Audalytic AH90 - All in one Streamer, DAC, Heapphone Amp
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #271 of 374
I have gone through the entirety of this thread and still don't get why my soft/firmware upgrade doesn't allow me to use Tidal Connect nor Spotify Connect.

I've:
- Installed the latest R26 firmware ('overseas')
- Ran the usb program
- (After some time realized to) start the software update in the AH90's menu
- Selected the device on the usb program
- Selected the v1.43 firm/software
- Waited approx 5 mins
- Got a success message
- Switch off the device (as indicated) with the remote

Result:
- LAN status remains on 'WAIT...'
- Cable in the back shows green/orange blinking lights
- My router cannot seems to find the device (even though my previous Hegel streamer was found instantly)

Perhaps/surely, I'm missing a step here. Or should I not use the 'LAN input' and then expect my Tidal to show a cast button?

However, seemingly there seems to be a few ways of doing it. This thread is also already a few months old, so to come down to my question:

> What would be the best way to allow the device to use Tidal/Spotify Connect at this moment?
> Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #272 of 374
I have gone through the entirety of this thread and still don't get why my soft/firmware upgrade doesn't allow me to use Tidal Connect nor Spotify Connect.

I've:
- Ran the usb program
- Selected the v1.43 firm/software
- Waited approx 5 mins
- Got a success message

Result:
- My router cannot seems to find the device (even though my previous Hegel streamer was found instantly)

Perhaps/surely, I'm missing a step here. Or should I not use the 'LAN input' and then expect my Tidal to show a cast button?

However, seemingly there seems to be a few ways of doing it. This thread is also already a few months old, so to come down to my question:

> What would be the best way to allow the device to use Tidal/Spotify Connect at this moment?
The AH90 is probably not going to show up in the standard MS network configuration. You can try Advanced IP Scanner which will generally find the network activity. Rather than going crazy with technical hunting, The AH90 doesn't come with the various services you seek. I use a WiiM Pro also with the Audalytic AH90. WiiM can connect directly to the AH90 and co-exist in a network too. The AH90 sounds loads better. The Wiim Pro concept is to act rather like a setbox. I rarely if ever use it. Instead I use Tidal or Roon. Only when I want to connect to YouTube Music which requires Chromecast (which is lossy), then I switch to to the Wiim.

The installation of the Gustarender on your device renders to the AH90. I had JRiver and foobar connected, but prefer the ease of use of Tidal and Roon. Tidal connects to the AH90 through the Gustarender driver. I think that Spotify does not for the moment. But it takes only seconds to do so from a WiiM to the AH90.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #273 of 374

I've:
- Ran the usb program
- Selected the v1.43 firm/softwareI
- Waited approx 5 mins
- Got a success message

Result:

With the Gustarender driver installed, you only need to choose an area or device to play to. Choose Gustarendar or AH90 and it should play. Make sure you have the volume turned up.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #276 of 374
I asked Tharbamar directly for his opinion, for my use case. His response pushed me to the DMP-A6.
I have the pros and cons of the DMP-A6.
Pros

Classy, clean sound. Good looking display. Decent app. Endpoint functions well. Frequent software updates. Meters and spectrum stuff. EQ capability (limited)

Cons

Pretty bad with local file libraries. Unfocused, inconsistent user experience, Clumsy, messy navigation, Touch display precision, slow to boot, Unfriendly deadends in the software.

I use Roon, Tidal and as a back up an inexpensive WiiM for the things my unit doesn't do. That is simpler for me. I set up my devices and them I am good to go.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #278 of 374
The answer is: use the AH90 in it's default condition, with the stock firmware it comes with out of the box. I use the AH90 with the stock firmware for months now as a Tidal endpoint without any issues. Did you try using it with Tidal before you updated the firmware?
I've:
May I ask why you installed the R26 firmware on the AH90? Did you follow manufacturers instructions and are you sure this is the correct firmware for the AH90? I'm waiting for the firmware update for months but I expect a device-specific firmware for the AH90 that comes with specific manufacturers instructions. Could @GUSTARD @Zhangshan maybe shed some light on this matter?

