ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #7,546 of 9,709
for me, "b". I purchased used models based on reports and reviews here.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #7,547 of 9,709
Just curious: those of you who have ZMFs, how did you go about deciding on which model(s) to go for and taking the plunge? There are not many dealers, so it seems your options would be a) purchase new from ZMF (possibly multiple pairs) and then decide what to keep within the return period. b) purchase used, knowing that you can resell at the same price. c) audition at a trade show. With a), you're in the catch-22 that the headphones are not broken in yet, and may change for the better over time. With b), maybe you will get a less than optimal example. c) is tough because it's hard to account for constants (upstream components & listening material) and limited listening time.
It's definitely a tough call to make.

I think the best bet is always to demo yourself when possible. Trade shows are problematic, but you do get a feel for the personality of the headphone if not the nuances. Zach usually has a set of already burnt headphones if you will so that may be one less thing to worry about. He'll be honest if they're not broken in too. this is where research is really helpful IMO. Find someone who's impressions of gear you have (6xx etc.) align with your own, then read their impressions of the headphone you're thinking about. It's not 100% (ever) but it might give you some things to listen for. If you decide to purchase (either new or used) there is still the decent resale value inherent in the ZMF line. Good luck!

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #7,548 of 9,709
Just curious: those of you who have ZMFs, how did you go about deciding on which model(s) to go for and taking the plunge? There are not many dealers, so it seems your options would be a) purchase new from ZMF (possibly multiple pairs) and then decide what to keep within the return period. b) purchase used, knowing that you can resell at the same price. c) audition at a trade show. With a), you're in the catch-22 that the headphones are not broken in yet, and may change for the better over time. With b), maybe you will get a less than optimal example. c) is tough because it's hard to account for constants (upstream components & listening material) and limited listening time.
Luckily, ZMF comes to my town once a year. Listening at trade shows can be a mixed bag, but it's better than nothing.

Prior to that, I purchased the Vibro Mk3 blind, and loved it. I sold the Vibro, regret it, and want it back. So, if anyone has a Vibro Mk3 they want to sell...

Anyway, my suggestion is to take inventory of what your sound preferences are, then contact @zach915m to see what he recommends. He is very very good at helping people to make the right selection.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #7,549 of 9,709
Vibro MK3? I was not aware of this one. I have the MK2 and love it. No, you can't have it!!! :)

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #7,550 of 9,709

Bought my 1st ZMF (Ori) blind, based on many positive comments & reviews. It instantly rocked my world & still does. The key was I'd been into audio for yrs & really knew my sonic references...which I recognized (accurately, as it turns out) in descriptions of the Ori.

After that it came down to shows (CanJam NYC), where I met Zach & Bevin & had the opportunity to see/handle & hear all the ZMF designs. Since the Ori, I bought 2 ZMFs: kept 1, sold 1. Now I'm talking to Zach about getting my own Aeolus, which, thanks to loans of my friend @jinxy245's sapele Aeolus, I realize works spectacularly well for my tastes.

FYI, my headphone listening systems are relatively complicated (many moving parts) and the gear changes often. Still, when a given headphone works as well for me as these ZMF designs do, it sounds at least very good with any gear I use.

Now, limited listening time is a real thing. Still, I manage to pretend it's not even there & keep buying/selling headphones!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #7,552 of 9,709
Another option is to just buy one of everything.

Like I did.

I don't regret it.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #7,554 of 9,709
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #7,557 of 9,709
I sort of know in my gut (based on what I've read, and the folks with similar tastes) that I'll like the ZMF sound. It's a matter of which one(s), and some concerns over weight/comfort.

The weight savings of the mag chassis is worth the upgrade. On my auteurs I have not experienced strain, On the Atticus I had for a bit I was surprised how much I actually noticed the weight.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #7,558 of 9,709
I made a couple of trips to Upscale Audio (near Pasadena/Los Angeles) and demoed all the ZMF models using a PS Audio DAC and Feliks Audio tube amps. Decided to go closed-back and narrowed it down to the Eikon and Atticus and picked the Atticus as my final choice. Use it as my desktop heaphone with a Schiit Jotenheim wMultibit DAC which has excellent synergy with the Atticus. I also purchased a Feliks Audio OTL tube amp, but use that with my Meze Empyrian headphones in my listening room.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #7,559 of 9,709
The weight savings of the mag chassis is worth the upgrade. On my auteurs I have not experienced strain, On the Atticus I had for a bit I was surprised how much I actually noticed the weight.

Good to know. I'll opt for that.

I made a couple of trips to Upscale Audio (near Pasadena/Los Angeles) and demoed all the ZMF models using a PS Audio DAC and Feliks Audio tube amps. Decided to go closed-back and narrowed it down to the Eikon and Atticus and picked the Atticus as my final choice. Use it as my desktop heaphone with a Schiit Jotenheim wMultibit DAC which has excellent synergy with the Atticus. I also purchased a Feliks Audio OTL tube amp, but use that with my Meze Empyrian headphones in my listening room.

Excellent. I will actually be down in LA tomorrow night for a concert, but returning Thurs & no time to go. But I'm down there pretty often. Do they generally have the whole range in stock?

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #7,560 of 9,709
Good to know. I'll opt for that.

Excellent. I will actually be down in LA tomorrow night for a concert, but returning Thurs & no time to go. But I'm down there pretty often. Do they generally have the whole range in stock?
They had all the models when I was there the two times. It's one of their main headphone brands so I'm pretty sure they keep them heavily stocked. You can always call before hand and check. I did that when I demoed their Feliks Audio amps. Told them the models I wanted to listen to and when I'd be there and they had them on the floor and warmed up for me when I arrived. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back