ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #7,637 of 9,748
Mar 4, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #7,638 of 9,748
If anyone has stained ZMFs, please share pics! I've seen metal's purple and the blue and purple Verite Closed and am trying to choose a color for my Atticus custom order. They've all been beautiful and I'm leaning towards purple, but just hoping to see some other stained options. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #7,639 of 9,748
If anyone has stained ZMFs, please share pics! I've seen metal's purple and the blue and purple Verite Closed and am trying to choose a color for my Atticus custom order. They've all been beautiful and I'm leaning towards purple, but just hoping to see some other stained options. Thanks!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-one-of-a-kind-ltd-ash-blue-sold.924288/
20200128_115928.jpg

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #7,640 of 9,748
Also just received my pair of Eikon Blackwood from ZMFNovember,

Really enjoying them so far, and as per the usual, Zach's craftsmanship and woodwork is fantastic. My last pair of closed back headphones were Sennheiser 569's and I really am happy to have a pair of headphones that specializes in bass/sub-bass again.

Also my awful photography skills don't do these headphones justice. There's a reason the wood is called blackwood. It may as well be called black marble.

View attachment IMG_2210.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #7,643 of 9,748

I went through a woodworking phase where I got very interested in water-based dyes. It went nowhere for various reasons, but I concluded several things after seeing many pictures & color samples:
  • The colors I liked most were prussian blue, rich grass/green--and sometimes aquamarine. Green especially pleased me, so long as it was not garish green. The deeper & richer the green hue, the more I liked it.
  • I thought these stains worked best in wood having muted & regular grain structure & not a lot of natural color gradation (ie, hard maple, cherry) -- and with the least contrast possible (ie, between dark & light tones w/in the wood)
  • And those colors popped like crazy with shiny/glossy finishes like lacquer
I'm picturing a green Verite Open with brass hardware...that would rock my world.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #7,644 of 9,748
20191120_133153.jpg
Posted this one last year, this one is orange stain burst.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #7,645 of 9,748
Just got a used pair of Atticus. I have only one set of pads the suede Ori. I like everything about them but the bass is definitely too subdued. My Verite Open with suede pads has more mid and sub bass than the Atticus with these pads. Which pads would retain the spacious sound of the suede Ori pads with added midbass? Will the Hybrid pads do that or the Eikon Suede?

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #7,646 of 9,748
Just got a used pair of Atticus. I have only one set of pads the suede Ori. I like everything about them but the bass is definitely too subdued. My Verite Open with suede pads has more mid and sub bass than the Atticus with these pads. Which pads would retain the spacious sound of the suede Ori pads with added midbass? Will the Hybrid pads do that or the Eikon Suede?

I have found (in my limited samples of course) that the lambskin pads give the Eikon a more energetic sound, with wider sound stage and a slight loss in sub bass. The clarity and openness wrought from them make even these tired old ears perk up with verve. The suede pads give better bass, and a "darker" sig, giving a warmer overall sound. From memory, I believe the Atticus was more energetic (as many have stated) and vibrant than the eikon, but I do not regret purchasing the Eikon at all. An excellent compliment to my LCD-3's they are.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #7,647 of 9,748

Stock, non-suede Atticus pads (which I believe are the same as stock Ori pads) should take care of that bass issue nicely.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #7,648 of 9,748
I have found (in my limited samples of course) that the lambskin pads give the Eikon a more energetic sound, with wider sound stage and a slight loss in sub bass. The clarity and openness wrought from them make even these tired old ears perk up with verve. The suede pads give better bass, and a "darker" sig, giving a warmer overall sound. From memory, I believe the Atticus was more energetic (as many have stated) and vibrant than the eikon, but I do not regret purchasing the Eikon at all. An excellent compliment to my LCD-3's they are.

I have a padauk Eikon -- a powerful, impressive headphone in many ways. I'd be interested in trading a bit of that abundant sub-bass for a darker sound...

Which suede pads are you referring to here? There are so many ZMF pads now; I need the formal name to have a chance of getting the right ones.

(thanks!)

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #7,649 of 9,748
Well the Ori suede pads actually reduce the bass on the Atticus, makes them sound almost bass lite.
Stock, non-suede Atticus pads (which I believe are the same as stock Ori pads) should take care of that bass issue nicely.

Yeah I figured the lambskin pads would do it, but was/am hoping at least the hybrid pads might bring some of that bass back. Love the feel of the suede, just not the bass reduction of the Ori suede pads.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #7,650 of 9,748
I have a padauk Eikon -- a powerful, impressive headphone in many ways. I'd be interested in trading a bit of that abundant sub-bass for a darker sound...

Which suede pads are you referring to here? There are so many ZMF pads now; I need the formal name to have a chance of getting the right ones.

(thanks!)

Both sets of pads are the Eikon variety. Suede are the Vegan Eikon Suede. Lambskin are the Perforated Eikon. While the suede are a bit warmer, I would not call it overly warm. There is still good detail, with better isolation than the lambskin (to me). I think that plays into the darker sound. There is still sufficient detail for my tastes as well. Playing my XDuoo x10tii/iFi Pro iDSD combo the sound is pretty amazing. Bass comes across as strong and quite sufficient to me. Not quite on par with the LCD3 or Cascade (pretty much my points of ref, except from memory) but very good. Using this trio, the sound is less dark than Tidal and my MBP/iFi combo. It is still a good bit warmer than not.

I guess to sum this up, while I really like the open clarity of the perforated lambskin, the suede fits my sound tastes better, and I can deal with that slight loss in clarity due to the slightly added sub bass and slightly darker sound. I can tell the difference, even with my high-end hearing loss, which means some may experience a bigger difference. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back