Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,442 of 1,894
Had an opportunity to listen to the CRBN again at the pacific audio fest. There were two units there and I ended up trying both as they were on different amps. Not going to comment on the amps as I seriously doubt I could hear the different even in controlled listening.

As for the CRBN, it definitely lived up to how I remember hearing it near the launch at Audeze HQ. It had very pleasant, engrossing, and encompassing presentation. The soundstage doesn't seem overly wide but it is tall and well filled out. CRBN seems to be an extremely detailed set as well. Everything was well separated and easy to pick apart while still remaining intimate enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.

Both units had farting issues, as seems to be commonly reported. Curiously, I experienced the farting with both units on my left ear. So it likely that the geometry of my head probably contributed to it. It didn't seem to be an issue if I was just sitting and listening to music. However, I tried moving my jaw and that did produce the issue. The CRBN is so comfortable that I could see it being an all day wearing sort of headphone. However, if you wanted to use it in your office set up, it would probably not work well for mixed usage (e.g. work calls) due to the farting issue. I know that it is a bit absurd to for that use case but it is so comfortable that someone might actually want to wear it all day while working.

Either way, it is a fantastic headphone both sonically and ergonomically. Would love to spend some more time with a set at some point.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #1,443 of 1,894
Had an opportunity to listen to the CRBN again at the pacific audio fest. There were two units there and I ended up trying both as they were on different amps. Not going to comment on the amps as I seriously doubt I could hear the different even in controlled listening.

As for the CRBN, it definitely lived up to how I remember hearing it near the launch at Audeze HQ. It had very pleasant, engrossing, and encompassing presentation. The soundstage doesn't seem overly wide but it is tall and well filled out. CRBN seems to be an extremely detailed set as well. Everything was well separated and easy to pick apart while still remaining intimate enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.

Both units had farting issues, as seems to be commonly reported. Curiously, I experienced the farting with both units on my left ear. So it likely that the geometry of my head probably contributed to it. It didn't seem to be an issue if I was just sitting and listening to music. However, I tried moving my jaw and that did produce the issue. The CRBN is so comfortable that I could see it being an all day wearing sort of headphone. However, if you wanted to use it in your office set up, it would probably not work well for mixed usage (e.g. work calls) due to the farting issue. I know that it is a bit absurd to for that use case but it is so comfortable that someone might actually want to wear it all day while working.

Either way, it is a fantastic headphone both sonically and ergonomically. Would love to spend some more time with a set at some point.
So I also just came back from that same audio fest. The crbn at the audeze booth have a pretty wild channel imbalance (like about 20%). This was early in the morning. The other one didn’t though. The guy tried it on and he confirmed that, yes, it had channel imbalance which I found funny but felt bad for the guy. After hearing about so many QC issues and then the carbon they had be broken at the show was just wild.

I did hear the normal crbn though. Overall I’d say they weren’t for me. I had my gf with me (not a “trained listener”) and she came to the conclusion that it sounded muffled to her and she had preferred the focals she had tried as well as some Stax models (007 and x9000 were her fav Stax models).

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #1,444 of 1,894

For me the crbn can fit either with 3 notches on headband or 2. I find the 2 more snug and tighter sealed - but produced fart noise when I moved my jaw - however , on notch 3, I could essentially chew gum and it wouldn’t produce the effect.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #1,446 of 1,894
After 2 weeks holiday Today again the first time with the CRBN. I know why it is my number 1 wow just wow.
What makes it your number one if you don’t mind me asking

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,448 of 1,894
Hello Everyone,

I've been out of the game for 18 months and I've been enjoying my 009S but last week I picked up a used CRBN.

My thoughts:

Laptop>RME ADI2 DAC> Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon )>Audeze CRBN

This headphone has impressed me and Audeze have finally 'grown up'. No more clumsy design, this seems very well built and it is a polished design. Hopefully the drivers are durable.

Sound: Neutral tuning and nothing annoys me and I could listen happily without any EQ. I've applied Bob Katz EQ which he described in his Positive Feedback review and with just a 2db bump in bass and a tiny reduction in the highs this headphone sounds very good.

The Bass: For me this is the highlight of the CRBN. It brings something new to Estat land. There is a meatiness to the sound that is impossible with the SR009S due to it's very open design and non clampy earpads.

CRBN pads have a bit of a clamp which is still comfy and they seal much better. I feel like I'm getting most of the Estat benefits without giving up bass.

The price they have paid for that excellent seal and bass is Stax Fart to the extreme. I've owned the SR007 and 009S for a combined 3 years and basically never noticed any issues but when I first got the CRBN it would not stop Farting
:D

During listening sessions where I stay pretty still it's fine so not a deal breaker for me. Once in a while I discharge the connector on some aluminium foil as Katz reccomended in his article. Audeze have been pretty brave with this design choice and I won't ridicule them as I don't think there is any other way to get a Stat to nearly match a planar in bass quality, quantity and impact. I guess people with $10,000 headphone chains are willing to adjust and put up with this quirk. I am for now.

Conclusion: Well done Audeze. The SR009S is still better for classical due to it's larger soundstage and brighter presentation but for most other genres the CRBN beats it IMHO. Not bad at all for a first effort.

Anybody in the EU wants my SR009S at a great price 😉

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,450 of 1,894
Even in soundstage deep CRBN beats 009s easily!
Please no chips during listening hehe.
You don’t need to do much to induce the Stax fart. I never ever eat while listening to my audiophile headphones.

So far for me the secret is discharging the connector on Aluminium foil and then sitting still without adjusting the headphones.

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,453 of 1,894
I always discharge my estats after listening. Hopefully it helps avoid attracting dust. Still always use a dust cover. But the CRBN does seem to benefit from this more than others. I too use the 👍 method. Or any finger of your choice. 😁

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,455 of 1,894
Measurements taken and lots of listening ongoing with this view in front:

20220809_215006.jpg
20220809_215119.jpg

graph (1).png

This sample has zero "farts" even with deliberate motions, although I did notice the diaphragm got stuck to the stator after disconnecting the cable. The foam insert the cable pins go into help dissipate the static build up asap though, and I think we can postulate that the newer CRBNs seem to have pretty much solved the usability concerns from earlier batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back