Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #961 of 1,903
Got my new pair of CRBNs last night and spent about two hours with them. Chain is lossless flac<M1 Mac mini<Yggy OG<BHSE<CRBN. Listened to Pink Floyd, The Who, and some Aerosmith. Way too early for final assesment, but I really like what I am hearing. Fast, detailed, and smooth, not an easy combination to pull off. I think this is the best I have heard those albums sound. I am sensitive to bright treble but the CRBN seems to have good extension and detail in the treble region without crossing over into harshness or sibilance. Very natural and musical presentation.
I feel like they are a good compliment to the 1266TC and LCD4. Very different presention than the Voce, more detailed and seem faster. The 009s and Shangra la jr may also be contrasting headphones from what I have heard with more emphasis on the high end. Have to get those in for comparison. Should have a demo pair of LCD5 coming in next week. Curious to see how close they are to the CRBN.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #962 of 1,903
Asking for some guidance. As more time has elapsed, I am liking the CRBNs more and more. However, I keep reading about the STAX sr-x9000 and the Shangri-La Jr. and I can’t help but wonder if I am missing something. I am surprised that the sound of the CRBNs isn’t that different from a TOTL planar. This being my first estat I keep wondering if there is something else out the that is jaw dropping with such a WOW factor that I need to have it. Since auditioning these headphones in person is impossible these days I am relying on reading user impressions on these forums. So, my question is if having the Susvara, which is great, the CRBN, which I am really starting to appreciate, and several others, is there and estat out there that is so unique that it is a must have? It may be my need to acquire new stuff, but I’m hoping that some of you out there with years of history with all these phones can offer a perspective. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #963 of 1,903
Asking for some guidance. As more time has elapsed, I am liking the CRBNs more and more. However, I keep reading about the STAX sr-x9000 and the Shangri-La Jr. and I can’t help but wonder if I am missing something. I am surprised that the sound of the CRBNs isn’t that different from a TOTL planar. This being my first estat I keep wondering if there is something else out the that is jaw dropping with such a WOW factor that I need to have it. Since auditioning these headphones in person is impossible these days I am relying on reading user impressions on these forums. So, my question is if having the Susvara, which is great, the CRBN, which I am really starting to appreciate, and several others, is there and estat out there that is so unique that it is a must have? It may be my need to acquire new stuff, but I’m hoping that some of you out there with years of history with all these phones can offer a perspective. Thanks!

The Sr009s is a very different sound and better represents what people mean by "estat". The soundstage has more air between instruments along with a lighter more ethereal impact (less dynamic). The contrast was very apparent to me in my short listening of the CRBN at CanJam, along with my ownership of the 009s. What I could not tell, is if over time the CRBN would be more musical, since it fills in the low-end gap of the 009s. Most people I let listen to my setup are blown away by the 009s on their first listen. For me, I've find it to be technically amazing but fatiguing, even on the desirable KGST pairing. I would say given the sudden re-sell of 009s to fund srx9k, this is a good time to try a used pair for 3-3.5k or even the 009 for 2-2.5k.

I have heard the SGL Jr a few times and do not think it's in the 009/CRBN realm personally. The Senior model may be a different story.

The 007 is more similar to the CRBN but is not worth the time unless you can invest in a carbon/BHSE/T2. The level of power it needs is really surprisingly.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #964 of 1,903
sr1a...not an estat but....

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #965 of 1,903
I recently did a shootout between 009S, CRBN, and Shangri-la Junior. Search thread titles for "pilgrimage" if you're interested. The CRBN lacked treble presence and energy compared to the other two, but had the strongest bass oomph, with the 009S not far behind. I also thought the CRBN came in last of the three in timbral accuracy, with the Shang Jr. on top. That criterion is right near the top of my personal list for judging headphones, but everyone has their own priorities. The CRBN isn't for me personally (although it's a very competent headphone), but I'm very keen to hear the Stax X9000 whenever I get the chance based on how much I enjoyed the 009S.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #966 of 1,903
The Sr009s is a very different sound and better represents what people mean by "estat". The soundstage has more air between instruments along with a lighter more ethereal impact (less dynamic). The contrast was very apparent to me in my short listening of the CRBN at CanJam, along with my ownership of the 009s. What I could not tell, is if over time the CRBN would be more musical, since it fills in the low-end gap of the 009s. Most people I let listen to my setup are blown away by the 009s on their first listen. For me, I've find it to be technically amazing but fatiguing, even on the desirable KGST pairing. I would say given the sudden re-sell of 009s to fund srx9k, this is a good time to try a used pair for 3-3.5k or even the 009 for 2-2.5k.

I have heard the SGL Jr a few times and do not think it's in the 009/CRBN realm personally. The Senior model may be a different story.

