Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,486 of 1,907
Heard back from Audeze support

"Hi ufospls2

I don't know of any specific changes within CRBN production, and there has not been a notable changes to those units since launch that we are aware of in the support team, but I do know the process has been streamlined and made more efficient with successive production runs, as is expected with any manufacturing process, so there is a chance a brand new unit will be less susceptible to the problems you've described.

Tim, Audeze Support"

So yeah, I'm not going to try getting my hands on another pair sadly. I suppose it's always possible there has been a change and either it hasn't trickled down to supports knowledge, but I'm guessing there hasn't been.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,487 of 1,907
Heard back from Audeze support

"Hi ufospls2

I don't know of any specific changes within CRBN production, and there has not been a notable changes to those units since launch that we are aware of in the support team, but I do know the process has been streamlined and made more efficient with successive production runs, as is expected with any manufacturing process, so there is a chance a brand new unit will be less susceptible to the problems you've described.

Tim, Audeze Support"

So yeah, I'm not going to try getting my hands on another pair sadly. I suppose it's always possible there has been a change and either it hasn't trickled down to supports knowledge, but I'm guessing there hasn't been.
They fixed my completely Stax fart ridden CRBNs and made them basically fart free unless I try. I had an early unit. Something was definitely changed given my new experience compared to my old one.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,488 of 1,907
They fixed my completely Stax fart ridden CRBNs and made them basically fart free unless I try. I had an early unit. Something was definitely changed given my new experience compared to my old one.
Interesting stuff man. The pair I had the problems with was a January 2022 model (apart from the first pair I had which was legitimately broken out the box - in the unusable sense.) Have you had any problems with the driver sticking to the stator? That was my main problem. It's just too much money for me to take a chance on again without confirmation from Audeze, but that seems to not be happening. Oh well : ) :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #1,489 of 1,907
My new unit maybe fixed some of the farting but they still did fart a lot. Clearly a design choice.
I like the headphone but it’s hard to shelter it when the srx9000 has the same amount of bass and zero issues

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,490 of 1,907
Interesting stuff man. The pair I had the problems with was a January 2022 model (apart from the first pair I had which was legitimately broken out the box - in the unusable sense.) Have you had any problems with the driver sticking to the stator? That was my main problem. It's just too much money for me to take a chance on again without confirmation from Audeze, but that seems to not be happening. Oh well : ) :)
Before the fix, yes the driver was sticking to the stator. It was annoying as sh!t and I was pretty disappointed. The farts and the sticking made me contact Audeze to get it fixed (which they did, albeit with a little hassle at the beginning)
My new unit maybe fixed some of the farting but they still did fart a lot. Clearly a design choice.
I like the headphone but it’s hard to shelter it when the srx9000 has the same amount of bass and zero issues
I’m gonna be honest, I don’t use my CRBNs that much now that I have had the Shangri-La Sr for a while now. There’s just no comparison. But, yeah the bass is better on the CRBNs, but I don’t listen to estats for bass (I have planars for that, that do bass much better). My Stax X9K is supposed to come in 2 weeks (I fukcing ordered it last November, which is ridiculous :deadhorse: ). I don’t know how much ear time the CRBNs will get after the X9K comes. The CRBNs may turn out to be a redundancy. We shall see

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,491 of 1,907
Before the fix, yes the driver was sticking to the stator. It was annoying as sh!t and I was pretty disappointed. The farts and the sticking made me contact Audeze to get it fixed (which they did, albeit with a little hassle at the beginning)

I’m gonna be honest, I don’t use my CRBNs that much now that I have had the Shangri-La Sr for a while now. There’s just no comparison. But, yeah the bass is better on the CRBNs, but I don’t listen to estats for bass (I have planars for that, that do bass much better). My Stax X9K is supposed to come in 2 weeks (I fukcing ordered it last November, which is ridiculous :deadhorse: ). I don’t know how much ear time the CRBNs will get after the X9K comes. The CRBNs may turn out to be a redundancy. We shall see

The area that the CRBN is preferable to the SRX9K is actually the midrange if you’re driving it on the right amp (aka carbon or T2). SRX9K has sort of recessed mids but it’s by design to allow you to up the volume and really fill in the soundstage. On certain tracks I’d rather hear the CRBN’s midcentric rendition.

I think the CRBN is actually the top pick estat for modern production music. New pop / rock / electronic music really works well. Older music has more of a 2D presentation, and classic stuff sometimes showcases how the timber is not 100%

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #1,492 of 1,907

Hmmm, thats interesting as thats the problem I was having. I thought it was just within normal working conditions for the CRBN and that I was just an outlier who wouldn't be able to use them. Maybe I should try another pair, not sure. Will think about it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,493 of 1,907
The area that the CRBN is preferable to the SRX9K is actually the midrange if you’re driving it on the right amp (aka carbon or T2). SRX9K has sort of recessed mids but it’s by design to allow you to up the volume and really fill in the soundstage. On certain tracks I’d rather hear the CRBN’s midcentric rendition.

I think the CRBN is actually the top pick estat for modern production music. New pop / rock / electronic music really works well. Older music has more of a 2D presentation, and classic stuff sometimes showcases how the timber is not 100%
I have the 3ES Elite. I wish somebody would compare that to the T2. The T2 interests me, but I wonder just how much better it is, if at all (as the 3ES is very powerful like the T2). If the T2 could provide more sub bass with my SGL, that would be nice. I don’t know if it would or to what degree though.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,494 of 1,907
I have the 3ES Elite. I wish somebody would compare that to the T2. The T2 interests me, but I wonder just how much better it is, if at all (as the 3ES is very powerful like the T2). If the T2 could provide more sub bass with my SGL, that would be nice. I don’t know if it would or to what degree though.

