Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #121 of 711
Ether C is is very light-much lighter than the EL-8C and the connectors are rock solid. The drawback is you will probably need a headphone amp and also it doesn't have as much bass as the EL-8C

Ill look at those... i have heard of them just never looked into them... Thanks

Question... do you know if the Chord Mojo would be sufficient to drive those? ...or possibly one of the future amp modules for the Fiio X7! I currently have a Fiio X5 II.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #122 of 711
Ether C is is very light-much lighter than the EL-8C and the connectors are rock solid. The drawback is you will probably need a headphone amp and also it doesn't have as much bass as the EL-8C

Hey... just looked at your sig...you own the Ether C? Can you comment on the isolation? Those look interesting. Thoughts? Thanks, Brian

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #123 of 711

I do understand about the price difference... However the reality is that the PM-3 new is always $399usd... The retail price of the EL-8C is $699usd and can be had new for around $575-600usd. So the price difference ends up being only around $200usd different.

That aside the PM-3 are VERY capable for the $$$. I am looking for some relatively portable closed cans for work. So far I haven't found anything better that is about the same size or weight (or less). I'd really love to go with the LCD-XC but they are just too big and heavy for my application. I was at RMAF in October and tried a few out. The EL-8C was the most impressive that met my criteria... At least of what was there to try.

Wait, the Ether C has less bass than even the EL-8C? Even with some EQ (I know it's supposedly light out of the box the Mr Speakers claims it respond well to EQ)? I've been going back and forth between the Ether C and the LCD-XC for my future closed headphone. If the Ether C can't match it (bass quality/quantity wise) then I guess it's the XC for me lol (slight basshead here
biggrin.gif
).

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #124 of 711

Wait, the Ether C has less bass than even the EL-8C? Even with some EQ (I know it's supposedly light out of the box the Mr Speakers claims it respond well to EQ)? I've been going back and forth between the Ether C and the LCD-XC for my future closed headphone. If the Ether C can't match it (bass quality/quantity wise) then I guess it's the XC for me lol (slight basshead here
biggrin.gif
).

Ether C does have bass. Only it has everything else too, so the bass may not be as apparent. It wasn't my personal cup-of-tea because it was so darn detailed - Ether and HiFiMan HE-1000 (yes, I know these are not closed, but just talking sonic character) were much more to my taste.

I highly recommend you have a listen, for yourself, to the Ether C before doing something rash like LCD-XC 
ph34r.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #125 of 711

Ill look at those... i have heard of them just never looked into them... Thanks

Question... do you know if the Chord Mojo would be sufficient to drive those? ...or possibly one of the future amp modules for the Fiio X7! I currently have a Fiio X5 II.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a better pair up with a higher power or balanced X7 modules, cause I didn't enjoy synergy of EL-8C with a default IEM module.  Coincidentally, PM-3 pair up was excellent.

From my X7 review: "EL-8C - doesn't drive it to a full potential, bass is not as tight and missing sub-bass texture and treble has a little bit of metallic sheen, sound is a bit thin."

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #126 of 711
Keeping my fingers crossed for a better pair up with a higher power or balanced X7 modules, cause I didn't enjoy synergy of EL-8C with a default IEM module.  Coincidentally, PM-3 pair up was excellent.

From my X7 review: "EL-8C - doesn't drive it to a full potential, bass is not as tight and missing sub-bass texture and treble has a little bit of metallic sheen, sound is a bit thin."

Thanks for the info. Yea...I had the X3 first gen then was waiting for the X7 but I really still want to wait to see what will happen to the X7 and options over the next several months... I tried an Hm-901 for a small stint but gawd what a horrible interface. Still considering the Mojo with my X5 as I do like the interface... Waiting and watching to continue.

Thanks all.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #127 of 711

biggrin.gif
).

Ether C does have bass. Only it has everything else too, so the bass may not be as apparent. It wasn't my personal cup-of-tea because it was so darn detailed - Ether and HiFiMan HE-1000 (yes, I know these are not closed, but just talking sonic character) were much more to my taste.

I highly recommend you have a listen, for yourself, to the Ether C before doing something rash like LCD-XC 
ph34r.gif

Don't like the LCD-XC eh? lol

Who offers a good demo (or return policy) for the Ether C? I see "Tweek Geek" seems to offer fee free returns (or you can just ask for a demo for 1 or 2 weekends). Any others?

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #128 of 711

Don't like the LCD-XC eh? lol

Who offers a good demo (or return policy) for the Ether C? I see "Tweek Geek" seems to offer fee free returns (or you can just ask for a demo for 1 or 2 weekends). Any others?

I'm definitely a fan of the Audeze line-up, including the sometimes confused EL-8 (I own the EL-8C). However, not a fan of the LCD-XC.

Not sure what to suggest - our local group is also trying to get hold of a demo of the Ether / Ether C for our meets. I'll definitely PM you if I find something. Kinda got to find a show that is a reasonable distance. I was (lucky to be) able to travel about 90 minutes from work (was on travel for work) to a meet and heard the Ether and Ether C. I'm sure Mr. Speakers will be working on distribution this year.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #129 of 711
Just received my el8 closed backs. Coming from a pair of HD650s, I have a few initial impressions. Firstly, they are stunningly gorgeous and of a high quality, especially next to the HD650s. However on the other hand, they are noticeably heavier and the supplied cable is much shorter.

Sound wise, the el8 present a much cleaner show. This surprised me as most reviews I've seen describe the hd650s as providing more detail. I find this very much the opposite. The bass seems more prominent on the hd650s, while the treble on the el8s.

On the downside, the el8s are very quick to distort on my higher voltage amplifiers. Quite picky thus far.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #130 of 711
  Just received my el8 closed backs. Coming from a pair of HD650s, I have a few initial impressions. Firstly, they are stunningly gorgeous and of a high quality, especially next to the HD650s. However on the other hand, they are noticeably heavier and the supplied cable is much shorter.

Sound wise, the el8 present a much cleaner show. This surprised me as most reviews I've seen describe the hd650s as providing more detail. I find this very much the opposite. The bass seems more prominent on the hd650s, while the treble on the el8s.

On the downside, the el8s are very quick to distort on my higher voltage amplifiers. Quite picky thus far.

I'm curious - what high voltage amplifiers are you using? Are you referring to tube amplifiers?

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #131 of 711
I'm curious - what high voltage amplifiers are you using? Are you referring to tube amplifiers?

Yes, for example the crack is especially intolerable. That's understandable considering it was designed without the notion of driving planars. I certainly wasn't expecting them to pair well.

Another thing I'm going to have to look into is upgrading the headband padding, as the top of my head gets sore. Switching to the hd650s when this happens provides relief haha.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #132 of 711
Got my new unit from Audeze. The defect is gone, and from initial listening it is no longer piercing bright and the audeze bass slam is present now. Going to let it burn in a little before I listen to it more to avoid brain burn in.

I think I have a defective unit. Its has piercing brights to the point it hurts my ears and the bass is lacking...

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #133 of 711
  I think I have a defective unit. Its has piercing brights to the point it hurts my ears and the bass is lacking...

Yep, definitely defective, return it immediately, same thing happened to me.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #135 of 711
Yes, for example the crack is especially intolerable. That's understandable considering it was designed without the notion of driving planars. I certainly wasn't expecting them to pair well.

Another thing I'm going to have to look into is upgrading the headband padding, as the top of my head gets sore. Switching to the hd650s when this happens provides relief haha.

I think I am having the same issue with mine and the E17 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back