ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 30, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #8,401 of 9,741
I need a TOTL planar--despite having & loving the sound of the Aeolus & Verite Open.

The problem is which TOTL planar. I've really lost my way in this planar-quest.
Sus?

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #8,402 of 9,741
How much y'all think Atticus retains that punch, impact, meatiness/thickness and fun factor with the various suede pads? I've been very happy with my Aeolus for some months now and been thinking about getting an end-game closed-back hp too (for when I need some isolation, like RIGHT NOW lol) and as much as I try to read around, I keep coming back to the Atticus.

But the thing is, the leather pads that came with the Aeolus at least are way too stiff for me, and very uncomfortable. The (universe) suede pads are the complete opposite and turn the cans into wearable pillow hug heaven, but if the suede pads mellow the Atticus out too much, I'm not sure if that'll work for me. I want meat! PUNCH! THICC SOUND!

Oh, and by the way, how's the vocal presentation on the Atticus? As much as I love the Aeolus, the one thing I wish it had was just slightly more forward and full-bodied vocals. I feel like the HD58Xs I had before put the vocals right inside my head and I found that to be extremely pleasant. I like "intimate" sound stages in general.

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #8,403 of 9,741
I want meat! PUNCH! THICC SOUND!
I can't reply to how this applies to the Atticus (I'm pretty sure you'll get some answers) but I did want to chime in and say if you come across a used Ori, jump on it. That's a closed back with extreme punch and a thicc sound. I'm borrowing @Pharmaboy 's Ori ATM, and the bass kick is off the charts good IMO. Probably not easy to come by these days, but DEFINITELY worth checking out if you get the chance IMO.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,405 of 9,741
Probably not, for 2 reasons:
  1. It costs silly money, more than I'm comfortable with
  2. And apart from the HEX v2, I've never heard any Hifiman whose tonality I really liked. The TOTL or near-TOTLs I've heard are too bright for me.
The Susvara is by all accounts a very accomplished HP design. But it's likely a little too much treble for me.

This trend of highly articulate/resolving high-end planars is relatively recent. The 1st I knew of is Hifiman's 1000/se. Pretty much all the high-end Kennerton planars have gone in that direction, too. It's really not for me, though.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #8,406 of 9,741
Eikon owners - what is your sound impressions of the Eikon Suede vs Lambskin pads?

Suede pads tilt the sound ever so slightly more towards neutral. I believes they give the treble a little more energy, but also smooth the treble out a bit. You do lose a bit of bass energy but it’s not an extreme difference. The bass is still very nice and defined well.
I think the comfort is worth more then the slight changes in sound, but I really like how the suede pads feel.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #8,407 of 9,741
  2. And apart from the HEX v2, I've never heard any Hifiman whose tonality I really liked. The TOTL or near-TOTLs I've heard are too bright for me.
The Susvara is by all accounts a very accomplished HP design. But it's likely a little too much treble for me.

This trend of highly articulate/resolving high-end planars is relatively recent. The 1st I knew of is Hifiman's 1000/se. Pretty much all the high-end Kennerton planars have gone in that direction, too. It's really not for me, though.
he1000v2?

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #8,408 of 9,741
How much y'all think Atticus retains that punch, impact, meatiness/thickness and fun factor with the various suede pads? I've been very happy with my Aeolus for some months now and been thinking about getting an end-game closed-back hp too (for when I need some isolation, like RIGHT NOW lol) and as much as I try to read around, I keep coming back to the Atticus.

But the thing is, the leather pads that came with the Aeolus at least are way too stiff for me, and very uncomfortable. The (universe) suede pads are the complete opposite and turn the cans into wearable pillow hug heaven, but if the suede pads mellow the Atticus out too much, I'm not sure if that'll work for me. I want meat! PUNCH! THICC SOUND!

Oh, and by the way, how's the vocal presentation on the Atticus? As much as I love the Aeolus, the one thing I wish it had was just slightly more forward and full-bodied vocals. I feel like the HD58Xs I had before put the vocals right inside my head and I found that to be extremely pleasant. I like "intimate" sound stages in general.
Using ori suedes and they are incredibly powerful sound and very rich.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #8,409 of 9,741

Maybe LCD-4 with a bit EQ or maybe the Rosson?

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #8,410 of 9,741
Maybe LCD-4 with a bit EQ or maybe the Rosson?

I tried the Rosson at CanJam 2019. I'd heard and read very positive things about that one, but it became immediately apparent it won't work w/my big head. No way. It was less comfortable than HD650/600 (a low bar).

