ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #7,606 of 9,696
Yes I had the lambskin leather version on my Eikon. The full vegan set up is, to me, far and away a better, more luxurious feel. The Ori pads in suede feel like ear pillows. I have no hair on my head so I'm also extra sensitive to the feel of the headband. If you have hair then maybe it's not a big deal but to me the increase in comfort is night-and-day. I have no idea how it will wear over time, but you can always add a new one when it does. I've been wearing and listening to the Atty for the last 3 hours here at the PC and I have ZERO fatigue. I've never been able to go that long without taking an extended break before. (I did have a bathroom break though :))

Bathroom breaks also contribute to comfort (on that I think we can all agree).

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #7,607 of 9,696
20191229_201923-1209x1612.jpg

Got a gently used Atticus today and very happy with its performance so far: warm, a bit dark, smooth sound signature with great resolution/details, lovely mids and slightly faded sub bass/hights. No sibilants at all, which is very important for me.
Was very impressed that they're relatively easy to be driven by ALO CDM from 3.5 single end out with high gain amp mod.
The only "downsides" that I found so far (very subjective of course) is a little lack of sub bass and that the trebbles are sounds not really pleasant and kinda artificial.
In general very happy with this purchase. Hope I'll love it even more with time)

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #7,608 of 9,696
Has anyone experiencing weird treble sounding with Atticus? This is the biggest thing what's bothering me with this headphones so far. I never heard such a weird sound of trebles before, specifically with high-hats, which are sounds very "mushy" and artificial.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #7,609 of 9,696
Has anyone experiencing weird treble sounding with Atticus? This is the biggest thing what's bothering me with this headphones so far. I never heard such a weird sound of trebles before, specifically with high-hats, which are sounds very "mushy" and artificial.
Interesting. . .I would have those checked out by ZMF, because I have never heard anyone describe an Atticus's treble as sounding artificial.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #7,610 of 9,696
Interesting. . .I would have those checked out by ZMF, because I have never heard anyone describe an Atticus's treble as sounding artificial.

I think I found - what was the case. With Atticus and CDM, I decided to switch from DAP and IEM (AK320 + Noble Kaiser 10u) to something not so portable, but with better and more "advanced" sound experience. And well, with Kaisers I got used to extremely clear and detailed trebles, which I always can identify as clear as it possible, when with Atticus this trebles are behind the overall scene and because of that sounds a bit less detailed and pronounced.
I spent last few hours, listening specifically for the trebles and discover that everything is great here and ZMF are sounds very nice and balanced with exact amount of details - what I need.
So, false call)) I'm very pleased with Atticus sound and enjoying a lot of listening it, coupled with ALO CDM - amazing synergy, I must admit!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #7,611 of 9,696
I think I found - what was the case. With Atticus and CDM, I decided to switch from DAP and IEM (AK320 + Noble Kaiser 10u) to something not so portable, but with better and more "advanced" sound experience. And well, with Kaisers I got used to extremely clear and detailed trebles, which I always can identify as clear as it possible, when with Atticus this trebles are behind the overall scene and because of that sounds a bit less detailed and pronounced.
I spent last few hours, listening specifically for the trebles and discover that everything is great here and ZMF are sounds very nice and balanced with exact amount of details - what I need.
So, false call)) I'm very pleased with Atticus sound and enjoying a lot of listening it, coupled with ALO CDM - amazing synergy, I must admit!
As a fairly new owner of the K10U, I totally get where you are coming from now. Just takes some time to adjust, as the K10U is quite detailed in the treble.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #7,612 of 9,696
I found Atticus treble, specifically with Ori Suede pads to be extremely articulated. Does not get harsh or painful, plus the bass is relaxed a bit without losing extension.

It actually out-resolves my Alpha Prime in detail and the Eikon (to a lesser extent).

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #7,613 of 9,696
I found Atticus treble, specifically with Ori Suede pads to be extremely articulated. Does not get harsh or painful, plus the bass is relaxed a bit without losing extension.

It actually out-resolves my Alpha Prime in detail and the Eikon (to a lesser extent).

