Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #916 of 1,903
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as judging the amp, I quoted and interpreted. How would you rate the WES compares to other diy amps like the kgsshv , kgsshv carbon etc?

I doubt I'll buy another amp, I have a kgsshv, 2 kgsshv carbons and a T2 . Just got my crbn yesterday, waiting for them to acclimatize.
You need an Omega and you need to pair it with a Megatron still. :wink:

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #917 of 1,903
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as judging the amp, I quoted and interpreted. How would you rate the WES compares to other diy amps like the kgsshv , kgsshv carbon etc?

I doubt I'll buy another amp, I have a kgsshv, 2 kgsshv carbons and a T2 . Just got my crbn yesterday, waiting for them to acclimatize.

No need for apologies at all. And if I were buying a new stat amp right now in the $3-$5k range the WES wouldn't be high on my list. I just believe it's a good budget option if priced right based on what I've heard. I'd actually look into a carbon or BHSE before it imho. And that sounds awesome, would love to hear impressions of the CRBN and T2 once you're settled in.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #918 of 1,903
After spending much more time with the CRBNs I can honestly say that I understand them better now. I am now using an ifi iCan Signature amplifier through an ifi iESL energizer and a pro iDSD dac. Turning on the tube+ function (available on both the dac and the amplifier) has made a significant impact on my initial perceptions of mid range forwardness. The tube+ circuit smooths out the upper mid brightness and creates a much more relaxed sound without sacrificing detail or precision. The Xbass circuit adds to the bass without creating bloat or fuzziness. I have been listening to jazz trios, jazz singers and quite a bit of classic jazz and blues vocal standards. This music, and the way it is recorded and mixed, suits the CRBNs very well. There is a fullness to the sound that is quite satisfying. I am still evaluating how best to work with these headphones listening to classical music as recording quality is all over the place, but I can say that the ifi stack is to my ears a great pairing with the CRBNs because of the built in abilities to tailor the sound of the CRBNs. Maybe energizers or amplifiers costing twice what the CRBNs themselves cost would reveal even more, but right now I am impressed with how much better these sound with the iCAN/iESL/iDSD stack vs the Ragnarok 2 into the iESL. No comparison.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #919 of 1,903
I was listening to more female vocals (I was perusing StereoGum's top 50 of 2021). Vocals really do sound great with the CRBN. This whole album sounds really good with the CRBN's

gxYeSlN.png

(Also, I shouldn't like this album, but I kinda do 🤷‍♂️)

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #920 of 1,903
I was listening to more female vocals (I was perusing StereoGum's top 50 of 2021). Vocals really do sound great with the CRBN. This whole album sounds really good with the CRBN's

gxYeSlN.png

(Also, I shouldn't like this album, but I kinda do 🤷‍♂️)
This is the kind of non-audiophile music that I also listen to :joy: (whatever makes me happy right?)

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #922 of 1,903
haven't had this much stax farting in a long time, seals so well against my head, i end up sweating.

The stax farts have been a big problem for me as well. It's a bit frustrating, although not a dealbreaker or anything.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #923 of 1,903
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #924 of 1,903
What exactly are Stax farts?

Has to do with fluctuating air pressure in the cups and typically happens when you move or adjust them. And then sometimes there's a "click" or "pop" subsequently as well. This does happen with my 009 and 007, but far less frequently and to a much lesser degree when it does.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #925 of 1,903
I'm liking the CRBNs more and more. They sound great. This album shows off their capabilities well:

egpHPhT.png

You can hear the bass, the separation between instruments, the soundstage, etc. It's funeral doom, so be warned (it's still great though).

And yeah, I get that the Stax farts too. I have to slowly remove the headphone from my head, or I get that static like sound. Kinda annoying, but not a deal-breaker

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #926 of 1,903
Has to do with fluctuating air pressure in the cups and typically happens when you move or adjust them. And then sometimes there's a "click" or "pop" subsequently as well. This does happen with my 009 and 007, but far less frequently and to a much lesser degree when it does.
Ah I see, so farts that don’t sound like actual farts? 😁

Maybe it’s akin to driver flex on IEMs with dynamic drivers.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #927 of 1,903
I'm not sure. I've only tried the 3ES Elite (which I like a lot, but the tubes are super expensive). I think @number1sixerfan may have previously tried the WES (if I'm remembering correctly)
I am not much of a tube person, but I am quite impressed by Vinnie Rossie L2i-SE integrated (in DAC/pre-amp mode) with 300b Takatsuki 300b tubes driving KGSSHV Carbon CC. Interestingly, with Taks, the transients are even better compared to pure solid state mode of the L2i-SE and the tubes add just the right amount of weight and opens up the soundstage.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #928 of 1,903
I'm liking the CRBNs more and more. They sound great. This album shows off their capabilities well:

egpHPhT.png

You can hear the bass, the separation between instruments, the soundstage, etc. It's funeral doom, so be warned (it's still great though).

And yeah, I get that the Stax farts too. I have to slowly remove the headphone from my head, or I get that static like sound. Kinda annoying, but not a deal-breaker
Greetings, I listened to the CRBNs on a BHSE for a listening period of about 3 hours. I will be purchasing these in the future because they complement my listening tastes more so than my 009s. You mentioned the new Mastodon album in a previous post. Would you recommend theses with rock/metal genre?

Second, I did notice the Stax farts as well. I found it to be significant when moving my head left to the right. Stationary, no issue. Are you finding this as well? Truly not a deal breaker?

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #929 of 1,903
Greetings, I listened to the CRBNs on a BHSE for a listening period of about 3 hours. I will be purchasing these in the future because they complement my listening tastes more so than my 009s. You mentioned the new Mastodon album in a previous post. Would you recommend theses with rock/metal genre?

Second, I did notice the Stax farts as well. I found it to be significant when moving my head left to the right. Stationary, no issue. Are you finding this as well? Truly not a deal breaker?
Yeah, I do think they are great with metal/rock, especially fast metal/rock. There's enough bass to make it fun, and the clarity is really great.

I only experience the Stax farts when I take the headphones off too quickly. I haven't experienced them with moving left or right.

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #930 of 1,903
I’m really liking the crbn. However, the advertising for it says it’s 300g but when I measured it was about 460g (with pads of course and without cable). Has anyone else weighed it and found it is a lot heavier than they were lead to believe?

Users who are viewing this thread

• NCUS
Back