ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 1, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #8,341 of 9,741
Interesting as I definitely get more clarity with my VC no matter what, and the magic I am talking about with the Atticus/Pendant combo is about grip, punch and control, as well as separation. Also, I can make the Atticus very wooly with the Pendant depending on tubes used or I can make them sound very open and linear, as I have quite a collection of different sounding tubes. However, if I want the ultimate clarity and openess, I throw both headphones on my RH-5.

Does the rh5 have a more SS sound ?

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #8,342 of 9,741
Does the rh5 have a more SS sound ?
Yes, it does. Rogue is known for their tube amps to sound more SS like than tubey. Don't get me wrong you still get some tube magic with the stage presentation, but the speed and impact I believe come from the MOSFET's.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #8,345 of 9,741
God, I wish the Pendant was more affordable. With shipping and taxes, it'd end up costing me nearly three thousand euros, which is an absurd price for an amp.

me too, i've looked at it a bunch but having a ta-20 and darkvoice already along with four pairs of zmf cans i just couldn't do it.

maybe next year!!!

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #8,346 of 9,741
Ohhhh man... Atticus, Seth troxler - Molar one. DAT BASS. Its too good.

Is Atticus the only headphone in the world that brings the bass, has sick mid range doesn't stab you in the face with ice pick treble? I can actually crank house / techno and not wince!

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #8,348 of 9,741
Ohhhh man... Atticus, Seth troxler - Molar one. DAT BASS. Its too good.

Is Atticus the only headphone in the world that brings the bass, has sick mid range doesn't stab you in the face with ice pick treble? I can actually crank house / techno and not wince!
The Atticus is the first that comes to mind, however my VC does the same, but in a slightly different way.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #8,349 of 9,741
The Atticus is the first that comes to mind, however my VC does the same, but in a slightly different way.
Guessing more detail but less bass quantity?

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #8,350 of 9,741
I listened to a Stax SR-009 setup last weekend, and although it sounded extremely detailed and the soundstage/imaging was incredible... I lacked a little warmth in the mids and low end. The electrostat sound is very particular, what it does well it does better than anything i've heard so far.. It's sound reproduction is exacting and engaging, but it didn't give the natural feeling, like on acoustic guitar for example, that the Eikon provides. That may have been about the only thing the Eikon did better, but it's what we all love about the Eikon.
Anyways, It did get me thinking about the Auteur again. I had pretty much ruled it out because I just have this feeling that the extra flavor of the Eikon is something I want to hold on to. However, I do like technical performance (VC/VO is out of budget currently), so maybe the more neutral of the the two actually is up my alley? Plus the Auteur is just prettier.
So in the name of neutrality I borrowed a pair of perf. universe suede pads from the Aeolus, threw them on my Eikon... YUK! Waaay too bright! Now I know perf. pads belong on open backs, but I thought I would give it a try. The Eikon really lost a few DB of everything below the treble, it wasn't harsh but just... not a ZMF sound I enjoy. I'll stick to my comfy suede Eikon pads.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #8,351 of 9,741
Guessing more detail but less bass quantity?
More sub bass focused and more detail. Definitely not less bass, just different. I use different tube combo's and get killer results with both.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #8,352 of 9,741
I listened to a Stax SR-009 setup last weekend, and although it sounded extremely detailed and the soundstage/imaging was incredible... I lacked a little warmth in the mids and low end. The electrostat sound is very particular, what it does well it does better than anything i've heard so far.. It's sound reproduction is exacting and engaging, but it didn't give the natural feeling, like on acoustic guitar for example, that the Eikon provides. That may have been about the only thing the Eikon did better, but it's what we all love about the Eikon.
Anyways, It did get me thinking about the Auteur again. I had pretty much ruled it out because I just have this feeling that the extra flavor of the Eikon is something I want to hold on to. However, I do like technical performance (VC/VO is out of budget currently), so maybe the more neutral of the the two actually is up my alley? Plus the Auteur is just prettier.
So in the name of neutrality I borrowed a pair of perf. universe suede pads from the Aeolus, threw them on my Eikon... YUK! Waaay too bright! Now I know perf. pads belong on open backs, but I thought I would give it a try. The Eikon really lost a few DB of everything below the treble, it wasn't harsh but just... not a ZMF sound I enjoy. I'll stick to my comfy suede Eikon pads.

