ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #9,061 of 9,735
Yeah, I've got the Eikon Lambskin and Suede pads for my set (camphor eikon) and I can only tell a slight difference but I find myself preferring the lambskin - feels like it has a little more punch than the suede - but boy that suede is comfy. Of course, I typically am listening on my Fiio M11 Pro, so it's not coming through a real high powered system. Though i've never understood the people that say the M11 Pro doesn't have enough power for a ZMF - it gets more than loud enough and sounds great to my ears - i'm not really an A-B analytical listener though - I like to kickback in the back patio and listen to some great sounding tunes and I don't like to have multiple devices, so that combo is perfect for my needs.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #9,062 of 9,735
I like to kickback in the back patio and listen to some great sounding tunes and I don't like to have multiple devices, so that combo is perfect for my needs.
See, that’s what our obsession hobby is all about- what works for you and gives you musical joy! 👏😊

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #9,063 of 9,735
I own 3 ZMFs currently (Ori, Aeolus, VO) and owned the Eikon, Atticus, and Atrium at one time. I've done pad rolling on the Aeolus and Atrium, to very good effect, but it was all w/pads ZMF specifically recommends for those headphones.

My conclusion: Zach knows what he's doing when he selects a stock earpad for each headphone. Out of all 6 ZMF HPs I own or owned, I only preferred a non-stock pad for the Aoelus (perforated Universe suede pads), and I have a lot of company in that preference.

This is why I do relatively little pad rolling on ZMF headphones, and only roll ZMF pads specifically recommended for that particular headphone. You just can't improve on success IMO...
I'm with you. I tend to run the stock pads also on my ZMFs. The exceptions are I prefer the BE2 perforated lambskin pads with the VO and Eikon Suede pads with the Eikon over the stock lambskin pads. Also I run the original Aeolus pads with the Aeolus (over the current Universe perforated lambskin pads).

I'm getting off track but the point is I agree that Zach does an excellent job with matching and recommending pads. It's nice to have options though. For instance I occasionally roll perforated Eikon Suede pads on my Autuer and like the sound with those pads just as much as the stock Autuer perforated lambskin pads.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #9,064 of 9,735
It's 2022 thought it was time to try out the Eikon; as I am normally late to a party.

I've had a padauk Atticus in the past and... well it's say it was not the best of experiences I have had. I bought it 2nd handed and the owner before me had quite different shape head (so I assume). The headphone needed some real bending love to even come close to a good fit. The bass was sloppy and fat. Bled to death into the mids and yeah short story.

I think my story with this Cherry OG Eikon will be a lot longer. Bought it again 2nd handed. This time the fit was near perfect out of the box and the sound signature is so much more in line to what I like and hope for in a headphone. Yes the weight is a thing but it's not too heavy (looking at you LCD2CB).

Can it compete with my daily driven Meze Emyrean? No, but that is not what I expect. I do expect a full, wide and fun sound while being refined about it and the Eikon does deliver.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #9,065 of 9,735
It's 2022 thought it was time to try out the Eikon; as I am normally late to a party.

I've had a padauk Atticus in the past and... well it's say it was not the best of experiences I have had. I bought it 2nd handed and the owner before me had quite different shape head (so I assume). The headphone needed some real bending love to even come close to a good fit. The bass was sloppy and fat. Bled to death into the mids and yeah short story.

I think my story with this Cherry OG Eikon will be a lot longer. Bought it again 2nd handed. This time the fit was near perfect out of the box and the sound signature is so much more in line to what I like and hope for in a headphone. Yes the weight is a thing but it's not too heavy (looking at you LCD2CB).

Can it compete with my daily driven Meze Emyrean? No, but that is not what I expect. I do expect a full, wide and fun sound while being refined about it and the Eikon does deliver.
Congrats. I'm finding the Eikon to be a fantastic set of cans also. Try it with the suede Eikon pads. It gets even better!

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #9,066 of 9,735
Congrats. I'm finding the Eikon to be a fantastic set of cans also. Try it with the suede Eikon pads. It gets even better!
And if possible, use an OTL tube amp that works well with high-impedance headphones to drive the Eikons… that makes a BIG difference in my experience. 😊

Like @Dawgfish , I love my Eikons. With the right tubes in a good OTL amp, they can be amazingly airy, and indeed wide. And boy, can they groove into the depths of the lowest bass!

