Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,456 of 1,894
L
Measurements taken and lots of listening ongoing with this view in front:

20220809_215006.jpg 20220809_215119.jpg

graph (1).png

This sample has zero "farts" even with deliberate motions, although I did notice the diaphragm got stuck to the stator after disconnecting the cable. The foam insert the cable pins go into help dissipate the static build up asap though, and I think we can postulate that the newer CRBNs seem to have pretty much solved the usability concerns from earlier batches.
great news for current buyers. When does your review drop? Thanks for sharing measurements

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,457 of 1,894
L

great news for current buyers. When does your review drop? Thanks for sharing measurements
Not for a while unfortunately, this is my first time with e-stat amps and headphones so I need time to try various combinations. For context I have the HIFIMAN Shangri-La Sr also here and the Jr is on the way next week.

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,460 of 1,894
Not for a while unfortunately, this is my first time with e-stat amps and headphones so I need time to try various combinations. For context I have the HIFIMAN Shangri-La Sr also here and the Jr is on the way next week.
Curious in your comparison of the Sr and Jr. I have the Shangra la Jr and have been curious about the differences to the Sr.

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,461 of 1,894
Here is a detailed writeup by Bob Katz on CRBN and also how Bob Katz, Aron Gandia and Gary Cole arrived at the EQ curve and the reference tracks they used for evaluation.
There is also a part 2 that will be published latter.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/audeze-crbn-electrostatic-headphones/
And here is part 2 of Bob Katz review with notes on what he thinks of comparison with Harman target: https://positive-feedback.com/audio...fujGaDcJqLgB25YHBfYtna0-6n0nF4hxBXCngT4MXeWfo

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #1,462 of 1,894
I've spent nearly a week with my CRBN.

A few points which may be helpful for prospective buyers.

1. Stax fart is a non issue if you place the headphones on your head, discharge the headphone connector with your fingers and then plug into the amp. Pads seal very well on my head so even with slight nodding of my head there is no problem.

2. I must repeat this. Incredible bass performance. I owned the LCD4 2 years ago and this has to be 95% as good in a much much more comfortable package. Never thought I'd say that about a stat.

@KMann - I'm guessing this headphone is designed with a 'closed front volume' just like the LCD series? My guess is that is the main reason for excellent bass performance.

IMHO this headphone must be auditioned before settling on a TOTL purchase especially if you want an all rounder and not a genre master like the SR009S.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #1,464 of 1,894
Yes, they are designed for optimal bass performance with a complete seal.
You certainly delivered on that for an estat.
Even tho I personally prefer tastefully elevated Bass.

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,465 of 1,894
I've spent nearly a week with my CRBN.

A few points which may be helpful for prospective buyers.

1. Stax fart is a non issue if you place the headphones on your head, discharge the headphone connector with your fingers and then plug into the amp. Pads seal very well on my head so even with slight nodding of my head there is no problem.

2. I must repeat this. Incredible bass performance. I owned the LCD4 2 years ago and this has to be 95% as good in a much much more comfortable package. Never thought I'd say that about a stat.

@KMann - I'm guessing this headphone is designed with a 'closed front volume' just like the LCD series? My guess is that is the main reason for excellent bass performance.

IMHO this headphone must be auditioned before settling on a TOTL purchase especially if you want an all rounder and not a genre master like the SR009S.

CRBN is one of the best all around of any totl currently. Very favorable to modern music mastering.
I think it could use a little more energy in the treble, but even without that, excellent headphone and imo the best product Audeze has made to date.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #1,467 of 1,894
Haha, we are opposed to cheating on the bass department by intentionally allowing a bad seal and letting a 40Hz resonance give you the feeling of carrying around a sub-woofer .... :wink:

But but but adding a super duper conductor cable for just $2000 will complete the highest resolution personal audio system in the world 😉

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,469 of 1,894
This Headphone is so underrated, it‘s a shame.
Two weeks only with 007 MK2, but my king is Audeze CRBN 👍 I love the 007, but….
Not shure what Stax X9000 can do better, but I will check on my Paltauf ESD MK II soon
When discussing the merits of the CRBN I always have to keep in mind the type of music listened to most often. To my ear, the timbre of string and other acoustic instruments is not quite right on the CRBNs. For electronically produced sounds I think it does quite well. I think they are good at a "wall of sound" style. What the x9000 does that the CRBN is not so good at is fine, layering between instruments and giving an airy delicacy to the overall sound. Here, the x9000 excels. Also, the overall sound of the CRBN is much more forward, especially the midrange, than I like. The first version of the CRBN I received was almost shouty in the mids, but the repaired version was better in this range. It's all a matter of your preferred style of music. Ultimately, the CRBNs didn't have the subtlety and finesse I was looking for for classical. I take them out of the case from time to time to see if I hear them differently, but no, they still remain not the right choice for my listening style. They sit mostly unused. The x9000s and the Shagri-La Sr I use daily.

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,470 of 1,894
When discussing the merits of the CRBN I always have to keep in mind the type of music listened to most often. To my ear, the timbre of string and other acoustic instruments is not quite right on the CRBNs. For electronically produced sounds I think it does quite well. I think they are good at a "wall of sound" style. What the x9000 does that the CRBN is not so good at is fine, layering between instruments and giving an airy delicacy to the overall sound. Here, the x9000 excels. Also, the overall sound of the CRBN is much more forward, especially the midrange, than I like. The first version of the CRBN I received was almost shouty in the mids, but the repaired version was better in this range. It's all a matter of your preferred style of music. Ultimately, the CRBNs didn't have the subtlety and finesse I was looking for for classical. I take them out of the case from time to time to see if I hear them differently, but no, they still remain not the right choice for my listening style. They sit mostly unused. The x9000s and the Shagri-La Sr I use daily.
I suppose I mostly agree with this.
I had a 3-way war going on for a while between the SRX9000, CRBN and my vintage Joseph Grado Hp-2i (hp-1000 improved).

The Hp-2i is easily the only one of the three that actually has 100% spot on timbre, and when you do an A/B between either e-stat you can see how they both lack something (srx9k in the lower end and mids, CRBN in the highs). Yet the Hp-2i is the least separated, smallest soundstage and least comfortable of the three.

The SRX9k is much better suited for classical, and about tied with the hp-2i for Jazz. It doesn't have the midrange to fully grasp solo work like the hp-2i does, but it does big band stuff with such incredible layer that it's a tier above. Hp-2i gets too mushed up in these spots and doesn't present the grandness needed for those. Rock, metal and other genres that have a lot of treble focused sound, also does very well on the SRX9k.

The Hp-2i wins anything acoustic or singer focused (like Opera or a soul singer like Adele). The tone of voices is perfect and if there aren't too many instruments, or if the tracks are very well recorded, this is easily the most real-life of the three.

The CRBN actually has a little bit less low-end than the hp-2i but the combination of e-stat strengths, smoothness and overall comfortable tone, makes them the best pick for EDM/Pop/Rap and many other modern albums. I find that they're relatively forgiving headphones and on the Mjolnir Carbon most stuff works well. Even in the genres that I found stronger in other headphones, as long as I was not a/b comparing, I still very much enjoyed them on the CRBN. The same could not be said about the SRX9k. Certain tracks on the SRX9k are too hot and unlistenable.

I think the only headphone I've found that was a better blend than these three was the Sr-Omega, which is closer to a hp-2i with the attributes of the SRX9k. I'm less certain Stax will ever return to this signature. I am a believer that Adueze's future estats will obtain the full-package with enough R&D.

For anyone that is on the fence about the CRBN - I do recommend, even with the farts :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back