I've heard various electrostatic HPs at shows (including the 009), and never "warmed up" to that sound (pun on purpose). Much like large electrostatic speakers, electrostat HPs deliver brilliant transient performance & detail/nuance. Often the sound is crystalline & pristine, which can be good for sonic intelligibility, but not necessarily good for the organic, flowing, musical "meat on the bones" quality one gets from music IRL and certain headphones (including pretty much all the ZMF dynamics) voiced to convey that.

Electrostatic speakers, like all speakers, sound at least in part like the room they live in. This means some electrostats that're carefully placed in sonically beneficial room environments will sound downright amazing. But with electrostatic headphones, there is no "room effect," and you can't even "roll" amps to get different flavors of source sound. So it all comes down that inherent electrostatic sound. Some absolutely adore that sound, but it's not for me.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #8,353 of 9,741
I've heard various electrostatic HPs at shows (including the 009), and never "warmed up" to that sound (pun on purpose). Much like large electrostatic speakers, electrostat HPs deliver brilliant transient performance & detail/nuance. Often the sound is crystalline & pristine, which can be good for sonic intelligibility, but not necessarily good for the organic, flowing, musical "meat on the bones" quality one gets from music IRL and certain headphones (including pretty much all the ZMF dynamics) voiced to convey that.

Electrostatic speakers, like all speakers, sound at least in part like the room they live in. This means some electrostats that're carefully placed in sonically beneficial room environments will sound downright amazing. But with electrostatic headphones, there is no "room effect," and you can't even "roll" amps to get different flavors of source sound. So it all comes down that inherent electrostatic sound. Some absolutely adore that sound, but it's not for me.

Do you like Atticus more than TOTL planars? TC, lcd4, sus etc?

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #8,354 of 9,741
Do you like Atticus more than TOTL planars? TC, lcd4, sus etc?

I'm sorry to say that I had a cocobolo Atticus but ended up selling it because it didn't get along with any of the amps I had at the time. I heard the Atticus multiple times at shows but due to noisy show conditions, never really managed to hear that great Atticus sound that so many people talk about. Pretty weird, considering that the same-driver open back, the Aeolus, is one of the best headphones I've ever heard--and sounds terrific on every amp I've tried it on.

I own/owned 3 other ZMF dynamics (Eikon, Aeolus, Verite Open). I've also owned a number of planars (pre-fazor LCD-2.1; pre-fazor LCD-3; Meze Empyrean; HEX v2; and Kennerton Odin "Thridi"), of which only the Empyrean and Odin can be called TOTL. Of course I compared these planars to the ZMF dynamics at one time or other IMS. Still, I don't find planars & dynamics to be all that comparable; IMO planars sound qualitatively different from dynamics in certain ways, such that some of the differences I heard in these comparisons were at least partly driver differences.

Never managed to hear an LCD-4, but sure would like to. Did hear a few big-time planars at shows (ie, a couple of Abyss models, Final D8000). The original D8000 was the best planar I've yet heard, despite the somewhat wonky frame & fit. That sound impressed me greatly.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #8,355 of 9,741
I'm sorry to say that I had a cocobolo Atticus but ended up selling it because it didn't get along with any of the amps I had at the time. I heard the Atticus multiple times at shows but due to noisy show conditions, never really managed to hear that great Atticus sound that so many people talk about. Pretty weird, considering that the same-driver open back, the Aeolus, is one of the best headphones I've ever heard--and sounds terrific on every amp I've tried it on.

I own/owned 3 other ZMF dynamics (Eikon, Aeolus, Verite Open). I've also owned a number of planars (pre-fazor LCD-2.1; pre-fazor LCD-3; Meze Empyrean; HEX v2; and Kennerton Odin "Thridi"), of which only the Empyrean and Odin can be called TOTL. Of course I compared these planars to the ZMF dynamics at one time or other IMS. Still, I don't find planars & dynamics to be all that comparable; IMO planars sound qualitatively different from dynamics in certain ways, such that some of the differences I heard in these comparisons were at least partly driver differences.

Never managed to hear an LCD-4, but sure would like to. Did hear a few big-time planars at shows (ie, a couple of Abyss models, Final D8000). The original D8000 was the best planar I've yet heard, despite the somewhat wonky frame & fit. That sound impressed me greatly.
If you get a chance listen to Solitaire P, I am really curious about your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back