Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,066 of 1,910
Your post about Birgir is interesting. But given how the audiophile mind works, I would predict that if I buy an "entry level" Mjolnir amp I will almost immediately want to upgrade to the top of the line just in case I am missing something! So, if I do it, I should go right to the top and skip the entry level. Interesting stuff to think about.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,067 of 1,910
Your post about Birgir is interesting. But given how the audiophile mind works, I would predict that if I buy an "entry level" Mjolnir amp I will almost immediately want to upgrade to the top of the line just in case I am missing something! So, if I do it, I should go right to the top and skip the entry level. Interesting stuff to think about.
He did in fact say the KGST and KGSSHV would be "baseline" and the Carbon and CC would be necessary to get the most out of the CRBN. I hope it is not rude to quote him, but that I would consider an expert opinion given his expertise.

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,068 of 1,910
I am new here and do not want to offend by cluttering up this CRBN thread with Raal love. I need to roll new tubes in and bias the amp this weekend. I'll see what happens. Just coming off of D8000 Pro and Stealth before these, both of which I liked but still preferred the Raal. Those two are thirsty for sure (especially the Stealth) but it seems the CRBN needs an entirely different level of amplifier than I have. It is fascinating and beautiful for so many things. I am finding I really like the CRBN for voices. But there is a strange (to me) cross feed thing going on where I am getting different parts of the same instrument spread around all over the place. Is this an e-stat thing or an amplifier thing? What I will say is the CRBN is really evocative (lack of better word) at modest volume. In fact, so far, I'm only disappointed if I turn it up. Must be the amp. I get plenty of volume, never even past 12 o'clock yet, but they seem to give immense detail at low db. These are really cool headphones......I love these gadgets.

I don't ever experience this in my setup at all. It must be the track or something going on with amplification. The CRBN is less spacious, with slightly less pin pointed imaging than the 009. It's noticeably condensed in comparison to it headstage/soundstage wise, and that may be what many are experiencing. As a matter of fact, all of Audeze recent flagships are this way to a degree and feels intentional for the purpose of bolstering midrange presence/intimacy (but I could totally be wrong). CRBN, LCD-R and LCD-5 are all more condensed in this way in comparison to similar stat/planar headphones.

That said, the imaging is pretty good, and again I don't notice any issues like this.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,070 of 1,910
I don't ever experience this in my setup at all. It must be the track or something going on with amplification. The CRBN is less spacious, with slightly less pin pointed imaging than the 009. It's noticeably condensed in comparison to it headstage/soundstage wise, and that may be what many are experiencing. As a matter of fact, all of Audeze recent flagships are this way to a degree and feels intentional for the purpose of bolstering midrange presence/intimacy (but I could totally be wrong). CRBN, LCD-R and LCD-5 are all more condensed in this way in comparison to similar stat/planar headphones.

That said, the imaging is pretty good, and again I don't notice any issues like this.
I only have the Raal to compare to and the CRBN is indeed more intimate over all. I have never heard a 007 or 009. It just places things very differently. Not a bad thing at all IMO, just distinct.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #1,071 of 1,910
Maybe Audeze should attach a warning that the CRBNs are only to be used on the most expensive, TOTL electrostatic amplifier available.
Unfortunately, this has always been the case with high-end e-stats. The sr009 is probably the only TOTL exception that stays true to its sound on most offerings.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #1,072 of 1,910
It begs a philosophical question. Is the placement of images arbitrary or a qualitative litmus for a headphone? When Beethoven wrote his late string quartets (monuments of Western civilization) was he hearing the voices left to right as if on a stage of a certain size from a certain distance? Or did the voices combine in his mind and swirl around in random ways more like Fantasia? So far for me the CRBN (in my chain) present music in a fantastical way, painting a huge space that to my ear may diverge from the source material in some respects. It's only when I hear different tones from a ghatam (or similar) appear distinctly in different channels that is is arresting. This is an instrument played in one person's lap, yet on the CRBN can appear 12 feet across! It is fun to listen to either way. Fascinating headphones.
Well, to be clear I don't want to overstate the effect. I think it's what someone said earlier, it's what I perceive to be the small soundstage of the CRBN relative to other estats I have. So things sound 'compressed'. What happens with certain tracks (not all or most) is that an instrument that is clearly on one side with other headphones I have seems bled a little into the other channel as well with the CRBN.

But it sounds like you're having the opposite experience- sense of huge sound stage. So I don't know, maybe it's all subjective. I still would caution anyone who is contemplating the CRBN to try an another estat in the same price range if you are not familiar with them. The other thing I've thought about is Audeze is new to electrostatic headphone production, it's possible that they don't have perfect consistency between each CRBN yet. Mine was manufactured in early November FWIW. (As an example, my VOCE which is also a newer brand of estat stopped working for some odd reason and it's with Dan Clark Audio for repair.)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,073 of 1,910
"What happens with certain tracks (not all or most) is that an instrument that is clearly on one side with other headphones I have seems bled a little into the other channel as well with the CRBN."

This, exactly. No doubt I am using poor language to describe something, and I have no experience with e-stats. I called it a crossfeed issue originally and that may not be the proper use of that term. But it is exactly as you describe, where something positioned in one place has, sometimes, what I would call illogical signal in the other channel that can gap in the middle. I am going to try using Roon's crossfeed adjustment the next time I run into it and see if that changes it.

All of that said, even with the 007tii, the CRBN is growing on me. Vocals are sublime. But, the overall signature is veiled, warm, and soft compared to the Raal. I have to decide though if I sell them or double down and get an amp. I'm in discussion with Birgir now so we'll see.