Totally agree with you, regarding description of the bass and treble of Atticus. However, you know that to give a score for some product - you usually need to compare it with something similar, familiar to you. As I mentioned earlier, for the last several month I was using IEM with sparkling and cristal clear hights and treble, so when I switched to Atticus - the difference makes me to get confused for a short time. I'm actually still getting use to Atticus sound signature, but I love it more and day by day)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #7,614 of 9,696
I have given the hybrid pads I ordered for the Verite Closed a go on the Eikons. At first, I thought it worked. The hybrid pads are very, very comfortable. They do expand the head-stage. I think this is because the speakers are further away from your ears than the Eikon pads. I liked that. The highs are emphasised a bit and unfortunately, they curtailed the sub-bass a bit too much for my tastes. I went to my 'ElectronicBigBass' playlist and it was just not the same. I can see a case for them, but they wouldn't become my main configuration compared to the default Eikon pads. If you are keen to get the effects described, I think it is a valid combo.

All that said, while I love these headphones, having them side-by-side, I am even more impressed with the Verite Closed...

I have switched from the Universe pads to the Auteur pads now on the Eikon and I find them closer to my liking. They are very spacious sounding and they keep more of the bass intact. Bass response is more neutral than with the Eikon pads, but the Auteur pads are not as dry sounding as the Universe pads. I guess the results I hear must be pretty close to what you get with the Hybrid pads.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #7,615 of 9,696
Ok, update on the pad rolling.

I have compared the stock Eikon pads, the Universe pads and the Auteur pads. If the Eikons are your primary headphones then I think it is worth trying the Auteur pads for a change. They make the Eikons more neutral and opens up the sound stage. They get more of a reference tuning with the Auteur pads and I like the results quite a bit.

However, since I have the Verite Closed to compare with I think the Auteur pads make the Eikons lose too much character and pulls back the bass just a bit too much and then they just get trounced by the VC. In my case the stock pads let the Eikons keep more of their unique qualities and make them a better complement to the VC.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #7,616 of 9,696
However, since I have the Verite Closed to compare with I think the Auteur pads make the Eikons loose too much character and pulls back the bass just a bit too much and then they just get trounced by the VC. In my case the stock pads let the Eikons keep more of their unique qualities and make them a better complement to the VC.

This. The Eikon is just so uniquely Eikon, that I prefer not to change it. Sure, it's not perfect, but screw perfection. That's a pipe dream anyway.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #7,617 of 9,696
Ordered an eikon in the standard camphor. I know I will be happy with the headphones regardless but I hope to get some good looking grain given I plan to keep these for a long time. From what I can tell it varies quite a bit with this wood. I had previously owned a padauk eikon and ultimately regretted letting it go. Was thinking about the ziricote but I think I like the potential of how camphor can look more.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #7,618 of 9,696
Ordered an eikon in the standard camphor. I know I will be happy with the headphones regardless but I hope to get some good looking grain given I plan to keep these for a long time. From what I can tell it varies quite a bit with this wood. I had previously owned a padauk eikon and ultimately regretted letting it go. Was thinking about the ziricote but I think I like the potential of how camphor can look more.

Don't worry. Zach doesn't make ugly headphones. Even his b-stock stuff with cracks, fills, and mismatches are handsome, just asymmetrical at worst.

It's hard to do justice to the camphor wood with pictures. When I picked camphor for my Atticus, I was excited by the photos of the grain and wanted lots of the dark streaks. But, after receiving mine, I realized that just as beautiful are the lighter areas where the wood has a dazzling illusion of depth to it that shifts around in the light. Really, those lighter portions that can look plain in pictures are magnificent when in hand and viewed in natural light. I'm sure yours will come out beautifully.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #7,619 of 9,696
Don't worry. Zach doesn't make ugly headphones. Even his b-stock stuff with cracks, fills, and mismatches are handsome, just asymmetrical at worst.

It's hard to do justice to the camphor wood with pictures. When I picked camphor for my Atticus, I was excited by the photos of the grain and wanted lots of the dark streaks. But, after receiving mine, I realized that just as beautiful are the lighter areas where the wood has a dazzling illusion of depth to it that shifts around in the light. Really, those lighter portions that can look plain in pictures are magnificent when in hand and viewed in natural light. I'm sure yours will come out beautifully.

Yeah I am excited either way. The wait is the most difficult part, the anticipation always gets me. But I guess this go around I at least know what I am getting sound wise making it a little less stressful.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #7,620 of 9,696
12ED0D06-5447-43B0-857F-14D9ABFFAADF.jpeg
Yeah I am excited either way. The wait is the most difficult part, the anticipation always gets me. But I guess this go around I at least know what I am getting sound wise making it a little less stressful.

here is a picture of my atticus camphor with “super figure” these are the prettiest thing I own :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back