Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Feb 29, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #256 of 652
I don't think this cable is shielded and I can't recommend you spending additional money for a new cable because is really expensive.

Instead I can recommend you to manufacture your own power cable by yourself, based on a lot of DIY tutorials over Internet (between 20 to 35 USD per 1.5m of shielded cable) or at least add some "3M flex braid shield" over the existing power cable and connect it directly to power outlet's ground if possible (please, be careful with this and don't do it if you don't feel comfortable working with electricity!). You can cut the cable and remove the power plug so you can connect this 3M braid, then buy a new power plug too. Do not connect the 3M braid to Audeze Deckard metallic case, just isolate 3M braid and only connect it to power outlet's ground!

In case you don't feel comfortable working with electricity, feel free to use the 3M flex braid shield over the existing power cord and just connect it to metallic case of your Deckard (Don't connect it to power ground as well! This shield can only be connected to either metallic case of your amp, either to electricity power ground).

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #258 of 652
I'm honestly not sure, but it's cheap to try.  They're only a few dollars or so.
*EDIT* Try it on the DAC, then try it on the router.  

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #259 of 652
  I don't think this cable is shielded and I can't recommend you spending additional money for a new cable because is really expensive.

Instead I can recommend you to manufacture your own power cable by yourself, based on a lot of DIY tutorials over Internet (between 20 to 35 USD per 1.5m of shielded cable) or at least add some "3M flex braid shield" over the existing power cable and connect it directly to power outlet's ground if possible (please, be careful with this and don't do it if you don't feel comfortable working with electricity!). You can cut the cable and remove the power plug so you can connect this 3M braid, then buy a new power plug too. Do not connect the 3M braid to Audeze Deckard metallic case, just isolate 3M braid and only connect it to power outlet's ground!

In case you don't feel comfortable working with electricity, feel free to use the 3M flex braid shield over the existing power cord and just connect it to metallic case of your Deckard (Don't connect it to power ground as well! This shield can only be connected to either metallic case of your amp, either to electricity power ground).

I don't mind spending the money if it fixes it. I don't have the ability to make the cable. Would you recommend a good shielded cable?

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #260 of 652
  What do you think will fix it?  

Shy away from spending a lot of money on insulated power cables and focus on what produces change.  Interference can't be a major contributing factor if heavy duty shielding doesn't make a difference.  Touching the components themselves does, which indicates it may have something to do with the electrical contacts themselves.  Do you get feedback from any other wireless devices?  I.e., does placing your cellphone near the DAC have any effect?

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #261 of 652
  Shy away from spending a lot of money on insulated power cables and focus on what produces change.  Interference can't be a major contributing factor if heavy duty shielding doesn't make a difference.  Touching the components themselves does, which indicates it may have something to do with the electrical contacts themselves.  Do you get feedback from any other wireless devices?  I.e., does placing your cellphone near the DAC have any effect?

yes cell phone esp. when placed directly on the el-8's cable. Does that mean something else?

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #262 of 652
  yes cell phone esp. when placed directly on the el-8's cable. Does that mean something else?

Troubleshooting.  If a cellphone near your headphones or Deckard doesn't do anything then it's probably not interference.  Have you tried using other headphones with your Deckard?

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #263 of 652
  Troubleshooting.  If a cellphone near your headphones or Deckard doesn't do anything then it's probably not interference.  Have you tried using other headphones with your Deckard?

Just did the same thing with my shure Se535's the tap tap tap tap tap static noise, and when putting the cell phone on the wire I get louder static.

My usually headphones EL-8's do the same thing.

Cell phone near headphones makes more noise, static etc.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #264 of 652
  Just did the same thing with my shure Se535's the tap tap tap tap tap static noise, and when putting the cell phone on the wire I get louder static.

My usually headphones EL-8's do the same thing.

Cell phone near headphones makes more noise, static etc.

If nobody else has reported this problem with their Deckard you may have a faulty unit.  I don't think I've ever heard of a wireless router interrupting regular DAC usage before.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #265 of 652
  If nobody else has reported this problem with their Deckard you may have a faulty unit.  I don't think I've ever heard of a wireless router interrupting regular DAC usage before.

Here is the router 
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/

When tested if I take the Deckard into the other room away from the router I no longer hear the Tap tap tap tap static. Stop about 4 feet from the router.

Can only be heard on High Gain. When really close can be heard on med gain.

Just moved the antenna's of the router facing away and the noise is gone. Very Strange.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #266 of 652
I've been lurking, but still have no clue your source for such a quick purchase at a reduced cost.
I'm waiting for my vendor to get inventory, which is not a problem from my perspective. But I cannot provide you any assistance.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #268 of 652
Another question I have is when the Deckard is on RCA and nothing plugged into the RCA; sound is turned up high enough I can still hear it through my headphones... Seems Strange.

Where can I get a true shielded power cable. I wonder if that would fix it.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #269 of 652
I had this noise when my amplifier was with its case open, so without the upside cover to shield the internals from outside interferences. With my sensitive AKG K550 headphones and high-gain setting I could easily hear strange noises coming from power outlet or power cable. Can you check if all the screws from your Deckard are fully screwed? Use a decent screwdriver to check this, but don't use too much force...you don't want to loose your warranty right now.

Belden 83803 should be OK: http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=119. All I know is that if your power outlet's ground is not good, then this cable will not help at all. Also, indeed-hi-fi-lab seems to have quite decent cables on its eBay shop; if they're really using the same shielded cable from their eBay pictures then I really think this might be a good investment.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #270 of 652
  I had this noise when my amplifier was with its case open, so without the upside cover to shield the internals from outside interferences. With my sensitive AKG K550 headphones and high-gain setting I could easily hear strange noises coming from power outlet or power cable. Can you check if all the screws from your Deckard are fully screwed? Use a decent screwdriver to check this, but don't use too much force...you don't want to loose your warranty right now.

Belden 83803 should be OK: http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=119. All I know is that if your power outlet's ground is not good, then this cable will not help at all. Also, indeed-hi-fi-lab seems to have quite decent cables on its eBay shop; if they're really using the same shielded cable from their eBay pictures then I really think this might be a good investment.

All Screws feel tight. 

Any chance it could be getting in from the open RCA cables slots on the back of the Dac Amp?

I can give one of those cables a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back