Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 20, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #1,036 of 1,907
I think as pointed out, a lot of these products have standing issues, although less consistent in nature (by unit) depending on what they are. Sr1a clipping issues, TC drivers, LCD-5 cable removal problems, so on so forth. Only each individual user can decide whether or not a dealbreaker.

@BTD1 I had the exact same level of issues as you to begin with, but they are far less now. I don't touch the cups or cables connectors to the cups once on my head. And also watch head movement as well. It's been heavily reduced since. I would try doing so and if it doesn't improve, maybe it's a dealbreaker for you.
FYI. With a little practice - and a little pressure against the button side of the XLR, the LCD-5 cables pop right out.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #1,037 of 1,907
Thanks for the clarification. In my case the diaphragm must be sticking to the stator as you say because the L/R balance gets out of whack until I discharge with my finger. I had no idea that this can so easily happen. Greatly diminishes my satisfaction with these headphones.
Agree!!!

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,038 of 1,907
You really zeroed in on exactly what has happened to me since starting this hobby. It's, as you put it, looking for the "wow" factor or even the "never heard anything quite like this" factor. Early on, it was easier to for me achieve a feeling of wow since it was all new to me. But now, it is becoming much harder and much, much more expensive to satisfy this craving for headphones that will blow me away. As you point out, the CRBN doesn't supply the 'wow" factor for you and I don't think it does for me either, especially considering how much I like the Susvara. I am still using the CRBN daily. I like the size and depth of the pads and feels great on my head. I just wish it offered a more unique view into whatever music I'm listening to. The CRBN is good, but not "wow". Maybe the X9000?
Have you tried the Shagri-la Jrs?

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #1,039 of 1,907
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #1,040 of 1,907
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #1,041 of 1,907
Correction. Have not tried Shagri-la Jrs.

They are more transparent, a bit less bottom end (but not thin), and ZERO Farts, even if you try to make them Fart.

The seal on the Shangri-la is not as good as the CRBN, but much better the the VOCE. I like the sound of the Shanghai-la better than both the Voce and the CRBN, I don't own the 009’s and like everyone else, I’m waiting for the new STAX, so I can’t comment on the STAX.

I’m using both with a STAX 700t - from a DAVE / MScaler. The STAX has 2 outputs, so and A/B test is pretty easy and quick.

I have asked a number of friends to A/B/C all 3 headphones, and most rank CRBN 1 or 2, Shangri-la 1 or 2, and VOCE is always 3. Not to say the VOCE is a bad headphone, it’s just being compared with 2 slightly better headphones. I think if the VOCE had a better seal, it would probably sound as good as the Shanghai-la.

Headfonics Readers rate them as 9.3 (CRBN), 9.3 (Shanghai-la) and 9.2 (VOCE).

So question, does anyone make a good pair of replacement pads for the VOCE that create a tighter seal?

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,042 of 1,907
For me it depends on what type of music I am listening to. CRBN or jr is number 1. Vocé is a close third.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,043 of 1,907
I have tried Shagri-la Jrs. How do they differ from CRBN?
Just a shout out for the Shangri-la Jrs. I am listening to them right now out of Headamp Aristaeus. I have auditioned the CRBN. The CRBN has the Audeze flavour which is a warmer sound with a thicker bass. The Jr is reminiscient of the Hifiman sound and the Susvara which I had before which is airier and has a more treble emphasis. I find the Jr very coherent. I have the stax 009S and had the 009. The Stax sound s slightly more forward and thicker than the Jr. and has more of the traditional estat sound. I quite enjoy the Jr out of tube amps (Aristaeus and Megatron), and also enjoy the 009S but more out of the solid state Carbon CC. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3, but if you like the audeze sound in general, the CRBN will appeal as it is an estat with planar flavour, and similarly the Hifiman sound in the Jr.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,044 of 1,907
Yes, the CRBN does have a fuller thicker sound. Sometimes too bright in the upper mids and treble for me. Does the Jr. sound so similar to the Susvara that it wouldn't be with having both?