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #279 of 374
The AH90 is probably not going to show up in the standard MS network configuration. You can try Advanced IP Scanner which will generally find the network activity. Rather than going crazy with technical hunting, The AH90 doesn't come with the various services you seek. I use a WiiM Pro also with the Audalytic AH90. WiiM can connect directly to the AH90 and co-exist in a network too. The AH90 sounds loads better. The Wiim Pro concept is to act rather like a setbox. I rarely if ever use it. Instead I use Tidal or Roon. Only when I want to connect to YouTube Music which requires Chromecast (which is lossy), then I switch to to the Wiim.

The installation of the Gustarender on your device renders to the AH90. I had JRiver and foobar connected, but prefer the ease of use of Tidal and Roon. Tidal connects to the AH90 through the Gustarender driver. I think that Spotify does not for the moment. But it takes only seconds to do so from a WiiM to the AH90.
Perhaps I understood it incorrectly, but I am pretty sure Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect should work with the v1.43.

> Is this not the case?

Moreover, there seems to be an issue in my setup where the LAN input doesn’t find any IP. Not sure how I should proceed based on your suggestion.

> Could you explain it a bit more for a rookie? 🤓

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #280 of 374
The answer is: use the AH90 in it's default condition, with the stock firmware it comes with out of the box. I use the AH90 with the stock firmware for months now as a Tidal endpoint without any issues. Did you try using it with Tidal before you updated the firmware?

May I ask why you installed the R26 firmware on the AH90? Did you follow manufacturers instructions and are you sure this is the correct firmware for the AH90? I'm waiting for the firmware update for months but I expect a device-specific firmware for the AH90 that comes with specific manufacturers instructions. Could @GUSTARD @Zhangshan maybe shed some light on this matter?
Thanks for your reply.

I am *not trying to use it as an ‘endpoint’ (at least, I think). I am trying to use the Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect (using the native iOS apps > cast to …).

However, neither of those are working.

Also the LAN input (assuming I need to use that one), keeps stating ‘LAN wait…’. Both before and after the supposed firmware upgrade (which I want to underline: perhaps might have not gone down correctly (see my description in previous post)).

> Any suggestions, assuming Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect should work via the LAN input?

Ps. Also my upnp app doesn’t manage to find the device, unlike a Hegel streamer I had here recently.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #281 of 374
Perhaps I understood it incorrectly, but I am pretty sure Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect should work with the v1.43.

> Is this not the case?
I can confirm this is true, Tidal connect works with Gustarender v1.43 which is the stock firmware my device came with.

I am *not trying to use it as an ‘endpoint’ (at least, I think). I am trying to use the Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect (using the native iOS apps > cast to …).
This is exactly what I mean with 'endpoint'. I can select the AH90 as the output device in the Tidal app both on my ipad and macbook.

Also the LAN input (assuming I need to use that one), keeps stating ‘LAN wait…’. Both before and after the supposed firmware upgrade (which I want to underline: perhaps might have not gone down correctly (see my description in previous post)).
Indeed you need to use the LAN input (connect to your home network with an rj45 network cable) and the display must show 'LAN ready'. I just tested a theory: If I unplug the LAN cable and start my device, will it still show ready? If true, then your device might have an issue. If I unplug my LAN cable and I still get 'LAN wait' then you might have an issue with your network. I did this test just now and when I have no LAN cable plugged in I still get 'LAN ready'. So I assume there is an issue with your device.

It would proof super useful if others could comment on the matter with the correct firmware. Based on the information that is available to me, I would personally not flash the R26 firmware on the AH90. But maybe someone has information that I don't have.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #282 of 374
I can confirm this is true, Tidal connect works with Gustarender v1.43 which is the stock firmware my device came with.

