Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
May 29, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #1,366 of 1,894
Potato chip reference is just my opinion. I lived in Japan for many years. I wanted to like Stax, really did, but could not. I convinced myself to purchase a BHSE to purchase a Stax 009 to later find out I just did not care for the Stax sound. Now, I sit with a brand new pair of 009. When CRBN came out I found my sound. Now, I’m having second thoughts because of the farting and finding that nano technology may not be so healthy. I don’t want the perfect estat, but just a reliable.

I see you are missing a good classic 009 in your collection. Sell you mine for a screaming good price.
That’s a great story and all but when you explain how it’s your personal opinion the 009 sounds like potato chips crunching that really doesn’t help your cause

May 29, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #1,367 of 1,894
That’s a great story and all but when you explain how it’s your personal opinion the 009 sounds like potato chips crunching that really doesn’t help

May 29, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #1,368 of 1,894
Yes, this is my opinion, which I have a right to. This is a forum which provides a place to do so. I did not opinionate anothers or argue why my opinion is right or wrong. So, I ask out of respect you provide the same courtesy to keep your opinion of me out of the forum. Keep your opinions on the gear and not on the person's. Honestly, it's just common courtesy.

May 29, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #1,369 of 1,894
Yes, this is my opinion, which I have a right to. This is a forum which provides a place to do so. I did not opinionate anothers or argue why my opinion is right or wrong. So, I ask out of respect you provide the same courtesy to keep your opinion of me out of the forum. Keep your opinions on the gear and not on the person's. Honestly, it's just common courtesy.
Come on

Potato chips?

It’s an absurd opinion lol

I think that people who read through and see an opinion like that are being mislead. Purposefully or for whatever reason you have.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,370 of 1,894
Potato chip reference is just my opinion. I lived in Japan for many years. I wanted to like Stax, really did, but could not. I convinced myself to purchase a BHSE to purchase a Stax 009 to later find out I just did not care for the Stax sound. Now, I sit with a brand new pair of 009. When CRBN came out I found my sound. Now, I’m having second thoughts because of the farting and finding that nano technology may not be so healthy. I don’t want the perfect estat, but just a reliable.

I see you are missing a good classic 009 in your collection. Sell you mine for a screaming good price.

I agree with this regarding the 009 and the 009s. I had the 009s for about a year and no matter which amp I used (KGST, Carbon and BHSE) it never was enjoyable. However - on first listen, especially for people who came over to listen to my headphones, it was very good at "wowing". Overall it's just too thin sounding and the timber is too bright for me. Sound wise the CRBN is much more enjoyable and while it's not as accurate as my Hp-1000 for timber (but what is?), it does many other awesome things in terms of spaciousness and the Estat gambit (speed/detail/separation) that put it at the top of the heap.

While I do wish the farting could be lessened even more than it is currently, I'm not that worried about reliability. If anything the nano tech decreases the likelihood of driver imbalances and dust effecting the driver. I talked to Sankar (founder of Audeze) about this when I met him at CanJam, and he mentioned this is one of the few estats that doesn't need a dust jacket. There are a lot of small details that Audeze needs to get more praise for on their for estat. For one, the cabling is EXCELLENT. The fit is also the best I've had on any headphone.

A lot of people in this thread are comparing the SRX9000 to the CRBN, myself included, but in reality the SRX9000 is 40% more expensive.
The CRBN is a direct competitor with the SR-009S. The two compare very well, and for me the CRBN is the winner.
I have no doubt that Audeze's future estats will likely surpass the true summit-fi models like SR-omega, SRX-9000, He90, and Sr-007 mk1.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,371 of 1,894
For me, the biggest thing sound wise that prevents me from having the CRBN in the same category of the 009 or higher is that it simply doesn't have the detail/separation/imaging capabilities of it, the x9000 or SGL. In comparison, each of the latter three despite varying costs are in the same realm of stat technical performance (although clearly the x9000 and SGL are both more advanced than the 009).

Given that's essentially the bread and butter of stats, it's a big deal for me. However, the CRBN has a really good balanced sound, with solid performance. I think if smoothness of tonality is of top concern and/or you've tried stats before and haven't enjoyed the general tuning, then a CRBN is probably going to be better to you. But if technical performance relative to other TOTL stats or planars is a top priority, I think the 009 is a better fit by quite a bit.

In either case, I understand why people prefer one over the other.

May 29, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,374 of 1,894
Will be fun if someday the video of @Nomax will be posted of Axel Grell and his conclusion why no Stax has enough Bass. You guys bought the X9000 will cry.
I’ll be honest I’ve been lurking just getting everyone’s opinions for a while on multiple threads. After hearing everything it just seems like you’re bias almost like you work for audeze or something. You’re like a broken record going on and on saying the same thing over and over it’s just so strange to me man. It’s cool to have an opinion but it just seems like you’re trying to sell something to me not give me anything honest

May 29, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,375 of 1,894
I’ll be honest I’ve been lurking just getting everyone’s opinions for a while on multiple threads. After hearing everything it just seems like you’re bias almost like you work for audeze or something. You’re like a broken record going on and on saying the same thing over and over it’s just so strange to me man. It’s cool to have an opinion but it just seems like you’re trying to sell something to me not give me anything honest
lol. I can think of a few in almost every thread that sound like shills.

May 29, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,376 of 1,894
agree with this regarding the 009 and the 009s. I had the 009s for about a year and no matter which amp I used (KGST, Carbon and BHSE) it never was enjoyable. However - on first listen, especially for people who came over to listen to my headphones, it was very good at "wowing". Overall it's just too thin sounding and the timber is too bright for me. Sound wise the CRBN is much more enjoyable and while it's not as accurate as my Hp-1000 for timber (but what is?), it does many other awesome things in terms of spaciousness and the Estat gambit (speed/detail/separation) that put it at the top of the heap.
Concur, spent years giving Stax a try and every listen came with a wow to progress to fatigue. Stax became the coca cola for e-stats as the reference to compare to. Today, we have a plethora of e-stats to choose from. The e-stat sound is forming with every e-stat that hits the market. Since, I heard other e-stats I conclude in my opinion that Stax sounds thin and can often sound fatiguing in the high frequencies. I described this sound as "potato chips" crunching. It's descriptive in nature for those to understand my opinion. I stick to my opinion.

The CRBN works for the genre of music I listen to. I can listen for hours, but unfortunately due to the feedback "farting" I often limit my listening sessions. I feel I need to be delicate when moving to prevent feedback. It's really unfortunate.

So, in conclusion both the Stax and CRBN can be assigned to the "potato chip" analogy. One sounds like potato chips and the other makes sounds when eating potato chips 😉.

May 29, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #1,377 of 1,894
The CRBN works for the genre of music I listen to. I can listen for hours, but unfortunately due to the feedback "farting" I often limit my listening sessions. I feel I need to be delicate when moving to prevent feedback. It's really unfortunate.

If you're limiting sessions out of fear of damaging them you don't need to do so. If you're not experiencing some of the more drastic issues some others are, I wouldn't really think much about it. Not saying it's acceptable or anything, just trying to help given you already have and enjoy them. :)

May 30, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #1,378 of 1,894
If you're limiting sessions out of fear of damaging them you don't need to do so. If you're not experiencing some of the more drastic issues some others are, I wouldn't really think much about it. Not saying it's acceptable or anything, just trying to help given you already have and enjoy them. :)
No, limiting my sessions due to the annoying need to stay still to prevent feedback.

May 30, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,379 of 1,894
There is no “feedback farting” - where should that “feedback” happen…??

May 30, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #1,380 of 1,894

Users who are viewing this thread

Back