Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #61 of 1,894
Kudos to Audeze on doing something for a medical purpose. I'm really curious if the rest of the elements beyond the diaphragm are all graphene or if they found some work around to not interfere with the MRI machines. The video also kept saying something about optical cables? Though I'm guessing there's probably a bunch of proprietary stuff in there that can't be shared.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #63 of 1,894
I previously had discovered that somebody had stated, within an article, that that thickness, that that film would possess, would be 3 microns.
The exact thickens is proprietary information we are unable to share, we have a lot of flexibility depending on the application and how we want to tune, CRBN's nano-tube infused film is between 1.5 - 2.2 microns, I can only provide a range not a specific number :)

Also beyond a certain point it does not make much sense to chase thinness, air-loading starts to dominate, stability and robustness become more important. We have even tried 0.5 micron thin version...

Edit: By virtue of not having a metal deposit, the diaphragm is also lighter compared to a comparably thick diaphragm, the reduced inertia does help with speed and efficiency too.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #64 of 1,894
I try to leave the Stax mafia and they pull me back in. Oh wait, there is no Stax mafia.

I sold my he-60, 007mk2, Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon, and finally my 009.

I still have a Stax SRM 717 which could probably drive this decently. It drove my 009 pretty well, pre carbon.

this is the first headphone in a while where I instantly felt that I must have. But the problem is that it won’t stop until I have a bright purple blue Hawaii special edition.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #65 of 1,894
The exact thickens is proprietary information we are unable to share, we have a lot of flexibility depending on the application and how we want to tune, CRBN's nano-tube infused film is between 1.5 - 2.2 microns, I can only provide a range not a specific number :)

Also beyond a certain point it does not make much sense to chase thinness, air-loading starts to dominate, stability and robustness become more important. We have even tried 0.5 micron thin version...

Edit: By virtue of not having a metal deposit, the diaphragm is also lighter compared to a comparably thick diaphragm, the reduced inertia does help with speed and efficiency too.
Thank you, for providing those pieces of that information, for within this thread.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #66 of 1,894

Kmann - I just sent you guys my LCD XC to be upgraded to 2021 tuning/drivers. I love that headphone, but if you want to keep it and send me the CRBN, I am cool with that too. Just saying.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #67 of 1,894
Are the cables detachable from the cups? Is it a proprietary pin-out or will aftermarket options be available? 2.5m is a smidge too short for my use case. Would a Stax cable extender cause any issues?

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #68 of 1,894
Kudos to Audeze on doing something for a medical purpose. I'm really curious if the rest of the elements beyond the diaphragm are all graphene or if they found some work around to not interfere with the MRI machines. The video also kept saying something about optical cables? Though I'm guessing there's probably a bunch of proprietary stuff in there that can't be shared.
I believe the optical cables were for the medical version of the product only, not the CRBN itself.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #69 of 1,894
Are the cables detachable from the cups?
No, for obvious safety reasons.
Is it a proprietary pin-out or will aftermarket options be available? 2.5m is a smidge too short for my use case. Would a Stax cable extender cause any issues?
It is not proprietary, Stax cable extender would work fine and we will make matching extenders available too.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #70 of 1,894
No, for obvious safety reasons.

It is not proprietary, Stax cable extender would work fine and we will make matching extenders available too.

Was the 300g measurmenrt with or without cable?

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #72 of 1,894
Was the 300g measurmenrt with or without cable?
I'm guessing without. But, 300, that is wonderfully light. Just by hearing the MrSpeakers Ether 2. It was under 300. Like nothing on the head.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #74 of 1,894
I believe the optical cables were for the medical version of the product only, not the CRBN itself.

I meant I was wondering how are the optical cables used? Yes they transmit data, but you still need some kind of powered receiver and transmitter, but if metal is un-useable in the vicinity of the MRI, then are all the wires graphene? are there tiny components/ICs in there that aren't affected by the MRI? Just curiosity as to how the thing works. Also, are the stators graphene or something else?

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #75 of 1,894
Pretty excited about this, and super impressed with the story behind their development! There's a very good chance these will be the next grail I'll be chasing, though I'm going to take my time and wait for reviews and ideally a chance to audition them. If these really do compete head to head with Stax 009 I'd rather buy from Audeze given Stax's weird non-presence and inaccessibility in the west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back