This also begs the question would I be happier with a STAX 007 or 009?

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,074 of 1,910
I found the 009s the opposite of the CRBN. The 009s has a big soundstage and is very fast. But doesn’t have the body or bass impact of the CRBN. Very different signatures. Haven’t heard the 007.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #1,075 of 1,910
Well, to be clear I don't want to overstate the effect. I think it's what someone said earlier, it's what I perceive to be the small soundstage of the CRBN relative to other estats I have. So things sound 'compressed'. What happens with certain tracks (not all or most) is that an instrument that is clearly on one side with other headphones I have seems bled a little into the other channel as well with the CRBN.

But it sounds like you're having the opposite experience- sense of huge sound stage. So I don't know, maybe it's all subjective. I still would caution anyone who is contemplating the CRBN to try an another estat in the same price range if you are not familiar with them. The other thing I've thought about is Audeze is new to electrostatic headphone production, it's possible that they don't have perfect consistency between each CRBN yet. Mine was manufactured in early November FWIW. (As an example, my VOCE which is also a newer brand of estat stopped working for some odd reason and it's with Dan Clark Audio for repair.)

"What happens with certain tracks (not all or most) is that an instrument that is clearly on one side with other headphones I have seems bled a little into the other channel as well with the CRBN."

This, exactly. No doubt I am using poor language to describe something, and I have no experience with e-stats. I called it a crossfeed issue originally and that may not be the proper use of that term. But it is exactly as you describe, where something positioned in one place has, sometimes, what I would call illogical signal in the other channel that can gap in the middle. I am going to try using Roon's crossfeed adjustment the next time I run into it and see if that changes it.

All of that said, even with the 007tii, the CRBN is growing on me. Vocals are sublime. But, the overall signature is veiled, warm, and soft compared to the Raal. I have to decide though if I sell them or double down and get an amp. I'm in discussion with Birgir now so we'll see.

This also begs the question would I be happier with a STAX 007 or 009?

I haven't experienced this. I'll look for it again, but I do know that the track, our chains, etc. could all impact.. but I've not heard a single instrument placed in two different positions. But again, will look for it again.

Also, for me I don't have the CRBN on the same level of technical ability that I do the 009, Sr1a, TC and Susvara. I have it just a step below. And certainly in comparison to the SGL there is just a huge gap between them. But I do think for a first offering, the CRBN is very good. I think what Audeze attempted to address, was the brightness and leanness of bass that typically turns some people away from stats. If you're in that camp, the CRBN is an excellent option for you. If you haven't tried e-stats at all and are interested in learning what they are about, I would certainly start with the 009 instead.

For me personally, even with the 009 and SGL, which I definitely prefer due to the improved technicalities, the CRBN is still getting decent time because of how smooth it is, while still doing say 85% of what the 009 can do. But definitely if you're coming from the 009 or similar, it may disappoint in some regards.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,076 of 1,910
I haven't experienced this. I'll look for it again, but I do know that the track, our chains, etc. could all impact.. but I've not heard a single instrument placed in two different positions. But again, will look for it again.

Also, for me I don't have the CRBN on the same level of technical ability that I do the 009, Sr1a, TC and Susvara. I have it just a step below. And certainly in comparison to the SGL there is just a huge gap between them. But I do think for a first offering, the CRBN is very good. I think what Audeze attempted to address, was the brightness and leanness of bass that typically turns some people away from stats. If you're in that camp, the CRBN is an excellent option for you. If you haven't tried e-stats at all and are interested in learning what they are about, I would certainly start with the 009 instead.

For me personally, even with the 009 and SGL, which I definitely prefer due to the improved technicalities, the CRBN is still getting decent time because of how smooth it is, while still doing say 85% of what the 009 can do. But definitely if you're coming from the 009 or similar, it may disappoint in some regards.
Thank you for the wisdoms. Much appreciated. I am warming up a new set of tubes now and if after adjusting bias I run into the same "issue" I will share the track.

I am just astonished how much volume and history of discussion there is here for e-stats. I am trying to work my way through as much as I can to arrive at sentiments about the current STAX line up.

I will not elaborate the point here in a CRBN thread, but wondering if I leapt too quickly to CRBN and should have tried STAX first.

Thank you again for the information.

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,077 of 1,910
Tubes changed and biased. Big improvement, the CRBN are now clearer, no longer veiled, crystal clear. Bass is not much improved, if at all, but the higher frequencies are more to my taste at least.

For anyone interested I changed out very new looking Russian tubes for Japanese tubes labelled Lindal. Paid $70 for 5 tubes, did not research prices but this seller had 100% positive feedback.

As happy as I am with the improvement I ordered an amp from Birgir today.

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,078 of 1,910
If I may ask, which amp are you ordering from him and how long is the estimate from order to delivery, given COVID shipping issues.

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,079 of 1,910
If I may ask, which amp are you ordering from him and how long is the estimate from order to delivery, given COVID shipping issues.
I ordered a KGSSHV, this after some helpful conversation about what I prioritize and knowing it is the CRBN I am driving.

I do not have a ship date yet but he has it in stock now so hopefully not too long. Should know more tomorrow.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #1,080 of 1,910
I ordered a KGSSHV, this after some helpful conversation about what I prioritize and knowing it is the CRBN I am driving.

I do not have a ship date yet but he has it in stock now so hopefully not too long. Should know more tomorrow.
What did you get? There are Carbon, SANYO, IXY variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back