Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #91 of 711

I've had my el8 closed for a few months now with no issues whatsoever. Might by worth you returning them for a new pair from a different batch.

Problem is it seems to be a wide spread issue.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8

I had my EL-8C for 5+ months, in constant use due to my review work, and not a single issue.   The problem with "crackling" found in some of the early models was an issue related to the packaging which incurred a mechanical stress on planar magnetic drivers.

Regarding "fatal flaw", the complain about dislike of magnetic connectors and the fact they are keyed to go in one way?  I agree, it's rather an unorthodox connector type, which also makes it harder to find a replacement cable, but it's not really a "flaw" but rather Audezes design decision.  Do we call an industry standard 2-pin IEM/CIEM connectors a flaw since you need to have polarity of pins aligned between L/R pieces and can't randomly flip it?  Not really.  Sure, mmcx connector is fool-proof to attach, but they got their own issues.  Just saying cause "fatal flaw" sounds a bit harsh
wink.gif

Regarding crackling issue, I would strongly encourage you guys to contact Audeze and file a claim under warranty.  A perfectly working EL-8/C doesn't crackle, it SINGS
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #92 of 711

I had my EL-8C for 5+ months, in constant use due to my review work, and not a single issue.   The problem with "crackling" found in some of the early models was an issue related to the packaging which incurred a mechanical stress on planar magnetic drivers.

Regarding "fatal flaw", the complain about dislike of magnetic connectors and the fact they are keyed to go in one way?  I agree, it's rather an unorthodox connector type, which also makes it harder to find a replacement cable, but it's not really a "flaw" but rather Audezes design decision.  Do we call an industry standard 2-pin IEM/CIEM connectors a flaw since you need to have polarity of pins aligned between L/R pieces and can't randomly flip it?  Not really.  Sure, mmcx connector is fool-proof to attach, but they got their own issues.  Just saying cause "fatal flaw" sounds a bit harsh
wink.gif

Regarding crackling issue, I would strongly encourage you guys to contact Audeze and file a claim under warranty.  A perfectly working EL-8/C doesn't crackle, it SINGS
biggrin.gif

Mine are going back I'm still in the return window. I contacted Audeze over a week ago no reply. That packaging excuse doesn't fly with me. Mine have a pretty new date on them. I talked to several people about it at the NY meet this past weekend including some Audeze dealers they didn't really buy it either. I hope you continue to have no problems.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #93 of 711
Sorry to hear that you have to send it back. The EL-8 is a very good headphone. I've been using it in my office for at least 3 hours per day. So far I have no issue. May be you could ask them to send you a new pair or ask for an exchange with your original purchaser.

Best of luck.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #94 of 711
I agree with this.
Aside from misuse on my part, I've had absolutely no issues with the headphones, and after contacting Audeze, they have been prompt and helpful in addressing the issue.
They sound better than almost anything near their price and I think it's a shame that people seem to enjoy bashing them.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #95 of 711
for people who have owned both these and the HifiMan HE400 how does the low end compare, I was looking for some closed planars for work and hoping the EL-8C's might be what I was looking for.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #96 of 711
  I agree with this.
Aside from misuse on my part, I've had absolutely no issues with the headphones, and after contacting Audeze, they have been prompt and helpful in addressing the issue.
They sound better than almost anything near their price and I think it's a shame that people seem to enjoy bashing them.

I don't think people are bashing them. But there is a definite quality control issue. Connectors problems ear cup developing noise issues or just plain DOA. They are indeed a very good sounding headphone and hopefully they will fix the issues. There are a few threads where people are on there 3rd or 4th pair and still not working. There has been talk of a recall but nothing yet. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #97 of 711
I'm just going on observations here as I spend a fair bit of time on both head-fi as well as 4chan's headphone thread on the technology board.
I won't deny that there are obvious issues with it, and head-fi's community is a lot more welcome and nicer than that of 4chan but there is also a lot of hate for such a good headphone, more so than I believe is due. Regardless, I hope everyone who has had issues with the EL-8s gets them resolved and that Audeze gets their issues together.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #98 of 711
How does the treble compare to other headphones? What other cans sounds similar up top? That high distortion had wondering.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #99 of 711
The key difference between the EL-8C and the EL-8O is in the high end. I find the open-backed model to have a bit of a recessed high end, still detailed and precise but less powerful and less sparkle which is part of what makes the EL-8C so magical.
Regarding comparisons, I would have no idea what other headphones it would stack up to but I will say that they sound like baby LCD-3s. The similarities are so close it's almost staggering.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #100 of 711
Hi all,

I was at RMAF in october and got to listen to the EL-8C and was very impressed with the sound and isolation of these headphones. I really loved the LCD XC but they were way too heavy to use at work in my environment. I also tried the OPPO PM-3 and thought they were really nice as well. At the time I had a thought about the connectors possibly being an issue for my application at work (possibly getting caught on things while working and coming out) but I thought that maybe I'll just need to be careful about it...cause they sound fantastic! So I did only a small bit of reading on them and happened to miss the "issues" with them. I have a set coming today and hope that I dont have any of the stated connector issues or the crackling problems. I plan to burn them in for at least 48hrs prior to any critiquing. I also plan to use them nearly daily off of a FIIO X5II.

For reference I'm coming from a FIIO X3 first gen and a set of Sennheiser HD380PRO headphones. If I have any of these issues I plan to return them ASAP and give the OPPO PM-3 a try.

If anyone has any additional advice regarding the EL-8C please feel free to let me know.

I want to give Brian at RazorDog Audio a shout for his help and advice. He is great to deal with!

Thank you, Brian

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #101 of 711
I want to give Brian at RazorDog Audio a shout for his help and advice. He is great to deal with!

Thank you, Brian

I bought my headphones from Brian at RazorDog too, and no issues. In fact, he held up my original delivery to ensure he had a good batch to send. Kudos!
And if you have issues, RazorDog is a good place for support!

Enjoy!

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #102 of 711
I bought my headphones from Brian at RazorDog too, and no issues. In fact, he held up my original delivery to ensure he had a good batch to send. Kudos!
And if you have issues, RazorDog is a good place for support!

Enjoy!

Great to know Sir.

Thank you!

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #104 of 711
  I ordered a balanced cable about 1,5 months ago and maybe 10 days ago it arrived, now the cable appears to be broken somewhere near the connector (2.5mm, AK)
really dissapointing.

Who did you order from?

Shipments direct from Audeze should only take a few days. My balanced Pono to EL-8 connector was broken. I spoke to the dealer and he had a replacement cable to me in just a few days, which was shipped direct from Audeze.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #105 of 711
  Who did you order from?

Shipments direct from Audeze should only take a few days. My balanced Pono to EL-8 connector was broken. I spoke to the dealer and he had a replacement cable to me in just a few days, which was shipped direct from Audeze.

Thanks, ordered from my trusted dealer. 
Contacted Audeze and they're sending me one immediately. Wicked customer service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back