ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #8,371 of 9,711
Your comparison of the Teaks in the treble region now has me a little concerned about the treble with the Atticus Lol. I thought that the treble was the best part about the Teaks - Smooth. Overall, I didn't find the Teaks dynamic enough, and the bass came across a bit soft. The mids weren't really recessed, but they weren't forward either. All together, the Atticus is starting to sound like it very well could be the one. I'm happy to hear that it has better resolution than the NightOwl and isn't as dark. You nailed it when you referred to the Atticus as pleasing and engaging - that's a top priority.
You might like an Audeze LCD3 then. It is roughly as dynamic as the Atticus with a more extended treble but with a still dark character. Bass is phenomenal too and you can EQ them to your hearts content.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #8,372 of 9,711
I just went on a tour of different headphones including Empy, LCD XC, LCD 2 classic, LCD 3.... LCD XC actually impressed me the most but coming home to Atticus was actually really refreshing. That is crushing bass and overall awesome richness and they are HUGELY MORE comfy than all the audeze headphones.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #8,374 of 9,711
Eikon drive-able from a Sony 507 or is an amp needed?
IDK the specs offhand for the Sony in question, but I've found that most ZMFs are driveable from most portable sources. I haven't had an Eikon in a while, but they sounded decent from my old Shanling & Fiio DAPs. They obviously sound better from dedicated more powerful amps, but they were perfectly listenable and enjoyable from portable sources (though you might have to max out the volume depending on power). My take is as a placeholder until you get a dedicated amp, it's fine but saving for an amp (even a cheap Schiit Fulla, Magni, Vali or whatever other brand) with the DAP as a source would likely be a marked improvement.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #8,375 of 9,711
IDK the specs offhand for the Sony in question, but I've found that most ZMFs are driveable from most portable sources. I haven't had an Eikon in a while, but they sounded decent from my old Shanling & Fiio DAPs. The obviously sound better from dedicated more powerful amps, but they were perfectly listenable and enjoyable from portable sources (though you might have to max out the volume depending on power). My take is as a placeholder until you get a dedicated amp, it;s fine but saving for an amp (even a cheap Schiit Fulla, Magni, Vali or whatever other brand) with the DAP as a source would likely be a marked improvement.

Good luck!
Great thanks. I am likely picking an Eikon tonight locally, so bringing my Sony to test it before I buy. Thanks for your input!

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #8,377 of 9,711
I am trying to find a planar with a detailed exciting but not clinical sound. But then I listen to Atticus and i hear the power, impact, incredible bass richness, smooth lush forward mid range. Yet it still sounds fairly detailed.. it doesnt really sound 'smeared' it just sounds exciting, powerful and romantic. Then I think.... do I really need a new headphone/planar?

I heard empyrean twice now on different chains (but not on my home chain which is much better) and it never impressed me the way Atticus does. But empy people tell me how crap Atticus is and empyrean is a 'good' version of the Atticus sound.

More clarity and sub bass extension would be what I would want but I don't think any headphone in the world will do what Atticus does while also giving me those.

Audiophiles rage so hard when I tell them in terms of total bass quantity and impact/dynamic slam, Atticus blows Abyss 1266 tc out of the water (I directly compared on the same powerful chain). They really get mad. Atticus = win.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #8,378 of 9,711
Day 2 with the Eikon and i struggle to find a fault. bass is boomy but not as much as a Fostex 900 mk2 or Lawtonized Fostex.... which I actually prefer. The fit, comfort, and total craftmanship is an improvement to me as well (headband specifically). i will say the Urushi Japanese cups of the TH900 mk1/2 are the best looking i have ever seen. but sound, definitely prefer the Eikon.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #8,379 of 9,711
What is the consensus on favorite woods? I’m a fan of padauk woods color but the cocobolo is beautiful as well. Curious what other beautiful woods Atticus and Eikon are favored.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #8,380 of 9,711
What is the consensus on favorite woods? I’m a fan of padauk woods color but the cocobolo is beautiful as well. Curious what other beautiful woods Atticus and Eikon are favored.
I always favored the classic cherry wood that was the stock wood for Atticus back when it was new.

