ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 6, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #8,671 of 9,741
Got to love all this talk about my all-time favorite headphone! I too am using the leather Ori pads (my favorite ZMF pad) and have never felt a need to change them. Long live the Atticus!

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #8,673 of 9,741
DSC_6726-1.jpg

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #8,676 of 9,741
Anyone have recommendations on pads to request for the eikon when ordering? On the Auteur I prefer the eikon suede and auteur lambskin. On the atticus I preferred eikon suede over lambskin ori pads. Variety is fun!

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #8,677 of 9,741
New second-hand Atticus owner here, and very happy after a full day+ of listening. I'm definitely noticing the amp pickiness, or at least much improved performance on higher power. I was assuming I'd be using this at my desk with Jot2/Bifrost2 combo, so that's fine. They sound quite good out of the mighty little Vali 2+ I've got too. I've a few other amps to try it on, no OTL tube amps on hand, and not sure I want to take that plunge.

This set came with Ori suedes, and I'd like to get another set of pads to try. From reading the last 100 or so pages, seems like Ori lambskins are a good option to get the most flavor out of the cans. Happy to hear other suggestions on pads.

Overall I'm jazzed to have this Atticus as my top tier partner to the Hifiman Arya (v2) I enjoy. They're turning out to be complimentary in a lot of ways, as I had hoped. I much appreciate all the contributions to the thread! Especially pointing out Zach's YouTube videos.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #8,679 of 9,741
The new arrival…making itself at home…
A3D1B710-F78B-4B03-A9CD-0D7FFA070BB1.jpeg

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #8,681 of 9,741
Good things do come in three…Eikon, Atticus, Auteur…politely getting their turn…
6CE5DF8E-3854-4579-A006-B6E3220105F2.jpeg

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #8,682 of 9,741
I have put countless hours into learning how to find the good tubes and what I like, and it's taken me 6 years of doing it pretty much all day everyday (and a good bit of money) to get where I am at now.
An excellent description of the black hole into which I am trying to avoid being inevitably sucked. Six years of full-time equivalent effort dedicated to acquiring a high level of tube expertise is perhaps more leisure time than is remaining in my allocated portion.

Now that I have recently upped my game to include Roon & Qobuz (and a Freya+), I'm rationalizing that I get more ROI on my fun time by discovering and enjoying new music. (e.g., new to me today: Art Pepper, London Grammar, The Selector, Hotknives, and 4 other new-to-me albums by bands I have heard before.)

But thankfully there's lots of room in the hobby for different approaches. Imagine if all 8 billion of us were actively pursuing the holy grail tubes. Every day in TubeTown would be like the 6 hot-flash seconds of ZMF November Madness.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #8,683 of 9,741
Within a short time, I will have achieved one of my ‘headphoning’ goals: the ‘Trizacta’. “What is that?” you may ask. It is Atticus (LTD bocote: a few days), Auteur (limba black: already own), Eikon (camphor: a few weeks). Triple the reasons to have many OTL tube h/p amplifiers…😄🤔
Mission accomplished: 19.NOV.2021 ==> the ‘Zach Slam’?…

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #8,684 of 9,741
Imagine if all 8 billion of us were actively pursuing the holy grail tubes…
Sellers such as bangybang, menifee, and wege_high_tubes would be ‘tubillionaires’; and 😳 GE tubes would be anointed as a last resort 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back