Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Mar 3, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #286 of 652

So given my limited knowledge of this stuff, that would make the HE-1000 much less efficient due to its lower impedance and still being harder to drive?

Erm...I don't think it is related to impedance. Life get's complicated when you start to talk about that, and it becomes more of an interaction with the amplifier.

Simply put, more volts and more watts are required to drive the HE-1000 to the same volume (i.e. 90db) versus the LCD-3F. So the HE-1000 is less efficient 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #288 of 652
Anyone using this as a pre-amp for speakers? Thinking about adding A2+ from audio engine to my setup. Any other suggestions?

I own the A2 and yes, it works great on low gain as preamp. I turn the A2 all the way up and do all the volume control from the Deckard.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #290 of 652
Yes, as long as the A2+ isn't plugged into your computer via USB it just acts as a speaker, I would think. I don't have the plus though, just the regular version without a DAC.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #292 of 652
Here's a question for owners of the Deckard (I searched the thread, but didn't find the answer I was looking for). Does the Deckard support optical digital input, or is it USB only? I'm looking for a home setup, and I'd like to have the ability to connect my PS4 to it via optical out.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #293 of 652
  Here's a question for owners of the Deckard (I searched the thread, but didn't find the answer I was looking for). Does the Deckard support optical digital input, or is it USB only? I'm looking for a home setup, and I'd like to have the ability to connect my PS4 to it via optical out.

I understood that it supports input via RCA, Digital, and USB but if not USB it does not use the DAC. I might be wrong I haven't tested myself.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #294 of 652
It's just USB. No mas.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #295 of 652
But it works great as an amp + optical from another DAC, like my Gumby.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #297 of 652
  Just noticed you use the Gungnir as your Dac but the Deckard only as amp? What kind of improvements have you noticed?

I sent this as a response to a private message on reddit's headphone group, but here's the best way I can describe ti:

It's really hard to describe the difference, but I'll try. From your iPhone to your MacBook to the Deckard's built-in DAC, those DAC chips sound pretty good. Sharp, detailed in the main instruments, vocals are clear, etc. 

What multibit does, specifically Schiit's multibit, is really make each instrument have a 'place' and depth in the music. Do you want to focus on just the guitar in the left channel? Well it's over there and detailed enough that you can hear pretty much everything it's doing. The scraping of the strings, the tapping of the guitar body, its exact tone and attack. Music on other DACs just sounds closed-in and "digital" in comparison. 

Did someone cough before the song started in the studio? You'll hear that level of detail too. The bass isn't just a "thump" -- each note is clearly enunciated, and it can hit your body in a way that's beyond just a 'bass bump'. It goes deeper. It's all presented in a very smooth, analog-sounding way that once you go back to other DACs you'll immediately noticing the lack of.

If you in any way can spend $600 on a DAC without it being a huge financial hit, I would recommend trying it. Or even buy the Bifrost Multibit to try it out and return it if it doesn't do what you want it to do -- it'll cost you $30 to try it out and send it back.

I was very happy with the Deckard, but once I read thoughts on the Bimby on audio sites my itch to try it grew and grew. I don't regret it at all -- in fact I sold the Bimby and got the Gumby. So yeah, I think it's worth it.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #298 of 652

I sent this as a response to a private message on reddit's headphone group, but here's the best way I can describe ti:

It's really hard to describe the difference, but I'll try. From your iPhone to your MacBook to the Deckard's built-in DAC, those DAC chips sound pretty good. Sharp, detailed in the main instruments, vocals are clear, etc. 

What multibit does, specifically Schiit's multibit, is really make each instrument have a 'place' and depth in the music. Do you want to focus on just the guitar in the left channel? Well it's over there and detailed enough that you can hear pretty much everything it's doing. The scraping of the strings, the tapping of the guitar body, its exact tone and attack. Music on other DACs just sounds closed-in and "digital" in comparison. 

Did someone cough before the song started in the studio? You'll hear that level of detail too. The bass isn't just a "thump" -- each note is clearly enunciated, and it can hit your body in a way that's beyond just a 'bass bump'. It goes deeper. It's all presented in a very smooth, analog-sounding way that once you go back to other DACs you'll immediately noticing the lack of.

If you in any way can spend $600 on a DAC without it being a huge financial hit, I would recommend trying it. Or even buy the Bifrost Multibit to try it out and return it if it doesn't do what you want it to do -- it'll cost you $30 to try it out and send it back.

I was very happy with the Deckard, but once I read thoughts on the Bimby on audio sites my itch to try it grew and grew. I don't regret it at all -- in fact I sold the Bimby and got the Gumby. So yeah, I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the details. So The Deckard amp is class a excellent but the dac improvement is drastic.

Have you compared this to the Wa7 and Wa7tp setup? I love the way the Deckard sounds but I always like to know my next step. I think they are a contender for sure but I am not sure about the DAC in that WA7 WA7TP set up.

Are you stacking the Deckard on top of your Dac?

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #299 of 652
  Thanks for the details. So The Deckard amp is class a excellent but the dac improvement is drastic.

Have you compared this to the Wa7 and Wa7tp setup? I love the way the Deckard sounds but I always like to know my next step. I think they are a contender for sure but I am not sure about the DAC in that WA7 WA7TP set up.

Are you stacking the Deckard on top of your Dac?

Nope, haven't heard any other high-end amps. Not sure how much improvement they could offer over the Deckard. 

I have stacked the Deckard on the Gungnir and it worked great. But now I sit them next to each other. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #300 of 652

Nope, haven't heard any other high-end amps. Not sure how much improvement they could offer over the Deckard. 

I have stacked the Deckard on the Gungnir and it worked great. But now I sit them next to each other. 

Whats interesting is the Deckard is a high end amp, but no one is extremely happy with the Dac. Since this is the best Dac amp I have had since the original Schiit Modi Magni stack I have no complaints.

Do you have pictures of them stacked and un stacked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back