Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #931 of 1,894
The WES mentioned in this thread sold for $2,042 on eBay. Wow that's quite a lot considering it's a first gen.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #932 of 1,894
I’m really liking the crbn. However, the advertising for it says it’s 300g but when I measured it was about 460g (with pads of course and without cable). Has anyone else weighed it and found it is a lot heavier than they were lead to believe?
Not sure, just know they were hella comfortable. Good enough for me.

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #933 of 1,894
I seem to be triggering a the "Stax fart" fairly often wearing the CRBNs. If I start to get comfortable and lay my head back and one of the cups touches the chair, it will trigger the dreaded crinkling sound. Is this in any way damaging to the headphone when this happens?

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #934 of 1,894
I seem to be triggering a the "Stax fart" fairly often wearing the CRBNs. If I start to get comfortable and lay my head back and one of the cups touches the chair, it will trigger the dreaded crinkling sound. Is this in any way damaging to the headphone when this happens?
It's a little bit annoying but not damaging to the diaphragm. Even if the diaphragm is stuck to the stator, it is not dangerous to the diaphragm and it’s enough to take out the cable and short the pins on connector to discharge diaphragm and release it from the stator. We are not releasing to sale any diaphragm that stays stuck to the stator.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #935 of 1,894
Same. I hear like some static-ish “fart” sounds and it had me concerned too. I guess it’s fine and just a consequence of the design (per post above). As long as it’s not damaging, I can live with the “farts”

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #936 of 1,894
Are any CRBN owners taking special measures to protect their headphones from dust? I leave mine on a stand or hook and don't put them in a drawer or back in their case. Being new to estats, I'm wondering just how much of an issue dust contamination is? Surprisingly, I'm am listening to these a lot these days and putting them away or covering them up after each use would be somewhat of a pain.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #937 of 1,894
Are any CRBN owners taking special measures to protect their headphones from dust? I leave mine on a stand or hook and don't put them in a drawer or back in their case. Being new to estats, I'm wondering just how much of an issue dust contamination is? Surprisingly, I'm am listening to these a lot these days and putting them away or covering them up after each use would be somewhat of a pain.
I researched the issue. Apparently way back in the day manufacturers didn't put dust covers on their drivers. Apparently the issue has been resolved. I assume Audeze put dust covers on the CRBN drivers, but I will let them chime in to verify.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #938 of 1,894
To quote @KMann

"Unlike resistive coating typically used in electrostatic headphones, the carbon nanotube infused diaphragm is immune to the elements and does not degrade over time."

"With respect to 'immune to the elements' I guess, my prior answer could use some more explanation. Typical electrostatic headphones have diaphragms that are coated with a thin metallic resistive layer, and this layer can over time degrade. Carbon Nanotubes on the other hand are uniformly dispersed within the thin film diaphragm, so they are not subject to conditions such as humidity the same way a metal deposit could be."

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #939 of 1,894
I researched the issue. Apparently way back in the day manufacturers didn't put dust covers on their drivers. Apparently the issue has been resolved. I assume Audeze put dust covers on the CRBN drivers, but I will let them chime in to verify.
If you take a look inside earpads you will notice that driver is covered with dark grey, almost black, nonwoven cellulose cloth. This cloth is acoustically transparent and protects both sides of the driver from dust. Be careful not to damage it because then the dust will find its way in.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #940 of 1,894
If you take a look inside earpads you will notice that driver is covered with dark grey, almost black, nonwoven cellulose cloth. This cloth is acoustically transparent and protects both sides of the driver from dust. Be careful not to damage it because then the dust will find its way in.
Thank you for the clarification regarding dust :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #941 of 1,894
I've been comparing the SR1as out of the HSA-1b (with the 3ES Elite as a preamp) to the CRBNs out of a 3ES Elite. The CRBNs are punchier with perhaps better dynamics. They CRBNs have a more ethereal sound, which some may prefer (they just present sound differently than the SR1a and "normal" headphones). The SR1as have a wider soundstage with what seems to be slightly higher resolution. Both are very real sounding, but the SR1as have a bit better imaging. The CRBNs are slightly blurry in comparison. They are both pretty amazing. More time is needed to determine which one is ultimately the best, but I will say the SR1as have a slight lead at the moment

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #942 of 1,894
for me the sr1a is my favorite HP and that includes the TC and susvara..it is simply so unique...such spaciousness and pinpoint imaging and the detail is simply off the charts.....yes I know it lacks that sub bass but to be honest for me given the space the bass really stands out and is extremely accurate and since I do not listen to rap or EDM or death metal I do not really miss it....I am curious about electrostatics but the sr1a has kept me from bothering up to this point

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #943 of 1,894
I just blasted through 3 Rolling Stones albums (which are remastered very, very well). Honestly, I couldn't find any flaws with the CRBNs. Classic rock is something I play ever so often, but if it was my main genre, the CRBNs would be perfect. I'm not saying other headphones are inferior with classic rock, I'm just saying as a sole listening session with some Stones albums, the CRBNs were very, very good

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #944 of 1,894
which stones albums are remastered very well?..I have them all and dont know of any remastered particularly well

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #945 of 1,894
which stones albums are remastered very well?..I have them all and dont know of any remastered particularly well
I listened to Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, and Exile on Main Street. The SACD versions are good, but the vocals aren’t great. The remasters from a couple of years ago are better, even though they are only in like 24/44.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back