ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 1, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #8,656 of 9,741
I'm torn with this Padauk Eikon...it's beautiful, the bass can be intoxicating (maybe even too much), I love the OG sliders and thick metal gimbals. But I'm not entirely sure I have a need for a closed-back headphone (IEMs still preferred for travel). I also feel guilty that I'm spending all my time with my Auteur/Eikon duo than my "TOTL" Hifiman HE1000se, which technically is the most impressive and has an unbelievable soundstage width. And this is just running the ZMFs off a Valhalla 2 and an older ECP T3 amp, rather than my again "TOTL" EC Studio Jr. I need either someone to convince me to keep it, or send me an irresistible offer to buy it!

EDIT: Okay I powered up the Studio Jr and put on the HE1000se, and I'm reminded why it's still my "end game" setup for the foreseeable future. Incredible texture and detail. Notes and voices seem to float out of nowhere. Still, the ZMF dynamics are so much fun...

DSC03434.jpg

I too have a paduak eikon and love it. It was my first ZMF and I will be most likely keeping it for life lol

Nov 4, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #8,657 of 9,741
Atticus: an unbelievably musical and enjoyable headphone. My initiation has been via Woo WA6 (otc). Next up, Woo WA2 (otl) 🤪.
6DCD4A87-4F64-4523-82BC-B2D4BBA5AD84.jpeg

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #8,659 of 9,741
A monster combination! Just right for disappearing in a vortex of 🎼
F2317693-A6EF-423B-9C3C-5BF3E1758671.jpeg

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #8,660 of 9,741
A monster combination! Just right for disappearing in a vortex of 🎼
Heck yeah man! Those headphones are beautiful (cable not so much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and welcome to the Atty club! They really come to life with tubes and I bet that tube combo is making them sing.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #8,661 of 9,741
Heck yeah man! Those headphones are beautiful (cable not so much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and welcome to the Atty club! They really come to life with tubes and I bet that tube combo is making them sing.
And not just tubes…OTL…the best way to go @ 300 ohms…😄

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #8,662 of 9,741
And not just tubes…OTL…the best way to go @ 300 ohms…😄
SET (100 ohm tap) is pretty special too. . .:wink: SET (mid range magic) + Atticus (mid range magic) = Perfection.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #8,663 of 9,741
You may know this already…. I read that a solid-state h/p/a favoured by Zach at ZMF is the Beyerdynamic A2…which has underneath the casing an output impedance switch: 0 ohms & 100 ohms…

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #8,664 of 9,741
Well, I don't mind if I do welcome myself to the ZMF Atticus club! The Atticus came home today just a few hours ago. Since then, I've been listening to various genres - in particular some Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, a few rap songs. It sounds incredible with everything, of course. It has a real sense of scale to it. Quite literally a concert on your head.

What really struck me though was the dramatic differences in sound between the two pads I chose - the Ori Suede and Ori Lambskin. Wow. The Suede (which came stock) was neutral and somewhat restrained, certainly has its merits and sounded great. Not expecting too much (other than a slightly different fit and feel) I switched to the Ori Lambskin. My first observation is the dramatic improvement in sound leakage. The Atty went from fairly leaky, akin to an open back almost, to nearly dead silent. Maybe this is just a thing with suede, and more porous pads that I've simply have never considered. The sound though - it simply kicks now - the highs have extended, and as such clarity, seems to be better observed. The slam has improved as well. To my ears, overall resolution has improved somewhat, or maybe it's just shifted to a more bouncy sound that exceeds my expectations. The headphone has moved out of HD 650 territory into it's own bionic state. It's amazing! I love this set!

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #8,665 of 9,741
Well, I don't mind if I do welcome myself to the ZMF Atticus club! The Atticus came home today just a few hours ago. Since then, I've been listening to various genres - in particular some Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, a few rap songs. It sounds incredible with everything, of course. It has a real sense of scale to it. Quite literally a concert on your head.