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #9,067 of 9,735
Hi folks, quick question. I’ve been using my Eikon’s for about two months now And really enjoy them, but one of the things I’ve noticed is that I get tons of noise from the cables when they rub against the color of my polo shirt or whatever I’m wearing that day. I use them mostly at work and have to be able to get on a video zoom call when needed, so using a shirt without a collar isn’t really an option. I have nothing against the stock cable, other than the fact that that the fabric covering is causing noise I can clearly hear in the cup.

I had to look back at past posts, but was curious if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonably priced cable that isn’t very noisy. I assume rather than a fabric covering, it really needs to be more of a plastic covering. The ZMF OFC cable looks good, but just curious if there are other options out there. I would like to keep it under $200.

The other challenge is I’m based in Japan, and there aren’t really many cables that terminate in a mini XLR, meaning I probably need to order from a company that ships overseas. Does anyone have a suggestion for something reasonably priced with overseas shipping?

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #9,068 of 9,735
Hi folks, quick question. I’ve been using my Eikon’s for about two months now And really enjoy them, but one of the things I’ve noticed is that I get tons of noise from the cables when they rub against the color of my polo shirt or whatever I’m wearing that day. I use them mostly at work and have to be able to get on a video zoom call when needed, so using a shirt without a collar isn’t really an option. I have nothing against the stock cable, other than the fact that that the fabric covering is causing noise I can clearly hear in the cup.

I had to look back at past posts, but was curious if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonably priced cable that isn’t very noisy. I assume rather than a fabric covering, it really needs to be more of a plastic covering. The ZMF OFC cable looks good, but just curious if there are other options out there. I would like to keep it under $200.

The other challenge is I’m based in Japan, and there aren’t really many cables that terminate in a mini XLR, meaning I probably need to order from a company that ships overseas. Does anyone have a suggestion for something reasonably priced with overseas shipping?
I don’t really recommend the ZMF OFC cable for ergonomics, it’s pretty stiff. If you want a smooth cable from ZMF I’d get the 2C cable. I also really like the Audeze cables

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #9,070 of 9,735

Here are some recs for a couple great cables in that price range -

A killer all copper cable with some of the best ergonomics and noise free listening experiences possible. https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=80 -

And a killer silver/copper hybrid for a bit more but still in your range, and still just as ergonomic and microphonic/noise free. https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=73

Forza's cables are seriously some of the quietest and most ergonomic cables you will find for your suggested budget.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #9,071 of 9,735
Here are some recs for a couple great cables in that price range -

A killer all copper cable with some of the best ergonomics and noise free listening experiences possible. https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=80 -

And a killer silver/copper hybrid for a bit more but still in your range, and still just as ergonomic and microphonic/noise free. https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=73

Forza's cables are seriously some of the quietest and most ergonomic cables you will find for your suggested budget.
Awesome. Thank you very much. I have heard the name but didn’t think to look. These look great.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #9,072 of 9,735
Awesome. Thank you very much. I have heard the name but didn’t think to look. These look great.
I have 3 of Forza's copper cables (Noir HCP MK2) ... they'r terrific in every way, sounding great w/zero microphonics.

Those are a little out of your price range, but the Claire cables are well w/in your range & I've heard nothing but good things about them.

From what I've read, none of the FAW cables are microphonic to any real degree.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #9,073 of 9,735
Here's a picture of my Eikon
20220724_210816.jpg

I think this is Cherry wood, right?

Wondering what's the best way to clean the metal parts here?

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #9,074 of 9,735
Here's a picture of my Eikon

I think this is Cherry wood, right?

Wondering what's the best way to clean the metal parts here?
Those are beautiful! Yes that's Cherry. I have a Cherry Atticus that looks almost identical.

Zach has a YouTube video where he shows how to clean ZMF headphones. I would do a search for it and take it from there.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #9,075 of 9,735
Cherry Atticus:
20220310_150926.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back