Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #647 of 711
Nice! Great price.

Dec 28, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #648 of 711
There are a handful of EL-8 ti (used, E+ condition with 30 day returns) on Adorama for $189. I had been wanting a pair, and had been holding out for something around $250. This price is a steal. Just ordered a pair.

They also had some at $169 and $159. I picked up a pair "missing the carry bag" and was curious about the EL-8 closed since the price drop this summer. They just landed and wanted to post some quick thoughts in case anyone is on the fence.

First impressions:
Condition "Used": Mine arrived packaged well in the original box which appeared new apart from the two plastic sticker seals being cut open. I am not sure if these were refurb or demo, but the headphones themselves appear 100% new and unused. No sign of fingerprints, wear and tear, or pad wear. The cables did appear used or at least untied and retied later. So if anyone has concerns about purchasing "used" from Adorama, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

Build: These certainly are very heavy as everyone has suggested. That said they are surprisingly comfortable and non-fatiguing to wear despite their heft. Some video reviews (prob Josh Valour if memory serves) mentioned that the earcup connections swiveled at different resistance and mine were no different. The left cup is ideal and the right is a tad tight, but will probably loosen up with some use.

I very much dislike the cable connectors and are glad to see Audeze decide to discontinue. The connectors have no color indication of the direction they need to be inserted with the only visual cue being a curved-vs-flat side that is quite subtle where the connector meets. I would imagine it could be very easy to ruin these connectors. I suggest leaving the cable in place whenever possible.

The headband, though not extremely padded wasn't uncomfortable, though I can imagine with some use the foam could deflate with time and that might change the comfort. If you have a large or wide head, comfort could be an issue.

Earpads: The earpads to me present two issues. Though overall comfort is quite nice and use over an hour didn't cause any discomfort for me, I would say those that don't like protein leather will not be satisfied. So issue one is they are non-removable so pad rolling is a pain due to the glue used. Issue two is the angle and seal seem like an oversight from Audeze. The angle is extreme causing the seal to break easy which kills all bass response. When the sealed, they do cause a suction or pressure that some my find uncomfortable. However, I was surprised though I am usually sensitive to this effect, it didn't bother me if I gave it a minute or popped my ears.

One of my concerns was alleviated about the seal that is well known with the LCD line.. there is no diaphragm popping when putting on the headphones. I will experience this with my HE-4s with Audeze vegan pads if I'm not careful so I was pleasantly surprised that this was not an issue!

I would like to note that I wear glasses and I can comfortably where my EL-8c with glasses with no negative impact to sound or comfort!

Sound: On to the important bit. I was first interested in these cans due to them not having the typical Audeze sound signature, being closed and blocking a good deal of ambient noise, and finally due to them being difficult to mod (helping reduce the temptation to fuss around with them).

I would have to say, upon first listen, they hit what I was looking for sound signature and will be keeping them. They don't really have any particular strength and are a tad finicky getting a seal without causing too much pressure, but if both those conditions are met, they are some of the least fatiguing headphones I have listened too. They seem to sound rather good from any source including a PS4 controller. I haven't had a chance to hook up my Audio-GD setup due to travel so I cannot comment on how well they scale. But, first impressions are very positive.

*please note that I did experience some artifacting from the PS4 controller that I haven't noticed with other headphones, so they may be more revealing that my DT990s or DT150s.

I won't comment too much on sound signature since that information has been around for a while. That said, soundstage is decent for a closed headphone and doesn't have the "echo" or reverb I usually associate with a closed headphone. They kind of remind me of a semi-opened can like my AQ Nighthawk. The sound isn't thick or woolly nor is it light and airy. I will say I usually prefer a V-shaped sound and this seems more neutral than I would normally lean. Vocals are very clear and just past intimate. Nothing seems particularly artificial.

Observations:
I wouldn't say I've had any moments where I go "oh what was that sound", so they are not soundstage champs. As some suggest, putting some padding or fabric in the cushions to move the driver further from the ear would probably help with sounstage, but I would worry about breaking the seal and killing the bass.

