Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #616 of 711
Is there any way to tell from the box or headphone exterior whether it's the newer 2016 revision?
Not exact science, but a white box usually means newer revision.
Also, foam on the inner side of the cup (so you can't see the fazors) will probably mean newer revision, but the opposite isn't true because this was an even later addition.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #617 of 711
Feb 5, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #619 of 711
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #621 of 711
So I got my el8 delivered. They did end up being a 2015 model. Im actually quite pleased with them especially for the price and the as new condition. Mids are a little shouty in the same way the hd650 is but still enjoyable. I actually prefer these over the z7mk2 which is quite congested and not very good with layering, separation, or imaging.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #622 of 711
So I got my el8 delivered. They did end up being a 2015 model. Im actually quite pleased with them especially for the price and the as new condition. Mids are a little shouty in the same way the hd650 is but still enjoyable. I actually prefer these over the z7mk2 which is quite congested and not very good with layering, separation, or imaging.

I can tell you that even with my 2017 EL-8 closed I still found myself EQing them with a dip around 8kHz. With some recordings the treble is too piercing. No shouty mids though, in my experience.
Other than that they're quite amazing.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #623 of 711
I can tell you that even with my 2017 EL-8 closed I still found myself EQing them with a dip around 8kHz. With some recordings the treble is too piercing. No shouty mids though, in my experience.
Im not a fan of the proprietary connections though. Sound cuts out sometimes when the cable is bumped, also balanced cables are harder to source.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #625 of 711
I've had no problems with them. I think that's also another thing Audeze revised at some point...
It happened with a post-2016 titanium demo model at a shop as well. I won't bother upgrading to the revised driver edition for this reason. I'm pleased with the 2015 sound as is, and I'll probably wait until Audeze come out with a new model.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #626 of 711
Im not a fan of the proprietary connections though. Sound cuts out sometimes when the cable is bumped, also balanced cables are harder to source.

If it makes you feel better, I couldn't hear any difference going balanced with the EL-8 Ti. I'm a big believer in balanced and usually hear a moderately substantial difference, but this time, nothing. On the other hand, the new cable is much more attractive and easy to manage.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #627 of 711
What amp are you using?

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #629 of 711
I usually use them at work, so with a Chord Mojo. I also use Roon's Audeze DSP preset.
Wow, ok. That's pretty smooth source so that isnt the issue.

I have been pairing my EL-8C with my DX150 with the AMP4s module and the sound is fantastic. I'm going to try what you did and see what happens. I know what you're talking about.

I owned the Mojo at one point and it did pair very well with the EL-8

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #630 of 711
Sound:
Before I provide more info here, I think I may have a defective unit because the right side keeps giving this "thack, thack" sticky type of physical noise from the headphone itself when I turn my head and if i press on the closed back of the right cup i hear it even with a light tap. The left side doesn't have this problem. So i wonder if there's something loose or defective inside because the right driver sound seems lacking (could be my mental manifestation due to the physical noises bothering me)

I'm just wondering why the AUDEZE people shipped a defective product to their customers? To my knowledge, every company in this world, small or big they have their own Quality Control Department who are responsible in testing and see to it that the product is not defective and it is fully functional before releasing it.

This is made in the U.S. product and I'm very impressed in all products that are made in the U.S.A. but I think this EL-8 has some failure in production and quality. In first glance I'm very impressed with the presentation and made up my mind that this will be my next purchase of HEADPHONE before going to LCDX or HD800.

Reading many reviews of the EL-8 and most of the complains is the defect on the product made me dismays on this CAN.
I will be hoping that AUDEZE will address all this problem with their new EL-8. This problem will also reflect to BMW as they are the one who design the looks of the product.
It's entirely possible it was damaged in shipping, planars are finnicky at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back