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #8,381 of 9,711
I am trying to find a planar with a detailed exciting but not clinical sound. But then I listen to Atticus and i hear the power, impact, incredible bass richness, smooth lush forward mid range. Yet it still sounds fairly detailed.. it doesnt really sound 'smeared' it just sounds exciting, powerful and romantic. Then I think.... do I really need a new headphone/planar?

I heard empyrean twice now on different chains (but not on my home chain which is much better) and it never impressed me the way Atticus does. But empy people tell me how crap Atticus is and empyrean is a 'good' version of the Atticus sound.

More clarity and sub bass extension would be what I would want but I don't think any headphone in the world will do what Atticus does while also giving me those.

Audiophiles rage so hard when I tell them in terms of total bass quantity and impact/dynamic slam, Atticus blows Abyss 1266 tc out of the water (I directly compared on the same powerful chain). They really get mad. Atticus = win.
To me it sounds like you should try an Audeze LCD3 or 4. I’ve never heard Empyrean, so I can’t make that comparison, but the Audeze house sound is more on the warmer and richer side. The 3 is more tilted to bass and mids, while the 4 is more neutral and detailed, with better (maybe the best!) sub-bass.

BUT! I wouldn’t expect anything to sound like a “better” Atticus. The Atticus is quite unique. I haven’t heard anything that sounds as full and meaty while still sounding natural. It’s rare that a headphone maker at the price point of the Atticus would go so whole hog on making a headphone that is so un-neutral, but I’m glad they did!

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #8,382 of 9,711
To me it sounds like you should try an Audeze LCD3 or 4. I’ve never heard Empyrean, so I can’t make that comparison, but the Audeze house sound is more on the warmer and richer side. The 3 is more tilted to bass and mids, while the 4 is more neutral and detailed, with better (maybe the best!) sub-bass.

BUT! I wouldn’t expect anything to sound like a “better” Atticus. The Atticus is quite unique. I haven’t heard anything that sounds as full and meaty while still sounding natural. It’s rare that a headphone maker at the price point of the Atticus would go so whole hog on making a headphone that is so un-neutral, but I’m glad they did!

I heard LCD3 and XC and 2 classic. Of the 3 I liked XC the best but the comfort on all 3 sucked bad. ZMF is way better in that regard.

I think im cool with keeping atticus my warm/fun headphone.
I think i need a replacement for hd800S that has even better clarity, openness but has proper bass extension. I leaning towards He1000se or susvara.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #8,383 of 9,711
Personally, I really like the woods with contrasting grain. That Bocote is really nice, as is Maple Ambrosia. I have a Sapele Aeolus and that wood is really nicer than I expected. Pics do not do it justice how it shines in the light. That being said, Cocobolo is far and ahead my favorite, So I'm trying to hold out for the perfect LTD Eikon. The marblewood just didn't quite draw me in enough.

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #8,384 of 9,711

I owned an Empyrean, as well as other good planars (pre-fazor LCD-2.1 & LCD-3; HEX v2; Kennerton Odin "Thridi"). Sold them all. The only planar I own at this moment is the legendary ZMF Ori, which IMO is spectacular in what it set out to do (be the best-sounding & best-"voiced" T50RP mod).

I can't afford an Abyss, and couldn't tolerate the fit/feel of one even if I could (I've heard them--amazing sound + amazing discomfort).

The only planar I've heard at any length that might match your description is the original Final D8000, which I hope to own some day. The frame & fit are on the idiosyncratic side -- not exactly uncomfortable, just ungainly & large -- but it's planar sound done right.

(just my 2 cents)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #8,385 of 9,711
I know it sounds crazy but sometimes Atticus tricks me into thinking its actually more detailed than my HD800S. Both have ted allen silver cable. The Atticus's reverb (reverb built into the track not due to the cup) and trailing ends of notes just seems more palpable, obvious, textured. The 800S has the upper hand with openess of the treble, extension and clarity but the Atticus wins with the impactful real sounding low end (esp with drums), creamy mid range, and powerful dynamics.

Again.. I ask. Do I need a TOTL planar? Atticus is just too good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back