Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
May 30, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,381 of 1,903
No such thing as a “feedback farting”, there is “farting” but not caused by “feedback”.

Jeez, that “technical knowledge” here really is overwhelming…😁

May 30, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,382 of 1,903
I don't doubt that others are having "fart" issues with their CRBN ...

I'm 7 months and change in with my set, which I'm pretty sure are the 2nd "true retail set" in the US ... and I only get the "electrostatic farts" if I'm careless putting on, or taking off, the CRBN ... or deliberately try to induce it. They're no worse, for me, than my SR-007 MK2, SR-009S or SR-X9000. I can make them "fart", but I can do that with any electrostatic headphone.

But ... in any "normal" listening scenario, including drinking, and the odd snack, I get no "farts"; including when taking the (powered) headphones on or off.

I'm not a "headbanger", so that may change things for some.

I'm in Florida, so humidity is pretty high here (though it's about 43% in my house). And I seem to have a head size/shape, that corresponds well with whatever various headphone manufacturers use as a "standard". These may be salient factors.

Essentially, I don't find my set of the CRBN any more, nor less, sensitive to "electrostatic farts" than any other electrostatic headphone.

Just my $0.02 ...

That is how my CRBNs were when they were new. Now, they fart when I take them off, when I put them on, when I adjust them, when I take a drink or eat, when I shift my seat, etc. I emailed Audeze and they just said, unplug them before putting them on. The does help a lot, but it makes the headphones totally impractical. OTOH, I'm still use them almost nightly, but I'm worried they will continue to get worse.

Edit Dec 27th: Audeze replaced my CRBN and the issues are resolved.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,383 of 1,903
sadly sounds like a deal breaker to me,I am a long time audeze fan and had planned to possibly get one eventually but not now...I dont need the aggravation

May 30, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #1,384 of 1,903
sadly sounds like a deal breaker to me,I am a long time audeze fan and had planned to possibly get one eventually but not now...I dont need the aggravation
I'm gonna keep it real. Keep your money. The CRBNs are basically tuned like a planar and other planars do the planar sound better (because they are actually planars). If you only had estats, I'd say it's worth picking up because it is different than other estats. But, you come from a similar headphone background as me, and these probably won't do anything for you.

May 30, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,385 of 1,903
They do still present sound in that e-stat way. Not really sure how to describe it. The SR1A probably comes close. I think they are unique enough for me to keep. And I have not had anymore "fart" issues than my Voce has. The Shangr la JR is much less prone to it. But I enjoy estats, just not Stax. I think for so long Stax was the only real game in town that people equate estat sound with Stax. Like everything else personal taste will be the deciding factor.

May 30, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #1,386 of 1,903
I'm gonna keep it real. Keep your money. The CRBNs are basically tuned like a planar and other planars do the planar sound better (because they are actually planars). If you only had estats, I'd say it's worth picking up because it is different than other estats. But, you come from a similar headphone background as me, and these probably won't do anything for you.
I agree, I would not purchase an e-stat system for the CRBN. Since I own the BHSE already I needed to justify the purchase. The CRBN allows me to do this. The only option is to sell the whole package. Always an option I guess.

May 30, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,387 of 1,903
thanks, I respect your opinion even of we have different taste in music lol..owning and absolutely loving the sr1a I havent had much interest in stats

May 31, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #1,388 of 1,903
The CRBN is my only estat and I do think that it has a certain estat sound with it's qualities.

At least there is something airy ethereal none of my planars have in the same fashion.

Therefore I think it does sound like an estat, just not like Stax.
Just like not all planars sound like Hifiman.

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #1,391 of 1,903
CRBN is the best headphone I've ever heard. Period. I've put up mine for sale because I'm liquidating my entire system, otherwise that would be the only headphone I would keep.

I had mine for sale for financial reasons with the SRX9000 inbound, but the SRX9000 finally landed before the CRBN sold... and if it tells you anything, I just withdrew my CRBN for sale :-D
As of right now I have to agree with Spritzer and Brainslav... the CRBN is the keeper. Really wondering now if the only true summmit-fi move is T2 or Headamp DHT

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,392 of 1,903
I had mine for sale for financial reasons with the SRX9000 inbound, but the SRX9000 finally landed before the CRBN sold... and if it tells you anything, I just withdrew my CRBN for sale :-D
As of right now I have to agree with Spritzer and Brainslav... the CRBN is the keeper. Really wondering now if the only true summmit-fi move is T2 or Headamp DHT
Headamp DHT, didn't expect that project to finish.

Probably will reach the T2 and 3ES Elite pricings easily

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #1,394 of 1,903
On another site Justin said that the DHT would be easily over 10,000 but not in the 40k range.
So my guess is 15k
I read "multiples of everything we've ever done" so it's at least 14k.
Which is the ballpark of a T2 or 3ES Elite

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,395 of 1,903
On another site Justin said that the DHT would be easily over 10,000 but not in the 40k range.
So my guess is 15k

I'm glad Justin is working on bringing that amp to market again. I heard it back when I used to work with him, and I was quite surprised how much extra potential it brought out of the 009/S compared to the BHSE. I'm really excited to hear the CRBN on it some day.

Meanwhile, here's how I'm listening today. This is one clean, clear sounding amp!

_DSC2456.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back