I would like to mention that unlike some of my closed headphones, I couldn't hear myself breath like with in-ears, but the cable does transfer noise quiet easily if it rubs against itself. I do wish the cable had a nice cotton or nylon sleeve. I will probably look into an aftermarket cable for these down the road.

One thing I was delighted with that is not common for planars is these sound fantastic at low volume. I have listened to many planars and typically sound better as the volume is increase. The EL-8c sound lovely at low volumes, much better than I would have expected.

I have not tested the Cipher cable and will probably not unless I purchase the anker lightning to usb-c adaptor to test with my laptop. For now, works perfectly well with my LG G8.

I rarely decide to purchase new headphones these days, so I was surprised that these fit into my wheelhouse. Good job Audeze, if you would have made hybrid pads, non-proprietary connectors or a better cable, and made it slightly lighter in weight... I think these would have probably been successful. It's really too bad. You never know when the hype train will work for or against you.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #649 of 711
I just got my pair. Unfortunately, one of the channels is being a little quirky, and dropped out a few times. Wiggling of the connector got things working again. Hopefully this does not get worse. At $169, I can live with it in it's current state. Some initial thoughts:

I'm driving them with the (fabulous) Linear Tube Audio MZ2 with no issues. They sound pretty much like I was expecting them to. They are more on the energetic side, being just short of what I would call brash. I lean towards a lush sound, so filter that in. I do really like an impactful, punchy mid/upper bass, and these have that quality. But as others have said, fairly neutral, while still maintaining a lively character.

They do perform well at lower volumes, but I sort of want to crank them up for some reason. They seem to be more at home with more raucous material than delicate passages.

These seal/isolate like a mother____. Very little leakage in/out. In fact they feel like they will suck either your eardrum or the driver membrane out if you remove them too abruptly. And it seems they need a second to achieve pressure equilibrium when you first put them on. This in itself makes them a little more fatiguing than an open design simply due the sense of claustrophobia this isolation creates. These will be the the cans I will wear when my wife is sitting right behind me on a conference call in our home office, and I won't hear her, and she won't hear me. She was shouting at me a few minutes ago and I didn't hear a thing. I feel like these will fair almost as well as my noise cancelling Beoplay h9i on the airplane.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #650 of 711
I just got my pair. Unfortunately, one of the channels is being a little quirky, and dropped out a few times. Wiggling of the connector got things working again. Hopefully this does not get worse. At $169, I can live with it in it's current state. Some initial thoughts:

I'm driving them with the (fabulous) Linear Tube Audio MZ2 with no issues. They sound pretty much like I was expecting them to. They are more on the energetic side, being just short of what I would call brash. I lean towards a lush sound, so filter that in. I do really like an impactful, punchy mid/upper bass, and these have that quality. But as others have said, fairly neutral, while still maintaining a lively character.

They do perform well at lower volumes, but I sort of want to crank them up for some reason. They seem to be more at home with more raucous material than delicate passages.

These seal/isolate like a mother____. Very little leakage in/out. In fact they feel like they will suck either your eardrum or the driver membrane out if you remove them too abruptly. And it seems they need a second to achieve pressure equilibrium when you first put them on. This in itself makes them a little more fatiguing than an open design simply due the sense of claustrophobia this isolation creates. These will be the the cans I will wear when my wife is sitting right behind me on a conference call in our home office, and I won't hear her, and she won't hear me. She was shouting at me a few minutes ago and I didn't hear a thing. I feel like these will fair almost as well as my noise cancelling Beoplay h9i on the airplane.
Sounds pretty identical to my experience with them (except for the dropping out channel).

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #651 of 711

Even I have got the cable issue. Yesterday bought it from Adorama for 39 bucks. That will make it to sing properly again.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #652 of 711

I would ask for an RMA and swap for a new pair. It could be the cable, but why risk it? Adorama is pretty good with customer service, I hear.

