Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Nov 1, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #751 of 1,903
Many of the buyers are looking for an all in one solution also with a remote for the volume etc etc 😉

NOMAX
Jack of all trades....master of none.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #752 of 1,903
I can see the convenience of an all in one, but agreed that at this level most will already have a preferred DAC. Now if the DAC is optional then that would be the best of both worlds.

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #753 of 1,903
All in ones IMHO are only justified when signal path, reflections, interferences, heat loss etc are all minimized for the whole chain for the given application - which is partly a self-contradicting idea, since you need to also separate modules just for these same reasons, therefore requiring proper rethinking of the materials, component design and packaging, resulting in huge R&D cost and/or manufacturing costs (multiple levels are possible from just working with available components but optimize the system like 47 Labs which were all separates, or go full-monty own chipsets and/or programming). Or otherwise just throw everything together into a nice case milled from a single block of aluminium or marble, i.e. the illusion and put a huge price tag on it, strike it through, put a little cheaper price tag on it, calling it a bargain. There you go :). Whereas separates create a better, well, separation of concerns and better component economics as well, albeit with a small compromise on the absolute optimum. There are so many levels on these compromises that no one will solve all possible problems, so we'd have to wisely choose a subset for a given market (prediction).

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #754 of 1,903
All in ones IMHO are only justified when signal path, reflections, interferences, heat loss etc are all minimized for the whole chain for the given application - which is partly a self-contradicting idea, since you need to also separate modules just for these same reasons, therefore requiring proper rethinking of the materials, component design and packaging, resulting in huge R&D cost and/or manufacturing costs (multiple levels are possible from just working with available components but optimize the system like 47 Labs which were all separates, or go full-monty own chipsets and/or programming). Or otherwise just throw everything together into a nice case milled from a single block of aluminium or marble, i.e. the illusion and put a huge price tag on it, strike it through, put a little cheaper price tag on it, calling it a bargain. There you go :). Whereas separates create a better, well, separation of concerns and better component economics as well, albeit with a small compromise on the absolute optimum. There are so many levels on these compromises that no one will solve all possible problems, so we'd have to wisely choose a subset for a given market (prediction).
You misunderstood. THE ONE not All in One. ONE headset to rule them all as a daily driver and that Porsche that you take into the canyons also.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #756 of 1,903
Nov 1, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #758 of 1,903
You never heared the LCD-5 so you cannot say that.
In case of the tonality....there are reasons why i choose the CRBN and not LCD5 😉

NOMAX

PS.and also wearing comfort

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #759 of 1,903
I can see the convenience of an all in one, but agreed that at this level most will already have a preferred DAC. Now if the DAC is optional then that would be the best of both worlds.

I have a BHSE, but I've been looking for a good sub-1K option to use in a second setup in another room. In the STAX III topic, there are constantly people looking for info on lower cost STAX amps. So I'm pretty sure there is a market for a STAX D50-like device with more power. Agree, that ideally it should have both digital and analog inputs.

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #760 of 1,903
I have a BHSE, but I've been looking for a good sub-1K option to use in a second setup in another room. In the STAX III topic, there are constantly people looking for info on lower cost STAX amps. So I'm pretty sure there is a market for a STAX D50-like device with more power. Agree, that ideally it should have both digital and analog inputs.
The pro bias requires a lot of voltage so I would think it would be difficult to find something below $1K. I was talking to one builder and the 4 main operational amplifiers he thought might be best retail for almost $1K just for those high voltage opamps. I hope someone finds an effective strategy to delivery the pro bias voltage needed.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #761 of 1,903
The pro bias requires a lot of voltage so I would think it would be difficult to find something below $1K. I was talking to one builder and the 4 main operational amplifiers he thought might be best retail for almost $1K just for those high voltage opamps. I hope someone finds an effective strategy to delivery the pro bias voltage needed.

I don't think "best" applies when talking below 1K electrostatic amps (maybe below 1.5K is more reasonable benchmark). There are always compromises at those price levels, but often the gear is still very good (STAX SRM-353X is under 1K, for example). Nomax is being coy about the maker, but a company like iFi or Topping could pull it off.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #762 of 1,903
Here’s me thinking that this thread was all about Chemical, Radiological, Biological and Nuclear threats from Audeze headphones :skull_crossbones:

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #763 of 1,903
I don't think "best" applies when talking below 1K electrostatic amps (maybe below 1.5K is more reasonable benchmark). There are always compromises at those price levels, but often the gear is still very good (STAX SRM-353X is under 1K, for example). Nomax is being coy about the maker, but a company like iFi or Topping could pull it off.
I had a 353x before getting a BHSE, and it was decent. I'm not sure a 1K or even 1.5K combo amp/dac is tha target for CRBN owners. Maybe as a stepping stone. But something like a BHSE really shows what a CRBN or 009 can do compared to the 353x I had. But as others have said, the market will determine if it is something people want. And if it brings more people to electrostats, then great.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #765 of 1,903
I had a 353x before getting a BHSE, and it was decent. I'm not sure a 1K or even 1.5K combo amp/dac is tha target for CRBN owners. Maybe as a stepping stone. But something like a BHSE really shows what a CRBN or 009 can do compared to the 353x I had. But as others have said, the market will determine if it is something people want. And if it brings more people to electrostats, then great.

Agreed. We are discussing this in the CRBN topic of course, but the market is likely to be primerily owners of less expensive headphones like the L300/500/700. Personally, I'd love a sub-1K (maybe 1.5K) amp with fewer compromises than existing offerings that I can use in a second setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back