Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Oct 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #76 of 820

A closed-back Audeze? Yes!

And, yes, it's a planar magnetic design.

Earlier tonight, I got a chance to listen to one of Audeze's closed back prototypes. Actually, these prototypes are more of a “proof of concept” at this point. As these are still in the "proof of concept" stage, only a few exist. If they do become a reality, look for a release mid next year (2013).

This headphone is a fully closed design. How does it sound? Exquisite. Surprisingly open, airy. In my initial listening session, it did not sound closed-in, the soundstage impressive.

And later today, anyone at RMAF can hear it for himself. Seriously, go hear it. Seriously.

Without a doubt, this one moves into one of the top spots on my wish list.

Nice! If they sound like the LCD-2/LCD-3, they will be winners! Quick question Jude, how did they isolate?

Quote:
a closed audez'e phone.
what some of us have been waiting for...   
o2smile.gif

x2.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #77 of 820
Quote:
Rev 1 drivers, rev 1 & 2 cracking wood, 3 drivers (heck I didn't even consider the LCD 1). There's been a lot of problems and while they have top notch service that's not exactly a great pedigree. 

I loved my rev 2, and I'm hoping this closed model does really well...I just want them to be sure it's ready for prime time this go round.

I agree with MTs thoughts here.  Lets hope that Audeze can get all the kinks worked out before actually going "live".  Nothing worse than being an early adopter only to learn that the hp is plagued with driver mismatches, failures, and worse, a new revision just around the corner.

If they can pull this off (hoping they do) it may stand a solid chance to hang with the big boys in the closed hp (top tier) realm. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #80 of 820
Hi linglingjr ...I guess Im referring to hps such as the TH-900,Ultrasone Sig Pro, ED-8 etc...the usual suspects, to name but a few.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #81 of 820
popcorn.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #82 of 820
Nice! If they sound like the LCD-2/LCD-3, they will be winners!

Wait, that would make it a loser. Why would I buy a headphone that sounds just like another headphone (unless it's cheaper) -- especially if made by the same company? AKG received a lot of heat for the Q701, which was essentially a superficial, albeit appealing, makeover of the K701 with minute changes. I want a new headphone, not a cosmetic iteration of the same headphone switched over to closed-back. Now, if it sounds as good as the LCD-2/3, it'll be a winner.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #83 of 820
In short: they're damn good, they're not too heavy, they isolate well. They don't quite have the air of an open headphone but they're well extended at both ends. This is an early version, they're going to keep playing with the damping for a while before bringing it to market.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #84 of 820
Quote:
In short: they're damn good, they're not too heavy, they isolate well. They don't quite have the air of an open headphone but they're well extended at both ends. This is an early version, they're going to keep playing with the damping for a while before bringing it to market.

Tell us more about it

popcorn.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #85 of 820
Wow experimenting with the acoustics of headphones sounds pretty fun hahaha, I wonder what degrees would you get to pursue that career? Audio engineering or mechanical? also these look 100x sexier than any closed back headphone ive seen. well except for the ath woodies guess.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #86 of 820

From my experience the LCD-2 didn't have much of a soundstage considering it's an open-back headphone.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #87 of 820
Quote:

Tell us more about it

popcorn.gif

When you put them on hordes of jealous head-fiers and amorous hussies of all species and genders descend upon you, insisting that you are the beheadphoned one foretold by the prophecy to repopulate the indecent grated slots of all LCDs with righteous wood. But alas you cannot hear their beckoned calls - maybe because of the isolation or maybe you'd rather just choose to laugh maniacally and listen to some tunes as the world crashes down around you. I would tell more, but all I remember is the rivers of blood and the cacophony of headphone purveyors banging their heads against the walls in regret of not coming up with the idea of releasing a good closed ortho (modders excluded).

Mind you this is why you should never demo headphones in the midst of an ether binge.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #88 of 820
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. It looks like most of the money went into expensive and luxurious materials and not build quality. I'm not that big into wooden headphones myself, since my wooden coffee tables, office tables, wooden floors and my wooden bed frames are of a higher craftsmanship than any "Woodie" headphone I've seen, including the Audeze LCD-3.

Proof of concept prototypes are not commercial release units. 

TMYK.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #89 of 820
Quote:

When you put them on hordes of jealous head-fiers and amorous hussies of all species and genders descend upon you, insisting that you are the beheadphoned one foretold by the prophecy to repopulate the indecent grated slots of all LCDs with righteous wood. But alas you cannot hear their beckoned calls - maybe because of the isolation or maybe you'd rather just choose to laugh maniacally and listen to some tunes as the world crashes down around you. I would tell more, but all I remember is the rivers of blood and the cacophony of headphone purveyors banging their heads against the walls in regret of not coming up with the idea of releasing a good closed ortho (modders excluded).

Mind you this is why you should never demo headphones in the midst of an ether binge.

blink.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #90 of 820
Quote:
It's all relative to the noise in the room the person is using the headphones.

Even if there is about 10-20 db noise (EDIT: more than normal) in that room, the closed back headphone will sound a lot better.
Also the closed back is much more flexible, and can be used anywhere, everywhere. I could probably use the lcd-3 about a couple of hours a week. However the closed back version would never leave my head.

Exactly, in a noise environment these will have a bid advantage in terms of the noise floor therefore better details, better dynamics, no need to try to drown out external noise by turning up volume and damaging your hearing.
Not sure I would use these on the move though, the whole leather airtight seal pressure change thing would be pretty uncomfortable and distracting, might be alright with the vegan pads.
I look forward to a face off between these and the Ultrasone Sig Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back