Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,621 of 1,910
How's the sound? I'm curious about your evaluation
So far they're light and airy, with plenty of space. They're a bit on the lean side. So while they have bass, they're not weighty or impactful. R&B need not apply. Jazz is ok, as is classical. Mids and highs are brilliant. Voices are tonally magnificient. They're very precise with just a touch of warmth to them. But definitely not a pair of ZMF Atrums...

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #1,622 of 1,910
So far they're light and airy, with plenty of space. They're a bit on the lean side. So while they have bass, they're not weighty or impactful. R&B need not apply. Jazz is ok, as is classical. Mids and highs are brilliant. Voices are tonally magnificient. They're very precise with just a touch of warmth to them. But definitely not a pair of ZMF Atrums...
If you use Roon perhaps you can also try the CRBN preset? On my system the CRBN is actually quite meaty & impactful. I also find the positioning of the pads slightly affects the sound. I‘m wearing them lower so that the upper part of my ear is just below the upper part of the pads and it adds a touch more bass.

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,623 of 1,910
I would describe the CRBN as warm with excellent (for an estat) bass. More impact and quantity than my 007 mk2. Maybe the just need a little break in. Interested to see if your perception of the sound changes with time. You certainly have the headphones to compare them to.

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,624 of 1,910
Agree with @normie610 : the fit can be a bit finicky. Also agree with @JLoud : the sound did become more liquid and settle down. Not sure if it's break in or me getting the best fit. But hey! As long as it works! :)

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #1,625 of 1,910
I would describe the CRBN as warm with excellent (for an estat) bass. More impact and quantity than my 007 mk2. Maybe the just need a little break in. Interested to see if your perception of the sound changes with time. You certainly have the headphones to compare them to.
I'd describe them as dead neutral.
Considering their flat bass it also wasn't lacking. (All my other headphones have slightly elevated Bass)

I hope their next estat will be warm with above neutral Bass (but knowing Audeze this is unlikely to happen)

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,626 of 1,910
If you use Roon perhaps you can also try the CRBN preset? On my system the CRBN is actually quite meaty & impactful. I also find the positioning of the pads slightly affects the sound. I‘m wearing them lower so that the upper part of my ear is just below the upper part of the pads and it adds a touch more bass.
I am using Roon, and I have the Audeze CRBN preset on. I just shifted them lower, so we'll see. I understand from a friend of mine who also has them that they do take 50+ hours to loosen up. I think part of this is the amp and tubes (Stax SRM-007t Gen 1, stock tubes, I think). This thing looks brand-new, came from Japan (has the universal transformer built-in), and also probably needs biasing. I'll do that with the NOS tubes I got after I let it burn in for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, it's probably just needing some break-in. Compared to my other headphones, it's a whole other experience. Complete opposite end of the spectrum from the Woo WA5-LE, that's for sure.

Agree with @normie610 : the fit can be a bit finicky. Also agree with @JLoud : the sound did become more liquid and settle down. Not sure if it's break in or me getting the best fit. But hey! As long as it works! :)
The one thing I did notice is that if I start moving them around on my head I get the infamous "farting" as well as some "crackling". Not sure if it's just new headphone syndrome of a bad pair of headphones. I've got some time to swap them through Adorama if need be.

I'd describe them as dead neutral.
Considering their flat bass it also wasn't lacking. (All my other headphones have slightly elevated Bass)

I hope their next estat will be warm with above neutral Bass (but knowing Audeze this is unlikely to happen)
I think with the Roon preset they're just warm of neutral. The Utopias are (IMO) as close to dead neutral as I get. The Meze Elites are close but have a slight color to them.

Question - are these suppose to make a lot of noise (like a crinkling sound) if you so much as touch them, even with nothing playing? I notice that even if I move my jaw, they'll make noise. It's possible I got a bad set, maybe???

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,627 of 1,910
I am using Roon, and I have the Audeze CRBN preset on. I just shifted them lower, so we'll see. I understand from a friend of mine who also has them that they do take 50+ hours to loosen up. I think part of this is the amp and tubes (Stax SRM-007t Gen 1, stock tubes, I think). This thing looks brand-new, came from Japan (has the universal transformer built-in), and also probably needs biasing. I'll do that with the NOS tubes I got after I let it burn in for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, it's probably just needing some break-in. Compared to my other headphones, it's a whole other experience. Complete opposite end of the spectrum from the Woo WA5-LE, that's for sure.

The one thing I did notice is that if I start moving them around on my head I get the infamous "farting" as well as some "crackling". Not sure if it's just new headphone syndrome of a bad pair of headphones. I've got some time to swap them through Adorama if need be.

I think with the Roon preset they're just warm of neutral. The Utopias are (IMO) as close to dead neutral as I get. The Meze Elites are close but have a slight color to them.

Question - are these suppose to make a lot of noise (like a crinkling sound) if you so much as touch them, even with nothing playing? I notice that even if I move my jaw, they'll make noise. It's possible I got a bad set, maybe???
The only noise I felt was when I took off my headphones. Except then, I didn't feel the noise.

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #1,628 of 1,910

That's their fart. Built in feature.

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #1,629 of 1,910

It should only fart if you make significant movements. I find that I can still do some slight/minor movements without invoking the fart. The only time when I had the fart was when I sneezed very hard. And yes if you touch the back side with the palm of your hand it will crackle and make static noise.

I try as much as I can to follow Audeze video instructions i.e. I only put on the headphones with cable attached to the amp/energizer and everything is turned off (and vice versa when I want to remove the headphones).

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,630 of 1,910

The infamous Stax fart. I come from the Stax world, where the SR-007s and 009s suffer from that a fair bit. :)

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,631 of 1,910
This happens with the slightest touch, not putting my palm on the backs. I can literally yawn and the "farting" starts. It doesn't go away, either. Once they "fart", it is continual. I have to shut the whole rig down and restart it. If Estat are this sensitive, they may not be for me...

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,632 of 1,910
The infamous Stax fart. I come from the Stax world, where the SR-007s and 009s suffer from that a fair bit. :)
Long-suffering. :joy:

My Omega nor 009 ever farted, strangely.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #1,633 of 1,910
Long-suffering. :joy:

My Omega nor 009 ever farted, strangely.
Indeed… Ah… Never with the Omega. Cos the fit is on the loose side. Come to think of it, not so much with the 009S where the ear pads are stiffer. :)

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #1,634 of 1,910
This happens with the slightest touch, not putting my palm on the backs. I can literally yawn and the "farting" starts. It doesn't go away, either. Once they "fart", it is continual. I have to shut the whole rig down and restart it. If Estat are this sensitive, they may not be for me...
Send them in for repair. I had them early on and they did this all the time. Audeze fixed them, but they still do it if you touch the cups. None of my other estat headphones do this. None of them.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #1,635 of 1,910
Send them in for repair. I had them early on and they did this all the time. Audeze fixed them, but they still do it if you touch the cups. None of my other estat headphones do this. None of them.
Already created an RMA. I got these as part of the Adorama "Black Friday" sale, so I'm within the 30 day return window. They'll send me a new pair (hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back