Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 12, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #1,471 of 1,907
When discussing the merits of the CRBN I always have to keep in mind the type of music listened to most often. To my ear, the timbre of string and other acoustic instruments is not quite right on the CRBNs. For electronically produced sounds I think it does quite well. I think they are good at a "wall of sound" style. What the x9000 does that the CRBN is not so good at is fine, layering between instruments and giving an airy delicacy to the overall sound. Here, the x9000 excels. Also, the overall sound of the CRBN is much more forward, especially the midrange, than I like. The first version of the CRBN I received was almost shouty in the mids, but the repaired version was better in this range. It's all a matter of your preferred style of music. Ultimately, the CRBNs didn't have the subtlety and finesse I was looking for for classical. I take them out of the case from time to time to see if I hear them differently, but no, they still remain not the right choice for my listening style. They sit mostly unused. The x9000s and the Shagri-La Sr I use daily.

Yea I agree here entirely. And the same differences exist with the 009, but not as wide of a gap as with the x9000. I think ultimately the timbre is a bit more realistic as well (texture/detail). I would say it gets to about 75% of the SGL/x9000 technicalities and maybe 85% of the 009. But we also have to keep the price differences in mind.

That said, the CRBN's tonality is really one of the smoothest overall I've heard (although it does smooth over *some* detail). I'd probably have 5 other headphones in that same category. It is a headphone you can put on without any fatigue whatsoever. And I really get the appeal in that, given that is pretty much the exact opposite of what stats are known for lol. I totally get how some or even many may prefer it to the 009 for that reason, the x9000 is a harder sell in comparison for me, as the capability gap is simply far too high between the two. But this kind of makes sense given the price difference.

But again, I have the same headphones you have and your experience is my exact experience, which is why I just sold my pair.

But I do think the CRBN is a great first entry for Audeze, and I would 100% concur with @Chefguru, I would not let the fart issue stop you from purchasing (so long as you can confirm they don't have the more extreme case of it). It simply was a non-issue for me after I adjusted after a week or two. And I do look forward to an Audeze follow up if they improve upon what they have with the CRBN.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #1,475 of 1,907
Had a quick listen yesterday at AV One in Singapore, thanks to Jeremy! I must admit i was pleasantly surprised. I will circle back on Monday and bring my own music this time around. :)

69DCB25A-5383-4F7B-B00C-9A2D65D8B4BD.jpeg

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,476 of 1,907
Update: I used a pressure gauge to again quantify the amount of clamping pressure of the cups on the artificial ears and noticed I was slightly off before. New measurements are below, note the smoother pinna gain and also the less precipitious drop in the treble region compared to before which is more in line with my hearing finally. Things are good to go on the review front again.

graph (4).png

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #1,477 of 1,907
Audeze now has EQ profile for the CRBN available in Roon. For those who have been waiting. I tried it last night, it is a small change but One I like. Vocals seemed a little more forward. Or upper bass adjusted? Have to do some back and forth to nail it down.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #1,478 of 1,907
Audeze now has EQ profile for the CRBN available in Roon. For those who have been waiting. I tried it last night, it is a small change but One I like. Vocals seemed a little more forward. Or upper bass adjusted? Have to do some back and forth to nail it down.
Can you please compare the dynamics or punchiness of the crbn vs the dca Stealth? Thanks!

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,479 of 1,907
The CRBN is faster so I would say more dynamic. Both have excellent bass responses. The Stealth, depending on pad placement, has more sub bass. If you want the punchiest headphones look at Abyss TC or LCD4. However, I am more than satisfied with the slam of the CRBN and Stealth. Both are good all rounders. If you like electrostatic sound then go with the CRBN. Stealth is more traditional planar sound.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,480 of 1,907
I got a completely new CRBN this week that has almost no fart problem. All models from March this year have the improvements built in. My last one was from December 2021 which had it a bit more pronounced. However, it never bothered me that much. However, I was interested in what was improved. The service from Audeze was once again phenomenal! Thursday sent in, Monday I had the new one at home. It does not get better than that!