The T2 improves the bass of the SGL over most other amps (mainly impact and texture/detail), but it doesn't drastically improve its sub bass. But I also fully agree with your prior post in regards to there being no comparison between it and the CRBN whatsoever. No amplification is going to change that, and that's how it should be given the cost difference. This applies to the x9000 as well.

But I do also agree with others in that I prefer the CRBN's midrange presentation to the x9000, but that's true of just about all stats for me. The x9000 and Omega are just naturally distant and relaxed and just aren't my preferred presentation--although I enjoy the x9000 immensely despite that (as I would the Omega). The CRBN, just like most other stats, is more forward and engaging.

Where the CRBN does really shine is in its smoothness of tone (albeit at a tradeoff of other things). Not many headphones do that these days while still performing at a generally high level. But with TOTL stats and the SGL Sr., it just didn't get use on my end.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #1,495 of 1,907
Okay this maybe the wrong place to ask this question precisely because it is the CRBN's forum : I am wondering whether to take advantage of Audeze's ongoing "trade in, trade up" offer in order to exchange one of my older cans (+$2500) for the CRBN, when I have seen preowned ones go for as low as $3200 on the used market. I already have the LCD-5 but I am curious about e-stats because I have never owned or even heard one before, which makes me curious about the CRBN... The question is how to evaluate the Audeze offer in terms of the price/performance ratio of the CRBN from the perspective of someone in my position. Is the CRBN still as "hot" as it was upon its initial release in reputation on the e-stats market? How does it stack up against the newer Stax and Sr1a e-stat models for example?

At this point I have to say that I am not very keen on the trade up, because of the lower-priced pre-owned CRBNs I have seen on the used market, as well as the added headache involved in having to look for a matching energizer/amp for the CRBN, but I thought it would be worthwhile inquiring about the merits of the Audeze deal with those who have experienced the magic of the CRBNs.

The CRBN is definitely worth checking out imo. As an owner of the Sr1a, I would not attempt comparing it to it lol. But a different experience altogether and worth the listen. The only thing I would say is to strongly consider purchasing used, as the resale value has not been strong. I wouldn't buy it new personally, trade in or not.

I would also only go this route if you have interest in other e-stats, I don't think it's worth the purchase of an entire stat system.. however I think it's an awesome complement to a system with at least one more traditional e-stat (which can compete with the Sr1a). Hope this helps. :)

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #1,496 of 1,907
They changed something I got the info after I got the unit from April of this year. And this CRBN is not comparable to my last unit in regards to the farting. Don't know why they tell you nothing was changed.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #1,497 of 1,907
They changed something I got the info after I got the unit from April of this year. And this CRBN is not comparable to my last unit in regards to the farting. Don't know why they tell you nothing was changed.
@KMann any idea about this subject matter?

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,498 of 1,907
Welp, ended up buying another pair to try out. Will report back.

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,499 of 1,907
Welp, ended up buying another pair to try out. Will report back.

I'm glad your giving these another chance.

I have the CRBN, the SR009S and the LCD5 in the house right now. All 3 are amazing but if I could only keep one I think I'm leaning towards the CRBN. At this level the differences are small and it is a matter of taste.

I'm using Roon with Bob Katz's EQ preset and a Mjolnir Carbon amp + RME ADI 2 dac. I really can't find anything much wrong with the CRBN as a headphone.

It's very comfortable and not heavy. With Katz's EQ it is not shouty to my ears (we all have differently shaped ear canals so you may find it shouty I guess)

It is about as detailed as any headphone I've heard. Soundstage is adequate. I think soundstage descriptions often involve the imagination a lot so I won't say more :D

The bass has a thickness and impact that is superior to the SR009S and to my ears it trades blows with the LCD5.

Macrodynamics are excellent. Maybe the Utopia is better but the CRBN is lively enough.

A few tracks for you to try that sound great on the CRBN (imho)

Nine Inch Nails - Closer (the ferocity of the bass impact shocked me for an electrostat). There is no way this song can sound better on the Stax X9000 right? With those huge pads that may not seal as well as the CRBN pads....I'd love to find out.

Meaghan Smith - Here Comes Your man (pretty much sounds perfect, bass is as good as I remember from my LCD3 many years ago)

Paul Simon - Graceland - The song sounds dynamic and alive and every detail is present to my ears.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #1,500 of 1,907
OK, so the used pair of CRBN I bought to try them out again have arrived. This pair's little warranty card says they were made on April 11th 2022, or maybe that's just the day they left the factory - I'm not sure.

In terms of build quality and comfort they are still great, and just the same as my first pair - that is to say, top notch.

Anyhow, I'm just doing some listening sitting up right as its during the day whilst I'm getting some stuff done on my computer. This pair does indeed seem to be less touchy in terms of "stax fart" or the cracking noise. It definitely can still happen, but you seem to have to do something more major to make it happen. Rapidly breaking the seal etc...will still cause it to happen.

I've also only managed to get the driver to stick to the stator once, and I was actively testing it to see if it would happen. I will continue to monitor how these do over the next day or so with bass heavy music, and also how they do when I'm lying flat with my head against a pillow, as that may influence things - TBD on this part.

So far though, they definitely do seem to be less susceptible to the farting and sticking to the stator than the previous pair I had, which was a Dec 2021 manufacture date on the warranty card. With that being said, I do still think there was nothing wrong with that pair, and it was functioning as a CRBN should at that point in time.

I'm really not sure what to think or make of the whole situation. Perhaps through the "streamlined" production process mentioned by Audeze support, things have been changed for the better? Or perhaps there was an actual change and Audeze doesn't want to admit to it for obvious reasons, and will just fix the older pairs as they are sent in by owners? Regardless, I'll see if the problems start to pop up more over the next day or if things remain as they are (I hope this is what happens.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back