ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #7,576 of 9,711
For what it's worth (I'm probably in the minority here) -- I prefer the old style ZMF gimbal & rod system w/o detents. I have a large head and my perfect slider adjustments w/the newer system always seems to be somewhere between detents.

Though it must be said that the old-style system was difficult to adjust: to keep the earcups from sliding up or down too easily, ZMF made the sliders pretty tight, such that adjusting them takes some force.

@elvispreasley, unless that store used a time machine to acquire this Atticus, they appear to be blowing smoke about how old the headphone is...

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #7,577 of 9,711
For what it's worth (I'm probably in the minority here) -- I prefer the old style ZMF gimbal & rod system w/o detents. I have a large head and my perfect slider adjustments w/the newer system always seems to be somewhere between detents.
You have a point. I do like the "infinitely adjustable" sliders for dialing in the perfect setting, but for me is a minor nit to pick either way.

Here's a super secret tip for getting the headphones with the dimpled rods adjusted perfectly. (Serious, it's a secret. So don't tell anybody.) Loosen the screws for the leather headstrap just a little, then pull the strap tight or loose just a little bit, then tighten the screws back up for that final 1/2 mm of ZMF comfort perfection. It's a set it and forget it kinda thing after that.

Remember. Secret. Shhh

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #7,578 of 9,711

Though it must be said that the old-style system was difficult to adjust: to keep the earcups from sliding up or down too easily, ZMF made the sliders pretty tight, such that adjusting them takes some force.

@elvispreasley, unless that store used a time machine to acquire this Atticus, they appear to be blowing smoke about how old the headphone is...

I also liked the old rod system- too bad they are not used anymore, would have liked them for Verite

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #7,579 of 9,711
I own (and love) the Eikon. A couple things will immediately show it off:
  • Any bass-heavy, but well-recorded music, especially music w/genuine sub-bass, the really low stuff.
  • And any acoustic music that will show off the rather amazing soundstage--not just amazing for a closed back, but plain old amazing
    • I use large-scale orchestral/classical/choral music for this
Both are qualities the HD660 is less able to convey, or conveys differently (I love the HD650 platform, but it's different from an Eikon).
I'm on an electronic music kick right now so plenty of bass to go around. Listened to a few tracks tonight that I really loved: Trip Like I Do and High Roller, both by The Crystal Method. After a few weeks now I can honestly say that I have no interest in going back to my 660s. I'll probably have to bring those to work to get use out of them. They are so two-dimensional to my ear compared to the Eikons.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #7,580 of 9,711
I'm on an electronic music kick right now so plenty of bass to go around. Listened to a few tracks tonight that I really loved: Trip Like I Do and High Roller, both by The Crystal Method. After a few weeks now I can honestly say that I have no interest in going back to my 660s. I'll probably have to bring those to work to get use out of them. They are so two-dimensional to my ear compared to the Eikons.

Eikon sub-bass is epic for electronic music IMO.

While not strictly Eikon ... here are a few electronic big-bass from my EikonElectronicBigBass playlist [I'll keep to 5!] (hey you provided the excuse!):

(these 2 are a bit rappy, but solid sub-bass demos for your Eikons)

(FWIW - they also sound great on the VC at the moment :))

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #7,581 of 9,711
I'm not huge into Electronica or EDM, but I do listen to a LOT of Tangerine Dream (all eras), hell yeah, the Eikons are the shitz!!!!!!

nb: "shitz" in this context is good.

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #7,582 of 9,711
I'm not huge into Electronica or EDM, but I do listen to a LOT of Tangerine Dream (all eras), hell yeah, the Eikons are the shitz!!!!!!

nb: "shitz" in this context is good.
Edgar Froese, the founder of Tangerine Dream, was an acquaintance of mine. He was a very nice (and talented), down-to-earth person.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #7,583 of 9,711
Much as I admire my Eikon (and yes, the sub-bass is gut-wrenching when it's present in the 0's & 1's)--I have to stick up for the HD650 platform here. Haven't heard the HD660, but assuming it's anything like the HD650, comparing these headphones to the Eikon is an apples/oranges exercise:
  • The Eikon is closed, with that special zing/sonic impact of a closed hardwood earcup, while the HD650 is wide open
  • The Eikon is large & heavy, beautifully constructed. I can actually see the right earcup just at the edge of my vision, which periodically startles me. The HD650 is very compact and light w/s nothing special build quality
  • Sonically, the Eikon is all about drama, dynamics, resolution and epic soundstaging conveyed with a relatively natural voicing. The upper mids can get a bit strident on music that's elevated in that region, though certain amp & DAC combos make this nearly a non-factor. By contrast, the HD650 is an intimate, relaxing listen. There's plenty of resolution here, particularly with the JAR650, an HD650 extensively modded by Jupiter Audio Research. But the soundstaging is close in, constrained, and the overall vibe is resolving but not particularly dramatic
Despite having the Eikon on hand and reliably getting rocked by it, I do go back to my JAR650 now & then, always admiring the high sound quality of this humble platform.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #7,584 of 9,711
I love Tangerine Dream,mostly the stuff that came in the big black box,circa '70-'75. Just brilliant!

