Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #47 of 711
I have just got some PM3's to compliment my open backed EL-8's ... definitely different as opposed to one better than the other - though I do prefer the EL-8 open back.  

I would never use it walking around though as it just looks silly ... and weighs a lot more which is just as well as I would probably be after the EL-8 closed back as well !!   The PM3's are superbly light and ok for mobile use.  I am using them with an Oppo HA-2 which works well.

I have only had limited listening time but the comments already made seems spot on.  The open EL-8's have improved nicely with time but I think I only have maybe 80 hours on them.  The PM3's seemed fine out of the box and I can't see their sound changing much ... time will tell.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #48 of 711
Has anyone for EL-8 closed back and open backed / tried both that can give me an idea how similar they are ?    Aside from the obvious difference of closed back what real effect does the closed back have in this case - More base / smaller soundstage to the closed back ones ?  

Most reviews are for the closed back ones yet it seems from what I read that Audeze will sell more open backed ones -- or am I wrong ?

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 711
I'm considering the EL-8C for outside use. Can anyone confirm them being driven by either an AK100II or FiiO X5 (2nd)?
I know it shouldn't be a problem, still looking for someone who tried them with these DAPs.

thanks

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #50 of 711
Has anyone for EL-8 closed back and open backed / tried both that can give me an idea how similar they are ?    Aside from the obvious difference of closed back what real effect does the closed back have in this case - More base / smaller soundstage to the closed back ones ?  

Most reviews are for the closed back ones yet it seems from what I read that Audeze will sell more open backed ones -- or am I wrong ?

Hi man. I auditioned both closed back and open back twice. Most recently two days ago.

I usually prefer an open back headphone but for some reason open back did not impress me on the EL-8.

I prefer the closed back version because the unique EL-8 sound signature is more present in the closed version. Especially the textured bass.

Unfortunately imo the planar textured bass is less coherent and solid on the open version.

Both EL-8 versions sound more bright to me than any other Audeze product. Especially the closed version. But I felt the closed version have something special and the open version are inferior imo because the sound you get on the EL-8 open version is not worth the money when you can get a better sound either for 100 dollars more on another brand or maybe even better with the 400s HIFIMAN.

But, I never heard any EL-8 with an amp. An amp could maybe change everything. Although I liked the closed back unamped. I wasn't impressed with the open back unamped.

Last note: the build quality is remarkable and extremely satisfying on both EL-8 models but I do prefer how the open version looks.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #51 of 711
Owned the El-8 closed now for a couple of months and am still trying to find a suitable for case, someone suggested the Casebudi XL but that's not available online anywhere in the UK.
Does anybody know where I can get one or an equivalent??  I'd prefer it to have a foam insert to protect the headphones more than just a fabric bag.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #53 of 711
  Owned the El-8 closed now for a couple of months and am still trying to find a suitable for case, someone suggested the Casebudi XL but that's not available online anywhere in the UK.
Does anybody know where I can get one or an equivalent??  I'd prefer it to have a foam insert to protect the headphones more than just a fabric bag.

Slappa Pro: http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B009NE7B06/. You are welcome
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #55 of 711
Sep 10, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #56 of 711

I use one of these - It's big enough to house the rest of my portable setup as well as the EL-8s.  Might be too big if you want something for just the headphones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ape-Case-ACWP6025-Waterproof-Small/dp/B007B65A38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441901686&sr=8-1&keywords=ACWP6025

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #57 of 711
Just got it from someone that there's an EL-8 recall here in the UK. Apparently there was an air-pressure issue when the headphones shipped that caused the ear cups to fail and they *think* it may have caused the issue with the screeching high mids. 

They said Audeze may be shipping the replacements in the coming weeks, but it could be over a month before the new batch is in. 

So, if you're in the UK it may not be a good idea to buy EL-8's used or off eBay from unauthorized sellers. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #58 of 711
Just got my open backs and had to get them replaced because one channel was out. They said it was an issue with the shipping packaging. 2nd set is great. Had to pay shipping back, but they gave me a free apple cable. If you're in the states, I highly recommend RazorDog Audio.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #60 of 711
Got what may be a dumb question but the EL-8s will they eventually make balanced cables like the higher end Audeze's have?   Or are these headphones more geared towards single ended amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back