ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #8,686 of 9,711
It's impossible to refute that particular argument...
My argument is, that better tubes will make that new music sound even better. Sometimes I wish I would not have spent all that time learning about tubes. . .heck who am I kidding, with what I am hearing now I would not have done any other way. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #8,687 of 9,711
Good things do come in three…Eikon, Atticus, Auteur…politely getting their turn…
Pure awesomeness right there! A flavor for anytime of day or mood. I am still trying to decide which ZMF will complete my trifecta, and I am leaning towards the Auteur. I've been wanting to add an open back to the mix, and have already owned/sold the Aeolus, so the Auteur is most likely going to be the one.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #8,688 of 9,711
Still looking for pad recommendations for the eikon. Does everyone just listen to stock pads?

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #8,689 of 9,711
Still looking for pad recommendations for the eikon. Does everyone just listen to stock pads?
I haven't had an Eikon in a while now, but I enjoyed the stock pads so I wasn't tempted to pad roll myself. Variety is fun I agree, but my take is always to listen to the "stock" configuration 1st. Then I try to figure what (if anything) I want to change about the default tuning and go from there.

I love how Zach tunes his stuff & the stock pads are usually my preference, the only exception thus far has been the Aeolus (I loved the stock pads but preferred the Universe suede). I admit I never gave the Auteur a fair shake, I found them a bit mid-forward for my tastes when I heard them. I bet I could have pad rolled them if I wanted to dial in that sound too.

Good luck!

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #8,690 of 9,711
I haven't had an Eikon in a while now, but I enjoyed the stock pads so I wasn't tempted to pad roll myself. Variety is fun I agree, but my take is always to listen to the "stock" configuration 1st. Then I try to figure what (if anything) I want to change about the default tuning and go from there.

I love how Zach tunes his stuff & the stock pads are usually my preference, the only exception thus far has been the Aeolus (I loved the stock pads but preferred the Universe suede). I admit I never gave the Auteur a fair shake, I found them a bit mid-forward for my tastes when I heard them. I bet I could have pad rolled them if I wanted to dial in that sound too.

Good luck!
I appreciate it. Since the pads are slightly discounted when you order I was hoping to pick out an alternative up front. Especially since I did t like the stock Atticus pad, and preferred the eikon suede.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #8,691 of 9,711
Since the pads are slightly discounted when you order I was hoping to pick out an alternative up front.
Ah, makes good sense to me. The best you can do in that case is check out Zach's ZMF "Pads Sonic guide". Just scroll down to the "Pad Rules" part & check the Eikon drop down to see which 'flavor' you think might suit your fancy. Here's the link...

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #8,692 of 9,711
Ah, makes good sense to me. The best you can do in that case is check out Zach's ZMF "Pads Sonic guide". Just scroll down to the "Pad Rules" part & check the Eikon drop down to see which 'flavor' you think might suit your fancy. Here's the link...

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads
Speaking of the ZMF pad guide, on the main chart it shows (for the Atticus) the Ori being warmer than the Eikon but then when you go to the Atticus page it shows the Eikon being the warmer of the two. I'm sure one of these must be a mistake, so which one is correct?

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #8,693 of 9,711
IMG_5988 (2).jpg

Received my Cocobolo Atticus on the 15th. Wasn't sure about the sound until I realized there were issues with my sound chain. All fixed now.

I can say this: I love both the Atticus and Eikon! The Atticus has less soundstage than the Eikon but the overall sound quality is excellent. Eikon is still #1 for me, but the Atticus has provided me with a headphone that nearly matches the awesomeness that the Eikon has provided me for 3 years. Sometimes I switch mid-song to see what the differences are. So I'll rank Eikon #1a and Atticus #1b.

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #8,694 of 9,711
Speaking of the ZMF pad guide, on the main chart it shows (for the Atticus) the Ori being warmer than the Eikon but then when you go to the Atticus page it shows the Eikon being the warmer of the two. I'm sure one of these must be a mistake, so which one is correct?
That's a good question. I'm not that familiar with the Atty, much less pad rolling for it so I couldn't really answer with any degree of certainty. Maybe @zach915m can chime in, or someone with more Atticus pad rolling experience.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #8,696 of 9,711
IMG_5988 (2).jpg

Received my Cocobolo Atticus on the 15th. Wasn't sure about the sound until I realized there were issues with my sound chain. All fixed now.

I can say this: I love both the Atticus and Eikon! The Atticus has less soundstage than the Eikon but the overall sound quality is excellent. Eikon is still #1 for me, but the Atticus has provided me with a headphone that nearly matches the awesomeness that the Eikon has provided me for 3 years. Sometimes I switch mid-song to see what the differences are. So I'll rank Eikon #1a and Atticus #1b.
Your Atticus looks very brown to me. Or is that just the light? I have Cocobolo Grado's and they are a very rich looking red. Just curious.

Shane D

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #8,697 of 9,711
Your Atticus looks very brown to me. Or is that just the light? I have Cocobolo Grado's and they are a very rich looking red. Just curious.

Shane D
These Cocobolos were stained a dark brown. (I'm the third owner.)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #8,698 of 9,711
I must say that this Eikon looks incredible, it was listed on this years b-stock sale.
1637608505118.png

I much prefer this look over the lighter toned stock Camphor wood.
This is Bocote, which probably ends up on the heavier side, it should be closer to 600 grams.

My hope is that ZMF will release a darker toned Eikon that uses a wood that keeps the weight down.
Stained Camphor perhaps? Or Sapele?

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #8,699 of 9,711
I must say that this Eikon looks incredible, it was listed on this years b-stock sale.
1637608505118.png
This is Bocote, which probably ends up on the heavier side, it should be closer to 600 grams.

My hope is that ZMF will release a darker toned Eikon that uses a wood that keeps the weight down.
I agree with the darker woods as well. I actually grabbed one of the bocote eikon rarities on Sunday.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #8,700 of 9,711

I believe various colors can be requested for a fee when you purchase, not sure if it is still available.
Here is an example of Stained Camphor:

Attachments

• 20191120_133153.jpg
    20191120_133153.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back