I've read a lot about the LCD-4 and have mixed feelings. Part of the frequency range (mids on down) are described as being pretty wonderful, but the treble is described as problematic (all 2nd/3rd/4th-hand info...sorry if it conflicts or offends). Between that, the high price and the infamous discomfort of LCDs (I've had 2 of them & know this well), I didn't really want to chase it.

As for EQ, I've never gone down that road. No real interest, plus it would mean another box in a very crowded desktop.

Regardless, I appreciate your suggestions. They are definitely HPs worth consideration.

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #8,411 of 9,741
he1000v2?

Another good suggestion, but not ideal for me. I tried the 1st version and had one of the worst (brief) HP experiences ever. That one was way too bright.

Maybe this is all in my head, but I've heard planars (including my own terrific ZMF Ori) that do specifically planar things involving meat-on-the-bones, sturdy mids & rich bass that can flatten my ears. It's a sound I can't get from any dynamic. Anyway, when I heard the 1st HFM 1K, it was so top-down, spot-lighted, emphasized in the upper mids & treble, that very little of the usual planar richness came through...resolution at the cost of musical truth IMO.

Besides my own disinclination to own bright headphones, this struck me as a fundamental missed opportunity...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #8,412 of 9,741
I tried the Rosson at CanJam 2019. I'd heard and read very positive things about that one, but it became immediately apparent it won't work w/my big head. No way. It was less comfortable than HD650/600 (a low bar).

I've read a lot about the LCD-4 and have mixed feelings. Part of the frequency range (mids on down) are described as being pretty wonderful, but the treble is described as problematic (all 2nd/3rd/4th-hand info...sorry if it conflicts or offends). Between that, the high price and the infamous discomfort of LCDs (I've had 2 of them & know this well), I didn't really want to chase it.

As for EQ, I've never gone down that road. No real interest, plus it would mean another box in a very crowded desktop.

Regardless, I appreciate your suggestions. They are definitely HPs worth consideration.

Wait your saying HD650 is not comfortable?

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #8,413 of 9,741
Wait your saying HD650 is not comfortable?
A number of people don't find the HD series all that comfortable, myself included. It's not so bad that I can't wear it for 10 minuets, but the clamp in particular does get to me after a while. Everyone (and every head) is obviously different.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #8,414 of 9,741

Totally fair enough. The LCD-4 is a great headphone, but I would definitely recommend buying used at 2000USDish (or less) vs new as the LCD5 seems to be on the horizon at some point. I know that the Audeze Reveal VST/AU might tune the LCD4 more to your liking. Or of course, trying out software EQ vs hardware so there isn't any space taken up on your desk. I don't EQ extensively, but I do use it here and there. It can be (software EQ) and incredibly useful tool for adding a bit bass heft, or maybe taking down a treble peak you really find troublesome. Its free, and non destructive to try out, so I would recommend giving it a go sometime, just for a bit fun if nothing else.

The LCD weight is certainly problematic. Perhaps a LCD4z, but again, might be problematic in terms of fit and sound signature to you. Not sure.

The LCD3 might fit your sound preferences nicely, but again, weight and comfort problems abound.

The only other thing I can think of currently might be a Meze Empyrean if you could get a good used deal. It leans towards the warmer, melodious sound vs brighter neutral detailed modern planar tuning you describe not vibing with (which I completely understand.)

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #8,415 of 9,741
Totally fair enough. The LCD-4 is a great headphone, but I would definitely recommend buying used at 2000USDish (or less) vs new as the LCD5 seems to be on the horizon at some point. I know that the Audeze Reveal VST/AU might tune the LCD4 more to your liking. Or of course, trying out software EQ vs hardware so there isn't any space taken up on your desk. I don't EQ extensively, but I do use it here and there. It can be (software EQ) and incredibly useful tool for adding a bit bass heft, or maybe taking down a treble peak you really find troublesome. Its free, and non destructive to try out, so I would recommend giving it a go sometime, just for a bit fun if nothing else.

The LCD weight is certainly problematic. Perhaps a LCD4z, but again, might be problematic in terms of fit and sound signature to you. Not sure.

The LCD3 might fit your sound preferences nicely, but again, weight and comfort problems abound.

The only other thing I can think of currently might be a Meze Empyrean if you could get a good used deal. It leans towards the warmer, melodious sound vs brighter neutral detailed modern planar tuning you describe not vibing with (which I completely understand.)

Empyrean 2 might be the answer. Empy elite or w/e the official name is. I think the market really does need a warm, rich but also detailed planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back