Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #46 of 1,903
Can any of those who know comment on how nicely the CRBN might play with the recommended converters (as opposed to the dedicated estat amps), if the converters are paired with solid and respectable high end-ish amps?

Woo Audio WEE
https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wee

IFI ProiESL
https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-iesl

I particularly want to know how the IFi might play with a good SS or Hybrid Headamp. Comments on Converter + Speaker amp pairings are also welcome.

Bottomline, I would like to avoid the use of a converter if that option entails too much of a compromise in the SQ department.
You can get a lightly used Stax amp from the classified section for considerably less, the most powerful is the modified SRM-727II, SRM-323S is another good one for less, SRM-007tII not as powerful, but more musical (the headphones seem to be quite efficient, so it might be enough to start with). And there are older variants for even less money, which can be just as good when refurbished, the design hasn't really evolved that much.
It's going to deal with the load much better with less distortion compared to a headphone amp plus transformer combination. If I really wanted that, I would just get a modified SRD-7 adapter to save more money. And I would not choose that option, unless I had a really good speaker amp fit for this purpose.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #47 of 1,903
So...what is the lowest cost energizer that will still maintain a quality sound out of these guys? I can't spring for these now...but anything related to these + powering them would be pushing my budget to the very max.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #49 of 1,903
Hoping to hear one of these at canjam

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #51 of 1,903
Pelican rolling cases. They look official enough that everyone assumes you're doing something really important and don't bother you.

If you're in a restricted area you might also want to carry a clipboard.
This and I would do it between 2am to 4am. Less eyeballs never hurts. Particularly if they spousal eyeballs.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #52 of 1,903
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #53 of 1,903
I Messaged Audeze on Instagram and they confirmed that we will be able to listen at CanJam SoCal!

Awesome! These and the raal circumaural are top of my to try list for next month

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #55 of 1,903
Can any of those who know comment on how nicely the CRBN might play with the recommended converters (as opposed to the dedicated estat amps), if the converters are paired with solid and respectable high end-ish amps?

Woo Audio WEE
https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wee

IFI ProiESL
https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-iesl

I particularly want to know how the IFi might play with a good SS or Hybrid Headamp. Comments on Converter + Speaker amp pairings are also welcome.

Bottomline, I would like to avoid the use of a converter if that option entails too much of a compromise in the SQ department.

Can't speak for the new CRBN of course, but Pro iESL + beefy power amplifer offers the best sound out of my Stax SR-009S ever, highly recommend if you are looking for clean, powerful and controlled solid state experience.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #56 of 1,903
Dont forget Abyss closed back !

Is that oficialy releasing by canjam? Last I heard it will still wip with no release date.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #57 of 1,903
Sounds very cool. But all that talk about EQ from Jude about boosting the bass and dialing down the highs doesn’t sound that good to me. I am really looking forward to the reviews when they come. I am though more interested in the lcd-r then this judging by the sound profile alone (and the sparse info and reviews from the two headphones) also 4500$ with a same amount put into a special amp is a lot to me. So I don’t see me buying these. Too bad I missed the lcd-r launch.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #59 of 1,903
So...what is the lowest cost energizer that will still maintain a quality sound out of these guys? I can't spring for these now...but anything related to these + powering them would be pushing my budget to the very max.
You can find an SRM-T1 under 700$ or an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro for under 400$, these will probably do a decent job for the money, might need a bit of refurbishing (new capacitors, connectors, better sounding tubes in case of the SRM-T1, etc.) because of age, but my SRM-T1W from 1994 hasn't been refurbished, and it still works just fine.
Dynamics, impact, detail, high and low frequency extension are just some of the things that will improve once you up the power (let's face it, for a 4500$ headphone you would want an amp and a source of similar calibre to kind of access the performance it is capable of) but at normal volumes with more compressed material (which is what they make these days anyway), it is still probably going to sound quite good.

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #60 of 1,903
Anyone have tips for the stealthy transportation of massive and heavy items from an office to their home? Asking for a friend.
With Covid picking back up, just put them in a case of toilet paer. Tell the spouse your being proactive. At least that's what my friend suggested.:jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back