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #7,585 of 9,711
Just got my pair of Rusted Zebrawood Atticus from a fellow head-fi'er this morning and my initial impressions are that this set of cans takes the best of what I loved in my EMU Teaks and the LCD2 Rev1's that I own and combines them into a beautiful hybrid child. Excellent punchy bass just like the bio-dynas and a smooth and relaxed mid range just like the LCD's. Lacking a tad in sub-bass but I think that can be remedied with some EQ.

Signal chain: Topping D50 - Cayin HA-1A MK2 (NoS 1950's Mullard 12AU7 inputs with new production Mullard EL84 drivers)

I'm finding that I'm absolutely in love with this sound signature with no EQ for R'n'B and funk. The bass notes are liquid smooth and have just the right amount of punch while the sound never becomes muddy. Tracks that have been so good that I've had to listen to them multiple times in a row so far for me are: Anderson .Paak - Reachin' 2 Much, BADBADNOTGOOD - In Your Eyes, James Blake - Tell Them, Jamie Isaac - Maybe, and Vampire Weekend - Harmony Hall. Moving into the jazz and rock part of my collection now and still can't express how much I love my new babies :L3000:

Anyone have an recommendations on what they love to listen to on their Atticus? This holiday week is going to include a lot of listening time at the desk for me and I love new music recommendations.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #7,586 of 9,711
Just got my pair of Rusted Zebrawood Atticus from a fellow head-fi'er this morning and my initial impressions are that this set of cans takes the best of what I loved in my EMU Teaks and the LCD2 Rev1's that I own and combines them into a beautiful hybrid child. Excellent punchy bass just like the bio-dynas and a smooth and relaxed mid range just like the LCD's. Lacking a tad in sub-bass but I think that can be remedied with some EQ.

Signal chain: Topping D50 - Cayin HA-1A MK2 (NoS 1950's Mullard 12AU7 inputs with new production Mullard EL84 drivers)

I'm finding that I'm absolutely in love with this sound signature with no EQ for R'n'B and funk. The bass notes are liquid smooth and have just the right amount of punch while the sound never becomes muddy. Tracks that have been so good that I've had to listen to them multiple times in a row so far for me are: Anderson .Paak - Reachin' 2 Much, BADBADNOTGOOD - In Your Eyes, James Blake - Tell Them, Jamie Isaac - Maybe, and Vampire Weekend - Harmony Hall. Moving into the jazz and rock part of my collection now and still can't express how much I love my new babies :L3000:

Anyone have an recommendations on what they love to listen to on their Atticus? This holiday week is going to include a lot of listening time at the desk for me and I love new music recommendations.

A rusted zebrawood Atticus would have to be pretty special!

I've been listening a lot to my pal's Aeolus lately. It's the open-back brother of the Atticus, so there's a family resemblance. I find that the following 2 cuts w/Scary Pockets + Larry Goldings on organ really light up the whole bottom range of any headphone I try, especially the Aeolus. It's just youtube audio, not as good as CDs, but still, it rocks my headphones:

"Save It for the First Time"

"We Come in Peace"

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #7,587 of 9,711
Edgar Froese, the founder of Tangerine Dream, was an acquaintance of mine. He was a very nice (and talented), down-to-earth person.
That is awesome to know! I've been a big TD/EF fan for a long time. I was deeply saddened when he passed a few years back. I saw them perform on Cruise to the Edge in 2014. I think it's absolutely wonderful that he had passed the baton to Thorsten to carry on the music.

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #7,588 of 9,711
Pad rolling with the Eikon:

Pad-wise, I have Eikon, Auteur, Universe and Hybrid pads (the latter 3 used with my Verite Closed HPs).

A quick search couldn't find any Eikon pad rolling advice. Anyone had experience rolling pads on the Eikons? Thoughts?

Did you try pad rolling on the Eikons? What did you think?

I just tried the universe pads on the Eikon and I like how they make the tonal balance more neutral. I find the presence region too drawn back with the stock pads. The universe pads definitely brought it up and made voices sound more present.

But I am not done yet. The universe pads sadly make the bass too dry for my liking. So I am going to try the Auteur pads next. If that doesn't work out I think I will have to order the suede Eikon pads.

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #7,589 of 9,711
I find that the following 2 cuts w/Scary Pockets + Larry Goldings on organ really light up the whole bottom range of any headphone I try, especially the Aeolus. It's just youtube audio, not as good as CDs, but still, it rocks my headphones:

Cheers for that, definitely enjoyed that listen on a beautiful and sunny Sunday afternoon down here. The more I listen to my Atticus I'm starting to really appreciate how amazingly well they reproduce instruments, they lack a tiny bit of the slam for electronic bass that the Teak's have but the instrument reproduction is so romantic that I don't really mind the trade off at all.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #7,590 of 9,711
I tend to lock in a certain pair for spell. For the past few weeks, I've firmly attached to my Eikons (perhaps better said, they've been attached to me!). I have to say, they excel at whatever I throw at them. Classical, various types of Jazz, all sorts of Rock (mostly classic), some EDM. They fail at nothing!!!!!

Right now, they are telling me how much they like Paul McCartney! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back