I have the same "suction" issues if I don't put them on in a certain way at times.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #653 of 711
Even I have got the cable issue. Yesterday bought it from Adorama for 39 bucks. That will make it to sing properly again.

So you are saying it's a cable issue, rather than something internal? That's encouraging. Any aftermarket cable options?

I would ask for an RMA and swap for a new pair. It could be the cable, but why risk it? Adorama is pretty good with customer service, I hear.

They have 30 day returns, but if I did, the only replacement option currently would be the wood cup version for 699. The 169 option is gone, and was probably the last of the open box items. If it does not get worse, I'm inclined to live with it.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #654 of 711
So you are saying it's a cable issue, rather than something internal? That's encouraging. Any aftermarket cable options?

They have 30 day returns, but if I did, the only replacement option currently would be the wood cup version for 699. The 169 option is gone, and was probably the last of the open box items. If it does not get worse, I'm inclined to live with it.

Here is one option from Mimic Cables: https://www.mimic-cables.com/collections/sleeved-cables/products/custom-headphone-cable

Unfortunately, the cable I bought (from Ursine Audio) and the cable I considered buying (from Charleston Audio) are both no longer available, AFAIK.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #655 of 711
It seems like the EL-8s are gremlin prone, and I'm not alone with the intermittent sound fading issues. Anyone know if Audeze will still service these? Are there any other closed back with a similar sound signature & isolation? I do like these a lot, as a contrast to my other headphones.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #656 of 711
I have been using EL8 at work for a couple of years now. The isolation and almost zero leakage makes them perfect office headphones. I like the sound as well (driving them from either AK SR15 or Mojo). However, after daily usage, the pads are in need of replacement. What are my options? Has anyone replaced ear pads successfully? Thanks

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #657 of 711
I lately bought the EL-8 Titanium with CIPHER.
B-stock, fully factory refurbished directly from AUDEZE via Amazon.com, for $249.
It came in with complete packaging, in like new state.
Seems it's the last iteration with the special form multi-layer cloth-felt insert for sound tuning in the cup:

Initially I was just after a CIPHER cable to modify and use it with other phones, took the EL-8 as a bonus which I thought I would sell, but after hearing it there is no way I will part with it.

I'm very happy with my purchase, it's a very high-quality phone and can hold a candle against my other high-end phones like HIFIMAN HE1000, STAX SR009 and others, and I have none of the problems mentioned in this thread.

In fact soundwise it's a perfect match with CIPHER, and the 10 Band Graphic EQ App is a unique and valuable extension that no other affordable DAP offers.
It can change the EL-8 into several different headphones - nice!
For me it even has way enough power too, my usual listening level is 7 clicks down, that's 11dB (or 12.5 times) below power maximum!

BTW: General question to all of you: what are your CIPHER's firmware versions, visible in the app's settings?

Each CIPHER has it's headphone model's specific frequency response (look here for the FrRes. of the VST plugin: https://m.imgur.com/a/MFLnI ), none of the CIPHER's is just straight linear.
The ones made for the in-ears, like iSine, LCDi4 etc., are quite extreme with deviations of up to 12dB.

The one for the EL-8/SINE has only a 3dB bass boost.
Here is a measurement of the EL-8/SINE CIPHER frequency response:

Audeze EL8 Titanium Cipher-6dB on Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153:

Here are some suggested EQ settings.
The EQ, of course, cannot completely change characteristics.
But the sound colors come close.
I will come back here from time to time and add new ones.
You got a great deal. They really do sound great with the cipher cable and very convenient to use.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #658 of 711
It seems like the EL-8s are gremlin prone, and I'm not alone with the intermittent sound fading issues. Anyone know if Audeze will still service these? Are there any other closed back with a similar sound signature & isolation? I do like these a lot, as a contrast to my other headphones.
I had the left driver go out on my 2016 EL-8 Ti's about a month ago and Audeze fixed it for free. I really think that Audeze customer service and support is the best that I have experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back