ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #7,171 of 9,748
Mine Atticus just arrived! I got them from TSAV on their recent sale. Mine came with both balanced and SE.

Initial impressions are very favorable. The timbre on these is incredible! Acoustic guitar and vocals sound great. These mids are addictive.

I'm listening to The Chain by Fleetwood Mac the guitar and the soundstage / instrument placement during initial section is really impressive. There's an initial guitar off to the left but then a cowbell strike hits out even further off to the left. The bass guitar at 3:04 comes in perfectly in the center with excellent timbre, followed by the electric guitar cleanly separated off the left again.

So far the Jotunheim / Mimby is a great pairing with these. I tried these with an iFI iDSD at CanJam this year and the treble seemed a bit off/veiled. I'm not hearing any of that from the Jotunheim / Mimby.

Very pleased :)
Right on. The Jotunheim-Atticus combo will sound eve better as the Atticus loosen up over time. :)

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #7,172 of 9,748
I am now testing my Atticus (hmmm, "mine" Atticus does sound better!!!) with my older Citypulse DAC/Amp. Right now, just using the amp section, as the battery on my FiiO died, and my cheap (but extremely lovable) Xduoo X3 only has line out. Abbey Road sounds very good so far. Will try this with the DAC section once the FiiO is charged.

Anyone familiar with this DAC/Amp? I bought it on a whim maybe 12 years ago. It's a Chi-Fi thingy that was sold at the time by a Canadian distributor by the name of Obad Imports. The lead guy was Sasha Obad. He seems to have dropped out of sight. Pic attached.

dac.jpg

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #7,174 of 9,748
I can report back in a few days. Initial impressions are the the jotunheim has more slam and impact (my preference), while the Lyr 3 has wider soundstage and similar detail. I think both are excellent pairings it just depends on whether you want more soundstage or slam/impact.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #7,175 of 9,748
has someone tried atticus with lyr3? what do you think about the pairing?
i had a lyr3 with the tung sol tube option, it was my daily driver with the atticus at work for a few months. it wasn't bad, but paired with a modi multibit, i found it slightly blah sounding. it's a very smooth and even sounding amp, but imo lacks dynamics. everything sounded slightly compressed by it. i did try a few dacs to see if it would sound better, but i think that's just the nature of the amp. i found the jotunheim much more lively and dynamic sounding, in comparison. to this day one of my favorite amps for the atticus is a violectric v100. it's neutral sounding and well extended up top, so it gives the atticus some much needed air up top. and it's one of the most dynamic amps i've heard. the lake people family of amps based on the v100 (rs02, rs08, g109) are also excellent with the atticus. a bottlehead crack with speedball is also exceptional with the atticus (and all my zmf's!).

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #7,177 of 9,748
Just received a Feliks Euforia OTL Amp from another Member, very, very early findings include that I’m hearing bass and soundstage that I didn’t know the Vérité can produce. It’s Mrs. Wildcats birthday, so not going to have a lot of head time for a couple days, I’m looking forward to getting to know the Euforia better!

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #7,178 of 9,748
Just received a Feliks Euforia OTL Amp from another Member, very, very early findings include that I’m hearing bass and soundstage that I didn’t know the Vérité can produce. It’s Mrs. Wildcats birthday, so not going to have a lot of head time for a couple days, I’m looking forward to getting to know the Euforia better!
Nice man! I have been reading up on that amp, and it is on my list for a possible endgame, along side the ZMF Pendant, Glenn OTL, and AmpsandSound Mogwai SE. I look forward to reading your impressions.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #7,179 of 9,748

lucky!!!!!!
i was reading that it is brighter than elise, also it's twice the price almost.... trying to convince me that elise is better.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #7,180 of 9,748
I haven’t heard the Elise, and in this case, only a few songs, but I’m not hearing as bright at all. Though, I’m definitely in the “new toy” phase, so time will tell.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #7,181 of 9,748
ok thx guys. i think i will stick with some otl options like a feliks elise
I demoed the Atticus with the both the Feliks Elise and less expensive Feliks Echo. In the end I went with the Echo because I thought the Elise sounded too tame and polite. It probably depends on what type of music you listen to when deciding between the Elise (acoustic, classical, etc.) and Echo (rock). That said ... the Elise also sounded great, is very clean and is probably more flexible with more musical genres.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #7,182 of 9,748
I demoed the Atticus with the both the Feliks Elise and less expensive Feliks Echo. In the end I went with the Echo because I thought the Elise sounded too tame and polite. It probably depends on what type of music you listen to when deciding between the Elise (acoustic, classical, etc.) and Echo (rock). That said ... the Elise also sounded great, is very clean and is probably more flexible with more musical genres.

i had the espressivo mk2 and i loved it.
now you are confusing me..
also, do you drive your meze with echo too? how do they sound?

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #7,183 of 9,748
i had the espressivo mk2 and i loved it.
now you are confusing me..
also, do you drive your meze with echo too? how do they sound?
Yes, I drive my Meze Empyreans with the Echo. I have the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Echo and spent a week going back and forth and decided that the Echo had an edge over the Mjolnir. The Mojlnir is a bit more detailed and more "holographic" whereas the Echo is very organic, lush and easier to listen to for long periods. That said .. both amps works well the Meze ... and my guess is that the Meze is very flexible and works well with many good amps.

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #7,184 of 9,748
Mine Atticus just arrived! I got them from TSAV on their recent sale. Mine came with both balanced and SE.

Initial impressions are very favorable. The timbre on these is incredible! Acoustic guitar and vocals sound great. These mids are addictive.

I'm listening to The Chain by Fleetwood Mac the guitar and the soundstage / instrument placement during initial section is really impressive. There's an initial guitar off to the left but then a cowbell strike hits out even further off to the left. The bass guitar at 3:04 comes in perfectly in the center with excellent timbre, followed by the electric guitar cleanly separated off the left again.

So far the Jotunheim / Mimby is a great pairing with these. I tried these with an iFI iDSD at CanJam this year and the treble seemed a bit off/veiled. I'm not hearing any of that from the Jotunheim / Mimby.

Very pleased :)

You can't say your headphones arrived and not provide pictures... c'mon now

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #7,185 of 9,748

Congrats on picking up a Euforia! Hope you're following the thread. What tubes did they come with if you don't mind me asking? It's amazing what the amp can do especially once you start tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back