Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #1,021 of 1,907
My CRBNs farted more when I first had them. It’s a lot less now. I guess, like somebody above mentioned, perhaps we have trained our bodies, or there’s a break in period? :thinking:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #1,022 of 1,907
Hissing and spitting? Are they so wonderful that you're willing to endure these sorts of problems? I never heard of a planar hissing and spitting!
I'm guessing it's simply a defective unit. But yes, they are pretty wonderful to my ears. I'm presuming HFM will be able to fix the issue, but if not, I will have to decide whether I want to live with it. As stated, it's intermittent (more absent than present), and not loud enough to be heard while music is playing.

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,023 of 1,907
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #1,024 of 1,907
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #1,025 of 1,907
Yea, instead you must worry about the Audeze drivers in the LCD-1,2,3,4,5 failing at an amazing rate. Or you worry about the 1266 driver sleeping because it's tired. LOL

Or you could buy an HD800.
difference is the problems you describe with drivers are not expected to be lived with...if they are repaired even if we shouldnt need the repairs in the first place the problem no longer exists...in the case of the estat issues being discussed they seem to be endemic or at least seems to be...for the record I am not an estat guy

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,026 of 1,907
difference is the problems you describe with drivers are not expected to be lived with...if they are repaired even if we shouldnt need the repairs in the first place the problem no longer exists...in the case of the estat issues being discussed they seem to be endemic or at least seems to be...for the record I am not an estat guy
We all know the stat zealots need to keep their mouths shut and sit still!

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,027 of 1,907
I think as pointed out, a lot of these products have standing issues, although less consistent in nature (by unit) depending on what they are. Sr1a clipping issues, TC drivers, LCD-5 cable removal problems, so on so forth. Only each individual user can decide whether or not a dealbreaker.

@BTD1 I had the exact same level of issues as you to begin with, but they are far less now. I don't touch the cups or cables connectors to the cups once on my head. And also watch head movement as well. It's been heavily reduced since. I would try doing so and if it doesn't improve, maybe it's a dealbreaker for you.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,028 of 1,907
Jan 19, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #1,029 of 1,907
This is a little duplicative of what I wrote in the Shangrila thread, but I thought I'd put it here if people are looking for opinions on the CRBN.

I am a little disappointed with the CRBN. Not sure was I expecting with the carbon nanotubes, etc., but I was hoping for something very different that anything around. It's not that it's bad, it's really, really good. But unless you've invested a lot in estats and have the proper amps already, I don't know why you'd pick it up over a non-Estat headphone like the Susvara, since it doesn't have the Estat sound. It can sound absolutely amazing at times- does vocals really well- but it's not consistent enough for me and sometimes I find it a bit metallic sounding and harsh in the higher registers, particularly high percussion (high hats, etc).

I actually prefer the VOCE to the CRBN. It's more musical and smooth to me (I know these are not objective words). Something to consider if you are intrigued by the CRBN, and want a non-traditional estat, might want to try both if you can.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #1,030 of 1,907
The CRBN is definitely not traditional e-stat sound. The Voce even strays from that a bit. Of course I equate traditional sound with Stax. Even the Shangra La jr is less Stax sounding. While I like the way e-stats present sound and their speed, I don't care for Stax house sound. That is why I decided on the CRBN, Voce, and JR. I also come from a background of planar headphones. Maybe that explains my preference. But I still think the above mentioned headphones do something special that planer headphones don't. Of course I still have an LCD-4, Stealth, Edition X so I do still have a soft spot for them.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #1,031 of 1,907
The CRBN is definitely not traditional e-stat sound. The Voce even strays from that a bit. Of course I equate traditional sound with Stax. Even the Shangra La jr is less Stax sounding. While I like the way e-stats present sound and their speed, I don't care for Stax house sound. That is why I decided on the CRBN, Voce, and JR. I also come from a background of planar headphones. Maybe that explains my preference. But I still think the above mentioned headphones do something special that planer headphones don't. Of course I still have an LCD-4, Stealth, Edition X so I do still have a soft spot for them.
No more TCs? :astonished:

Also, with your new profile pic, I didn’t even realize it was you…lol

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,032 of 1,907
Yeah, fair enough. Was just sharing my opinion; tastes vary of course. I think for all of us who are audiophile addicts (I'm definitely in that category), we are chasing more and more subtleties. For me, I look for 2 things with TOTL headphones. One is the "wow" factor, like wow, I have never heard anything quite like this. That's rare. The second is less dramatic, more like surprise: like this is interesting, I didn't realize I was missing this angle or intepretation of the music I listen to and I quite like it. For me the CRBN lacked both, and I think I was expecting at least the second. The Shangrila amp has a lot of tubes as well so maybe that doesn't help the CRBN in these comparisons.

However, I did try another side by side with the Utopia and I want to say it's a better version of the Utopia sound (which I know is not a planar either). Like the Utopia, it is very quick and has a smaller, more immersive soundstage, but with a better, more natural tone.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,033 of 1,907
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,034 of 1,907
No more TCs? :astonished:

Also, with your new profile pic, I didn’t even realize it was you…lol
Yes no more TC. That’s why I changed profile pic. Just decided to try some different flavors of headphones.

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,035 of 1,907
Yeah, fair enough. Was just sharing my opinion; tastes vary of course. I think for all of us who are audiophile addicts (I'm definitely in that category), we are chasing more and more subtleties. For me, I look for 2 things with TOTL headphones. One is the "wow" factor, like wow, I have never heard anything quite like this. That's rare. The second is less dramatic, more like surprise: like this is interesting, I didn't realize I was missing this angle or intepretation of the music I listen to and I quite like it. For me the CRBN lacked both, and I think I was expecting at least the second. The Shangrila amp has a lot of tubes as well so maybe that doesn't help the CRBN in these comparisons.

However, I did try another side by side with the Utopia and I want to say it's a better version of the Utopia sound (which I know is not a planar either). Like the Utopia, it is very quick and has a smaller, more immersive soundstage, but with a better, more natural tone.
You really zeroed in on exactly what has happened to me since starting this hobby. It's, as you put it, looking for the "wow" factor or even the "never heard anything quite like this" factor. Early on, it was easier to for me achieve a feeling of wow since it was all new to me. But now, it is becoming much harder and much, much more expensive to satisfy this craving for headphones that will blow me away. As you point out, the CRBN doesn't supply the 'wow" factor for you and I don't think it does for me either, especially considering how much I like the Susvara. I am still using the CRBN daily. I like the size and depth of the pads and feels great on my head. I just wish it offered a more unique view into whatever music I'm listening to. The CRBN is good, but not "wow". Maybe the X9000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back