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,481 of 1,907
I got a completely new CRBN this week that has almost no fart problem. All models from March this year have the improvements built in. My last one was from December 2021 which had it a bit more pronounced. However, it never bothered me that much. However, I was interested in what was improved. The service from Audeze was once again phenomenal! Thursday sent in, Monday I had the new one at home. It does not get better than that!
I've just emailed Audeze to get clarification on any design or modifications they have made to the CRBN since March 2022. I wanted to love the CRBN, they feel great and are built very well. If they have maybe implemented a small stopper to stop the diaphragm from sticking to the stators, then I'd consider buying another pair to try them again. Will report back with what they say.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #1,482 of 1,907
This was not the case for mine.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #1,483 of 1,907
Okay this maybe the wrong place to ask this question precisely because it is the CRBN's forum : I am wondering whether to take advantage of Audeze's ongoing "trade in, trade up" offer in order to exchange one of my older cans (+$2500) for the CRBN, when I have seen preowned ones go for as low as $3200 on the used market. I already have the LCD-5 but I am curious about e-stats because I have never owned or even heard one before, which makes me curious about the CRBN... The question is how to evaluate the Audeze offer in terms of the price/performance ratio of the CRBN from the perspective of someone in my position. Is the CRBN still as "hot" as it was upon its initial release in reputation on the e-stats market? How does it stack up against the newer Stax and Sr1a e-stat models for example?

At this point I have to say that I am not very keen on the trade up, because of the lower-priced pre-owned CRBNs I have seen on the used market, as well as the added headache involved in having to look for a matching energizer/amp for the CRBN, but I thought it would be worthwhile inquiring about the merits of the Audeze deal with those who have experienced the magic of the CRBNs.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,484 of 1,907
Okay this maybe the wrong place to ask this question precisely because it is the CRBN's forum : I am wondering whether to take advantage of Audeze's ongoing "trade in, trade up" offer in order to exchange one of my older cans (+$2500) for the CRBN, when I have seen preowned ones go for as low as $3200 on the used market. I already have the LCD-5 but I am curious about e-stats because I have never owned or even heard one before, which makes me curious about the CRBN... The question is how to evaluate the Audeze offer in terms of the price/performance ratio of the CRBN from the perspective of someone in my position. Is the CRBN still as "hot" as it was upon its initial release in reputation on the e-stats market? How does it stack up against the newer Stax and Sr1a e-stat models for example?

At this point I have to say that I am not very keen on the trade up, because of the lower-priced pre-owned CRBNs I have seen on the used market, as well as the added headache involved in having to look for a matching energizer/amp for the CRBN, but I thought it would be worthwhile inquiring about the merits of the Audeze deal with those who have had experienced the magic of the CRBNs.
I used to own the CRBN and think it's definitely worth a listen. No matter if via trade up or 2nd Hand.
Imo it's still as good as it was on it's release. Less bright with better Bass than the Stax offerings.

The separate amplification is a topic to keep in mind tho. I had to decide either CRBN or all the others and recable my Setup accordingly, that's also the reason I let them go again even if I can't fault their sound.

However 5 flagships is a lot therefore I took any reason to justify a sale... it's so hard to let go of great headphones again.

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,485 of 1,907

At this point I have to say that I am not very keen on the trade up, because of the lower-priced pre-owned CRBNs I have seen on the used market, as well as the added headache involved in having to look for a matching energizer/amp for the CRBN, but I thought it would be worthwhile inquiring about the merits of the Audeze deal with those who have had experienced the magic of the CRBNs.
The CRBN is a very good headphone but, doesn’t represent the estat sound well.
For me the issue was that the tonality was a bit too dark yet the 3hz range still peaky at times. It has good bass compared to the hifiman SGL jr or 009 but not the same impact of a good dynamic or planar. The soundstage is good but not 009 level .. etc
It’s a overall nice headphone that fails to really do anything in its own right perfectly. Coupled with the fart issues, over time it became hard to reach for.

I enjoyed the months I had with it and did prefer it to the 009s which was too bright for me. That said, I don’t miss it and think Audeze should consider a v2 now that a full year has passed.
The Stax srx9k is a significant step up in abilities but should be given the 50% higher price point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back