This is exactly what I mean with 'endpoint'. I can select the AH90 as the output device in the Tidal app both on my ipad and macbook.

Indeed you need to use the LAN input (connect to your home network with an rj45 network cable) and the display must show 'LAN ready'. I just tested a theory: If I unplug the LAN cable and start my device, will it still show ready? If true, then your device might have an issue. If I unplug my LAN cable and I still get 'LAN wait' then you might have an issue with your network. I did this test just now and when I have no LAN cable plugged in I still get 'LAN ready'. So I assume there is an issue with your device.

It would proof super useful if others could comment on the matter with the correct firmware. Based on the information that is available to me, I would personally not flash the R26 firmware on the AH90. But maybe someone has information that I don't have.
That was very valuable. Thanks a bunch!

> How to check the current firmware?

Is that using this ‘general usb software’ available on the top of the support page?

Edit:
- I just checked my LAN input and even when removing the cable before switching it on, it remains at ‘LAN WAIT’. After connecting, still no change.
> Would that be a technical issue or something that a software update/different approach can fix?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #283 of 374
> How to check the current firmware?
Apparently the only way to check the firmware version is via software, you can see that in foobar2000 and it shows as airplay device called "Gustarender-1v43" (but only on apple devices).

- I just checked my LAN input and even when removing the cable before switching it on, it remains at ‘LAN WAIT’. After connecting, still no change.
> Would that be a technical issue or something that a software update/different approach can fix?
I think this is likely a software issue that can be fixed. There is a micro-sd card at the back of the device that contains a linux operating system for the streaming capability. This linux os boots every time the device is restarted and/or the input is switched to LAN. In the 'LAN wait'-state, I assume the os could not boot for some reason. I suggest asking the manufacturer for assistence, good thing is the sd-card can easily be swapped, they sure will send you a fresh one if you can't restore the correct firmware.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #284 of 374
I am going to give the locations of firmware for the AH90. This is the last one I have a info on which was from January. I believe it is the last one.

Zhangshan

Member of the Trade: GUSTARD​

Sorry for the late reply

Roon is the most stable protocol. If there is lag or loss, it is mainly due to network stability issues.

Since this is an audio application, the stability of the network should be the main optimization direction, rather than relying on the error correction capabilities of the audio device.

Better network stability provides better sound quality.

You can prepare a spare TF card to hold the new streamer firmware, and replacing the TF card can exchange the streamer firmware more quickly, if you want to compare the differences between them.

The default settings are already the best settings, and of course they can be adjusted according to the user's subjective feelings.

Here is the info from January
Zhangshan said:
Hello, my friend.

We have just finished the Chinese New Year holiday, and everything has started working.

Regarding the 1.06 beta software, it is the working software of the body's MCU. Therefore, it is directly downloaded via the USB interface.

As for the xxx.img.gz, it is the image file of the SD card disk, and the system of the streamer is on it.

They are two different programs.

When importing xxx.img.gz into the SD card, the original file system of the SD card can be ignored. The burning software will change it and write it to the SD card according to the requirements of the image.

Best regards.

AH90_CT_m1.06beta_with dsddirect.zip (100 KB)
Share link
https://www.mediafire.com/file/55vyelwmywr50sl/AH90_CT_m1.06beta_with_dsddirect.zip/file

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #285 of 374

> Is this not the case?

Moreover, there seems to be an issue in my setup where the LAN input doesn’t find any IP. Not sure how I should proceed based on your suggestion.

> Could you explain it a bit more for a rookie? 🤓
It is not going to show you any kind of a pop menu. It acts like an appliance rather than a set top box. One you download the Gustarender or the USB software the system will be used rather like a printer. You use software on your computer or whatever, and direct it to be played on the AH90. So it is similar to using a printer, in a certain sense. It works super with Roon, and Tidal. JRiver and Foobar and several other services too. Tidal and Roon were so easy I decided to stay with them. I use a Wiim Pro to get services other than those, simply because it is easy to connect the WiiM to the AH90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back