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,045 of 1,907
Yes, the CRBN does have a fuller thicker sound. Sometimes too bright in the upper mids and treble for me. Does the Jr. sound so similar to the Susvara that it wouldn't be with having both?
I own both the Sus and Shang Jr., and have no plans to sell either. They are voiced similarly in the sense that no equalization is required (IMO), but the Shang Jr. offers even more resolution while rolling off higher in the bass. The Shang Jr. isn't optimal for bassy EDM, but really shines on jazz and classical. The Sus has a somewhat earthier sound, while the Shang Jr. is squeaky clean. Both the CRBN and Stax 009S have a bit more bass presence than the Shang Jr., FWIW.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,046 of 1,907
If money is not a concern, having both has its benefits as they are not totally the same, but if you just want to have one of the family, then I would go with the jr if you are at all inclined to have estats. I am somewhat invested in estats myself.

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #1,047 of 1,907
I listened to a bunch of metal out of my CRBN’s today. I really like them. They’re fast and have enough bass. I haven’t heard the X9000 or SGL so I don’t know how/if they sound better, but the CRBNs are a winner in my book. I’m mainly a planar type of guy, so perhaps that’s why I like the supposed non traditional estat sound of the CRBNs. I can’t wait to compare them to the X9000, whenever it finally gets shipped to me

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #1,048 of 1,907
I think that is probably why I like the CRBNs as well. Coming from a planar background. The Voce and Shangra la jr are also less stat like to a lesser degree. While the 009 and 009s are impressive for speed and detail the don't do it for me. Sound artificial I guess. But at this level it is really just personal taste. The 009 and other Stax headphones are impressive if they fit your preference.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,049 of 1,907
I think that is probably why I like the CRBNs as well. Coming from a planar background. The Voce and Shangra la jr are also less stat like to a lesser degree. While the 009 and 009s are impressive for speed and detail the don't do it for me. Sound artificial I guess. But at this level it is really just personal taste. The 009 and other Stax headphones are impressive if they fit your preference.

As much as I love the 009, I totally get this perspective. I'm glad the CRBN was released as it is a good middle of the road for people that may not have been into stats otherwise.

Jan 25, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,050 of 1,907
A few possible points of interest for CRBN owners.

Steve Guttenberg of CNET and Sterophile has stated time and again that the best sound he's gotten from his Audeze headphones is from a Mal Valve Head Amp
Three headphone amplifier. After years of development Mal Valve has released the 4th iteration of the Head Amp Three as well as two new headphone amplifiers:
the new Mal Valve Head Amp One and their new top reference, the Mal Valve Head Amp Five...a headphone amplifier like no other. We are stocking units and
are proud to be handling the US and Canada on their behalf. Later this year, Mal Valve will also launch their electrostatic headphone, which is in its fifth prototype
over even more years. We have been so impressed with everything Mal Valve, that we will also be carrying their sources, amplification, loudspeakers and turntable. (everyone should hear magnetostatic bass and midrange coupled to an electrostatic tweeter.) Feel free to come look at our site for further information.

Regarding the Head Amps;

All three amplifiers drive drive Stax (with the Stax Pro Output) and other ESL headphones with independent outputs. They are also unique in their ability to adjust
the polarization voltage on the fly. This has been a great tool for squeezing out the best from all types of ESL cans. They also drive
dynamic cans, planars and in the case of the new Head Amp One and the Head Amp Five, the RAAL SR1A. The Mal Valve Three v4 is also a phenomenal
fully balanced preamplifier. The Head Amp One with the addition of optional outboard transformers is a fantastic stereo amplifier (each of the output transformers
weighs in excess of 45 pounds...no expense was spared in their design). The Five, is an integrated amplifier and a fully balanced preamplifier. The headphone driving
aspects of the Head Amp One and Five are an improvement on the Head Amp Three V.4 (they are a new OTL circuit) The Head Amp Five gives the user the option
of powering the headphones via the OTL circuit or via the onboard coupled transformers. The Head Amp Five has 2400v on the rails. One can drive even the
most stubborn electrostats with ease. The same is true of any dynamic or planar headphones. These amps will power even those headphones with the most insensitive
specs. Lastly each amplifier allows you to save the settings for your favorite cans. The One and Five can use any iteration of KT tubes, (KT66, KT88, KT90,, KT100, KT120,
KT150 and the new KT170 (which is the finest KT tube we've ever heard...the KT170 is like a great singled ended tube on steroids.)

I hope you can get a listen to these very special amplifiers. Below are pics of the Head Amp One (front and back) the Head Amp One's Head Driver, The Head Amp
Three V.4 and the Head Amp Five.
PowerAmp1vorne.jpg

Power Amp1-hinten.jpg

headDriverFront.jpg

Mal_Valve_head_amp_three_aufm_web.jpg

Mal Valve Head Amp 5.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back