The 007 is more similar to the CRBN but is not worth the time unless you can invest in a carbon/BHSE/T2. The level of power it needs is really surprisingly.

This is spot on regarding the 009/CRBN. 009(s) may be a good starting point as it's a technically proficient example of the typical estat, and it's much more forgiving amp wise--although with the wrong amp it can be very fatiguing. If you like it, there's a great chance that you'd like the more expensive SGL or x9000 (more than likely, haven't gotten my pair yet). So I think I'd start there.

I can say that the CRBN does still feel 'musical' over time. I've had them for a bit now and they still are a welcome difference and complement to my other stats, although they get a bit less time.

Of course there are even higher premium stats, but that's a big plunge to take for someone that hasn't heard a traditional stat sound. Plus, you will want better amplification, that I can promise.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #967 of 1,903
This album is great, very complex, beautiful and shows off the capabilities of the CRBN well (while also testing its limits):

D4ByisT.png

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #968 of 1,903
I received my CRBN on Friday afternoon. I had a busy weekend and have not yet had time to do a ton of listening or any comparisons. I can already say that it is one of the best headphones I've ever heard. Best bass of any electrostatic that I've heard, with the possible exception of the HE-1. It has that electrostatic ethereal quality, but only when the music calls for it. Solo piano shows that off really well. Notes seem to just hang in the air against the blackest of backgrounds and sustain seems to last forever. Attack and decay are essentially perfect. It does not have the sparkle (or the brightness) of the SR-009, but the highest piano notes sound tonally correct. It is not rolled off. Soundstage seems pretty good. I want to do a side by side comparison with my SR-009 before saying too much more.

It takes EQ extremely well, if you want more bass. With Roon, I've been experimenting with different Low Shelf filters with good results. With the Realiser A-16, it is just amazing. I created an HPEQ filter for it and have huge bass, when the content calls for it. The speaker virtualization works even better than with my SR-009.

Lastly, fit is excellent for me. It is light weight and the headband give me no hot spots. The clamping force is much higher than the SR-009, but less than my LCD-5 which has the newer lower force headband. The ear pads are comfortable and provide a perfect seal even with glasses. As a result, your ears can get warm. The so-called STAX Fart, which of course only sounds vaguely like a fart, is very present. I hear it every time I take the headphone on or off, but it is not an issue for listening.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #971 of 1,903
Let me add the playback chain, since I think amplification is particularly important with estats: Roon/Realiser A-16 -> Benchmark DAC-3B -> Benchmark HPA-4 -> BHSE. I keep the BHSE at max volume and use the HPA-4 to make adjustments.
Why do you use HPA-4? the extra amplification should not be needed, and why not use BHSE to control the volume? It may even sound more transparent with fewer components in the chain

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #972 of 1,903
Why do you use HPA-4? the extra amplification should not be needed, and why not use BHSE to control the volume? It may even sound more transparent with fewer components in the chain

I have the HPA-4 as a pre-amp for my speakers and as a headphone amp for my other headphones. With the BHSE, it provides me a remote control for the volume. I'm told that estat amps, or the BHSE anyway, don't have distortion at max volume the way standard amps do.The HPA-4 has an extremely good volume control and is as transparent as any pre-amp out there.

Edit: Also, the HPA-4 is not providing "extra amplification" as I'm running it typically at -20dB or so.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #974 of 1,903
I have the HPA-4 as a pre-amp for my speakers and as a headphone amp for my other headphones. With the BHSE, it provides me a remote control for the volume. I'm told that estat amps, or the BHSE anyway, don't have distortion at max volume the way standard amps do.The HPA-4 has an extremely good volume control and is as transparent as any pre-amp out there.

Edit: Also, the HPA-4 is not providing "extra amplification" as I'm running it typically at -20dB or so.
You may not be amplifying but you are definitely adding active circuitry which is better to avoid unless there is a necessity, and you are also attenuating the signal and then forcing BHSE to amplify. From a signal/noise perfective this may not be optimal. BHSE being a tube amp, you may not want to drive it at the max volume either (but I confess my knowledge of electrostatic amp is limited). I prefer to drive my amp where it is more likely to be linear.

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #975 of 1,903
You may not be amplifying but you are definitely adding active circuitry which is better to avoid unless there is a necessity, and you are also attenuating the signal and then forcing BHSE to amplify. From a signal/noise perfective this may not be optimal. BHSE being a tube amp, you may not want to drive it at the max volume either (but I confess my knowledge of electrostatic amp is limited). I prefer to drive my amp where it is more likely to be linear.

With all due respect, you should do more research on the BHSE before giving advice. Both the maker and several experts have advised me that having it on max volume has no detrimental effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back