What really struck me though was the dramatic differences in sound between the two pads I chose - the Ori Suede and Ori Lambskin. Wow. The Suede (which came stock) was neutral and somewhat restrained, certainly has its merits and sounded great. Not expecting too much (other than a slightly different fit and feel) I switched to the Ori Lambskin. My first observation is the dramatic improvement in sound leakage. The Atty went from fairly leaky, akin to an open back almost, to nearly dead silent. Maybe this is just a thing with suede, and more porous pads that I've simply have never considered. The sound though - it simply kicks now - the highs have extended, and as such clarity, seems to be better observed. The slam has improved as well. To my ears, overall resolution has improved somewhat, or maybe it's just shifted to a more bouncy sound that exceeds my expectations. The headphone has moved out of HD 650 territory into it's own bionic state. It's amazing! I love this set!
I agree, the lambskin pads have noticeably more dynamic punch. The suede pads are nice and relaxing, but lack the immediacy the Atticus is so renown for. I love how lively and engaging the Atty is on lambskin! Floyd sounds so so good on it. The clocks on Time are so three dimensional and holographic, especially on a spacious tube amp. Welcome to the club!

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #8,666 of 9,741
I agree, the lambskin pads have noticeably more dynamic punch. The suede pads are nice and relaxing, but lack the immediacy the Atticus is so renown for. I love how lively and engaging the Atty is on lambskin! Floyd sounds so so good on it. The clocks on Time are so three dimensional and holographic, especially on a spacious tube amp. Welcome to the club!

Have you tried any other pads on the Atty? I'd be interested in peoples observations on the Eikon, Universe, Auteur and Verite pads on the Atticus - assuming that all of these are swappable. I'm not sure if the dimensions of all the ZMF phones would allow for this.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #8,667 of 9,741
Have you tried any other pads on the Atty? I'd be interested in peoples observations on the Eikon, Universe, Auteur and Verite pads on the Atticus - assuming that all of these are swappable. I'm not sure if the dimensions of all the ZMF phones would allow for this.
Yeah when I had my VC I put the Auteur and Universe lambskins on the Atty to see how it would sound. I also tried the Eikon lambskin on the Atty as well. Not good.... All other pads reduce what the Atticus does best, midrange dynamics. They all muted it a to varying degrees, while introducing odd shifts to the treble. The Atticus IMO was made to be colored and outspoken, and all those pads tried to reign it in. I really love how the Atty/Ori lambskin combo sounds best though, so take that with a grain of salt. Others might disagree.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #8,668 of 9,741
Completely agree regarding Pink Floyd on the Atticus. Have been spending time listening to the new High Res releases and a bit of comparing with the Atticus and even the VC. The Atticus is my clear preference for their music.

As for pads, I can't say anything about the lambskin, but have tried every solid suede pad and solid protein leather. I didn't really enjoy any of them nearly as much as the Ori pads, and unlike my other ZMFs I never swap pads on them.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #8,669 of 9,741
It’s here! I’m incredibly happy, such a lovely sound. I too preferred the lamb skins. I tried messing around with EQ a bit and found that any improvements in FR came at the expense of dynamics so I’m leaving it as is, but I’ve been enjoying the stock FR very much as is. I seem to find the vast majority of popular audiophile headphones (especial Hifiman and Focals) extremely fatiguing but these are somehow both very punchy and engaging but also very smooth. Over all I’m in love. It’s the perfect closed back compliment to my LCD-2F.

Do you all have any tube amp recs? Preferably under $1500 and I’m open to diy kits.

Attachments

• 14E558E0-809D-4F69-A467-CD13BF1A9572.jpeg
    14E558E0-809D-4F69-A467-CD13BF1A9572.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A3BA8B9E-6CAF-4879-BE93-CC3588F85D2B.jpeg
    A3BA8B9E-6CAF-4879-BE93-CC3588F85D2B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #8,670 of 9,741
It’s here! I’m incredibly happy, such a lovely sound. I too preferred the lamb skins. I tried messing around with EQ a bit and found that any improvements in FR came at the expense of dynamics so I’m leaving it as is, but I’ve been enjoying the stock FR very much as is. I seem to find the vast majority of popular audiophile headphones (especial Hifiman and Focals) extremely fatiguing but these are somehow both very punchy and engaging but also very smooth. Over all I’m in love. It’s the perfect closed back compliment to my LCD-2F.

Do you all have any tube amp recs? Preferably under $1500 and I’m open to diy kits.
For the Atticus, and under $1500, I wholeheartedly recommend the otl Woo Audio WA2! (I use it for Auteur, Atticus, Eikon [soon], and other high-impedance headphones.) Tube “rolling” will be extra $ / € / £ / ¥…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back