Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #587 of 711
Got my EL-8 Closed yesterday, second head from a fellow Head Fi member, from the box (white) and the dated cert of authenticity (01-30-2017), I'm pretty sure these are the 2016-voiced revision.

My brain is taking some time to adjust to them as I found them rather sterile and unexciting the first day, but they're growing on me, although thanks to the excellent customer service at Audeze, I have purchased a Cipher cable that I should be getting next week, as I'm curious as to the difference in sound with that versus the standard 3.5mm cable I now have.

I'm hoping that @KMann has some EQ settings that emulate the Cipher EQ for the EL-8 closed in the manner he has posted for the iSINE series. :L3000:
El-8 Cipher EQ is a simple Bass boost. You could either try the free Audeze Reveal plugin or Roon Audeze preset if you want a different sound

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #588 of 711
El-8 Cipher EQ is a simple Bass boost. You could either try the free Audeze Reveal plugin or Roon Audeze preset if you want a different sound

Thanks for the response, that helps! I have the Cipher cable ordered but in the meantime I can take the EL-8 home from my office, as at home I have hardware bass boost on my iFi iCAN amp.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #589 of 711
Just got my Cipher cable and the first thing I noticed -- it gets way louder than I can listen to, at least when playing modern, compressed pop music. I have it about... 6 clicks (?) below max volume and just had to reduce it another notch because it was getting too loud.

This cable has made it far more usable with my iPhone 8 Plus than it was previously just using the Apple headphone dongle and the standard 3.5mm cable.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #591 of 711
Just heard from Audeze over the weekend that they no longer have the EL8 Titanium Closed in stock and it's discontinued.

Bummer.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #595 of 711
Just bought the EL8Ts, as a bit of an impulse buy as I saw them sale (I guess that's why ^). Has anyone managed to get the cipher cable working on an android phone? There are lightning to usb-c adapters, but it's not clear if they actually work for data. I think the app may be iOS only - is the app needed for the cipher cable to work?

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #596 of 711
The Cipher cable is an apple only cable designed to work on the iPhone mostly but works pretty well on the iPad. If you have an android device you are really out of luck on that one. There is a very strong sellers market for these here on headfi.

Having said all of that, the functionality you get from the Cipher cable can be had with a high resolution plug in from the Android store and any number of headphone amplifiers. You will get the better sound the Audeze are capable of and the ability to play and manage more formats. The Audeze EL8 series, when used correctly is one of the better headphone products marketed. I have had them, Mr Speakers and HiFiman HE6 headphones as well. I used mine with my Pono player in balanced mode and found it to be really well balanced, warm and with good bass slam. Certainly they were not as good as my HE-6 but they are certainly a very good buy.

I have seen them really cheap on the used market.

I think that Audeze is looking for a new headphone design to eliminate the only thing I really had against them -- that confounding cable that nobody has the right connectors for to make better cables. C3 cable company can do it and they make a cable for around $140 that made a HUGE difference in mine. I believe that we are going to see a revamped line up in time for the Summer headphone shows.

Happy listening with your EL8 closed.

FBFA

May 16, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #597 of 711
EL-9 may be

Aw... Then it wouldn't have the fun word-play. EL-8 sounds like 'elate'.

I also like to refer to mine as El Ocho. :sweat_smile:

May 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #598 of 711
Aw... Then it wouldn't have the fun word-play. EL-8 sounds like 'elate'.

I also like to refer to mine as El Ocho. :sweat_smile:

giphy.gif

HAH! :D Love it.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #600 of 711
Couple of questions:

EL-8 Closed (bamboo) vs EL-8 Titanium -- same sound signature/tuning when used with regular non-Cipher cable? The Titanium version seems to be about an ounce lighter, but otherwise is the difference simply cosmetic?

Were there any revisions over the years to EL-8 Closed for some difference in sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back