Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #76 of 711
Ok, after about a week with the EL-8 I'm convinced these are my best sounding portables. The weight may bother some people but it doesn't bother me at all.Some of my friends are actually preferring the sound of these over my Alpha Dogs and Nighthawks. I don't but I'll tell you, it's a pretty close race.

Ultimately though I believe that the connector issue is just a bad design decision and if used for a length of time ear cups will continue to fail as they have been if used continually in portable situations, and if your goal is to have a high end portable the search is still on. They're either too big and bulky, leak badly, or have durability issues.

I'm going to try to ride out the month with the EL-8 as my go-to portable until I get Ether C.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #77 of 711
Its too bad to know about the connector issues. The build quality is supreme on the EL-8 aside from the connectors.

They are also very comfortable, but maybe too big for serious daily portability.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #79 of 711
  Agreed.... something I would expect for headphones of this quality and price.

It doesn't come with a case, but it does come with a nice-ish "carrying bag" which appears to be made out of some sort of high(er) quality fabric...

I think Audeze is starting to figure out just how much their customers are willing to pay...

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #80 of 711
These are my work and travel phones. I typically bring them into work on Monday, and back home again with me on Friday. I had to carry them in a separate bag to ensure their safety. The last time I traveled, I had to bring the entire box. The travel case, at only $39, is a significant upgrade for me
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #81 of 711
EL-8 on truck for delivery today. I'm pretty excited. Picked them up for $550 shipped a pretty good deal I think.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #82 of 711
I've had my EL-8C for about a month now and I've been fortunate-enough to have no problems with the headphones themselves. The only warning I would issue is that when using them while out and about, the way the wire is, it received enough abuse from my pant pocket to mess it up right by the micro-jack. Now I've found it is best to connect it to a device in my jacket or sweater pocket but I'm still a little weary. Just putting that out there...

Otherwise, they've been a delight. I ordered the Little Dot 1+ and it's on it's way and I can't wait to hear how the EL-8s will sound when combined with it.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #83 of 711
You can order a much shorter cable from Audeze, it's a mic cable too. I've been using it.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #84 of 711
The short, mic cable happened to be the one that I was using when it got beaten up by my pocket.

Fortunately, despite being proprietary, Audeze doesn't try to rip you off for their cables (a replacement is only $59) compared to my Westones which want roughly $90-100 for the cable.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #85 of 711
I have had them for a couple of weeks now and the cup issue has hit me. I'm getting a crackling almost suction type of sound in the left cup whenI move my head. It's not constant but its there and starting to develop in the right cup also. It's really to bad because I really like them a lot..I can return for a exchange or refund still in that window. The problem seems to be just a little to common to take a exchange so I guess they will be going home. I bought a Charleston Cable Company canare cable for them and that seems to make it worse. It's a much more weighty cable so maybe its a connector issue of some sort even though when moving the cable it didn't happen.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #86 of 711
I'm getting crackling in both cups now but I really don't want to go through the exchange process again, think I'll just take the loss.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #87 of 711
  I'm getting crackling in both cups now but I really don't want to go through the exchange process again, think I'll just take the loss.

It's a shame because they are very good headphones. Sound and look great and very comfortable.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #88 of 711
  It's a shame because they are very good headphones. Sound and look great and very comfortable.

They're extremely good sounding headphones. But I think this cup issue and the connectors have pretty much killed them in my view.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #90 of 711
I've had my el8 closed for a few months now with no issues whatsoever. Might by worth you returning them for a new pair from a different batch.

Problem is it seems to be a wide spread issue.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764120/fatal-flaw-with-audeze-el-8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back