up once you detach the earpad. Anyone brave enough to mod them :p É

lol your warranty might be void now

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #5,119 of 6,486
  Opened up the el8 phone on the left side, its pretty easy to open up once you detach the earpad. Anyone brave enough to mod them :p É

fantastic...some fotos pls...yours is the closed version?

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,123 of 6,486
more open, better air and a lot faster

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #5,124 of 6,486
  I've seen a few people post on Head-Fi about how their TOTL IEMs and CIEMs actually sound on par with their TOTL over ear headphones. I would think the same as you though, I certainly think there are some things my RE-600 does better my HE-400s, but I prefer the overall experience of the 400s, over ear headphones just seem to sound bigger and more involving to me.

When it comes to drivers, very often bigger is indeed better. We also complete the sonic picture based on how the sensitive structures around our ear including all of the bones etc transmit sound through to the inner ear. There is no way that losing this information doesn't affect the sound to one extent or another. There is a reason the flagship headphones are large, the scale of the sound matters. Of course there is a point where something could be too big, but even the 70mm drivers in my Z7s aren't too big. I can't imagine how an IEM could fully replicate the subtle aspects of sound scale that are transmitted through other structures. They would always sound smaller in scale I'm guessing. That doesn't mean they can't sound stunning and reference level, quality, but they have to give up something, nothing is perfect.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #5,125 of 6,486
When it comes to drivers, very often bigger is indeed better. We also complete the sonic picture based on how the sensitive structures around our ear including all of the bones etc transmit sound through to the inner ear. There is no way that losing this information doesn't affect the sound to one extent or another. There is a reason the flagship headphones are large, the scale of the sound matters. Of course there is a point where something could be too big, but even the 70mm drivers in my Z7s aren't too big. I can't imagine how an IEM could fully replicate the subtle aspects of sound scale that are transmitted through other structures. They would always sound smaller in scale I'm guessing. That doesn't mean they can't sound stunning and reference level, quality, but they have to give up something, nothing is perfect.

different driver sizes for full-sized headphones usually are not the reason for sound quality differences and there generally is no correlation between headphone driver size and sound quality. other factors are more important in depending in frequency response and sound quality.

iems generally use multiple drivers to compensate for their small size. you'll be surprised how good iems have gotten. there are definitely flagship iems that can compete with flagship headphones in terms of sound quality.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #5,126 of 6,486
different driver sizes for full-sized headphones usually are not the reason for sound quality differences and there generally is no correlation between headphone driver size and sound quality. other factors are more important in depending in frequency response and sound quality.

iems generally use multiple drivers to compensate for their small size. you'll be surprised how good iems have gotten. there are definitely flagship iems that can compete with flagship headphones in terms of sound quality.

I'm not suggesting a one to one relationship, but if all else was equal, including the amps control of the driver, a 50mm driver will convey musical scale better than a 40mm driver. The more convincing the musical scale, the better the perceived music sounds when all else is equal. That is why people typically don't like small sound stage sounding headphones. We know that music and sound spread out and wash over our face, our scalp, everything, there is musical information communicated through scale, and our brain looks for it. I stand by this, all else being equal, a bigger driver will make the musical experience more realistic sounding. That isn't saying smaller drivers or IEM can't sound stunningly good, they can.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #5,127 of 6,486
I'm not suggesting a one to one relationship, but if all else was equal, including the amps control of the driver, a 50mm driver will convey musical scale better than a 40mm driver. The more convincing the musical scale, the better the perceived music sounds when all else is equal. That is why people typically don't like small sound stage sounding headphones. We know that music and sound spread out and wash over our face, our scalp, everything, there is musical information communicated through scale, and our brain looks for it. I stand by this, all else being equal, a bigger driver will make the musical experience more realistic sounding. That isn't saying smaller drivers or IEM can't sound stunningly good, they can.

size of the sound stage usually correlates to open/close design, damping, and the earcup size rather than the driver size. i think there are lot of other factors that are much more influential than the actual driver size. for example, the t50rp driver is not particularly large, but I think most people would agree that the modded alpha primes sonically outperform the sony mdr-z7 and has better sound stage/realism.

there is a tendency to correlate larger drivers for better lower frequency performance as they can push more air while smaller drivers tend to be thought of as being better at higher frequencies as they move faster with more control, but I doubt most people who are seriously in this hobby would correlate larger drives to inherently have better sound. driver size specs is generally regarded the same way as frequency response range specs when making headphone purchasing decisions... basically irrelevant.

you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I think this might be getting off-topic, so we can probably jump into another thread on the topic, such as this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592974/does-bigger-driver-mean-better-sound

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #5,128 of 6,486
  size of the sound stage usually correlates to open/close design, damping, and the earcup size rather than the driver size. i think there are lot of other factors that are much more influential than the actual driver size. for example, the t50rp driver is not particularly large, but I think most people would agree that the modded alpha primes sonically outperform the sony mdr-z7 and has better sound stage/realism.

there is a tendency to correlate larger drivers for better lower frequency performance as they can push more air while smaller drivers tend to be thought of as being better at higher frequencies as they move faster with more control, but I doubt most people who are seriously in this hobby would correlate larger drives to inherently have better sound. driver size specs is generally regarded the same way as frequency response range specs when making headphone purchasing decisions... basically irrelevant.

you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I think this might be getting off-topic, so we can probably jump into another thread on the topic, such as this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592974/does-bigger-driver-mean-better-sound

Cool, I'll check out that thread. Thanks. Bummer, just looked, very old dead thread, not much information there and nothing that discusses scale as I am trying to convey. In my argument scale is one piece of the information our brain works with so again I will say that I'm not saying it is a one to one relationship where bigger drivers always sound better, but they should make a difference if all else is equal. anyway, maybe I'll see if that thread can be resurrected as I don't want to take this on OT any further.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,129 of 6,486
different driver sizes for full-sized headphones usually are not the reason for sound quality differences and there generally is no correlation between headphone driver size and sound quality.

Actually, there is. A larger diaphragm requires less excursion which usually means lower distortion as the magnetic flux is not constant at all diaphragm positions, i.e. the motor is more linear.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #5,130 of 6,486

Actually, there is. A larger diaphragm requires less excursion which usually means lower distortion as the magnetic flux is not constant at all diaphragm positions, i.e. the motor is more linear.

lcd-2, lcd-xc, lcd-x, and lcd-3: all 106 mm
PM-1/PM-2: 85 x 69 mm
he-300 50mm (dynamic)
couldn't find the driver size specs for the other Hifiman headphones, but the HE-400, HE-400i, HE-500, HE-560, HE-6 all have the same driver size.

if driver size had a really big impact on sound quality, you would think the large planar magnetic companies will have their higher end models utilizing larger drivers rather than spending so much time developing other technologies. really I think other elements of driver design (fazor, se vs de, etc) make a significantly larger impact on sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back