ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 3, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #7,141 of 9,716
Shout out to Zach! Received my Camphor Atticus today! What a great addition to my gear! Best build quality of all my cans and extremely comfortable, barely feel them on my head! All around great experience with purchase and look forward to years of enjoyment:)

That's the best example of stock Camphor wood I've seen. Congrats on the purchase!

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #7,142 of 9,716
D29946F2-4960-4E86-8A42-2A628B490DA6.jpeg
Life is good. Detailed impressions to follow.

TLDR: Blown away but how high the Atty can scale.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #7,143 of 9,716
Life is good. Detailed impressions to follow.

TLDR: Blown away but how high the Atty can scale.
What speaker is the Atty sitting on there?

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #7,145 of 9,716
Jul 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #7,146 of 9,716
IMG_0327.jpeg
Atticus x Eddie Current Zana Deux Transformer Jr. Impressions:

The first song I started with was "Watching the River Go By," by John Hartford. This is an impeccably recorded bluegrass/old time tune that has a tremendous amount of space in the recording that really lets you hear the acoustic instruments. And omg as there so much to hear! I've never heard a violin reproduced with such accuracy and richness—the only way to describe it is that it felt like I was the one playing the fiddle. John's voice sounded so thick and full, so much better than listening through solid state amps (Mojo + Liquid Spark both tested extensively). All the instruments just sounded so much more alive, so much more organic, so much closer to how they sound when you are standing next to them on stage. It must have something to do with harmonics and transients and all that fancy stuff we audiophiles love to talk about but can never quite qualify. Outstanding.

Then I decided to switch it up and put on "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins. I had heard the the ZDTj is bass light—what??? I've never heard the Atticus reproduce such rich and textured bass. When the bass guitar kicked in on the song, I literally stood up and started dancing. And that was another major point in my findings: Atticus + ZDTj produces some of the most layered and sumptuous bass I've ever heard. It was so easy to tell the difference between Flea's Music Man and Paul McCartney's Hofner or Jimmy Jazz Prescott's double bass. Honestly, the bass was so good, I found it distracting, because I couldn't stop focusing on it. From rap to rock to jazz to bluegrass, I can't imagine a better bass.

Mids and treble? Perfect. Vocals sounded live. There. In the room. Mandolins sounded thick and chunky while retaining their brilliance. Honestly, when I first listened to the Atty, I loved it, but I found it a tad congested. Those days are over. The ZDTj injects so much air into the midrange and treble, it creates wonderful separation. Holographic imaging. Z-axis depth. Whatever you want to call it, that magic element that sets TOTL cans apart really became apparent when I listened to the Atticus with tubes. I see why Zach always demoes his creations with tube amp technology.

What else can I say? I feel I've reached my endgame for now. Sure, there is always more—more detail, more clarity, more immersion. But this is enough. It is enough that I can finally say I understand what @Wes S keeps talking about when he says "just one more song" turns into 2 hours. This combination is addictive.

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #7,147 of 9,716
Atticus x Eddie Current Zana Deux Transformer Jr. Impressions:

The first song I started with was "Watching the River Go By," by John Hartford. This is an impeccably recorded bluegrass/old time tune that has a tremendous amount of space in the recording that really lets you hear the acoustic instruments. And omg as there so much to hear! I've never heard a violin reproduced with such accuracy and richness—the only way to describe it is that it felt like I was the one playing the fiddle. John's voice sounded so thick and full, so much better than listening through solid state amps (Mojo + Liquid Spark both tested extensively). All the instruments just sounded so much more alive, so much more organic, so much closer to how they sound when you are standing next to them on stage. It must have something to do with harmonics and transients and all that fancy stuff we audiophiles love to talk about but can never quite qualify. Outstanding.

Then I decided to switch it up and put on "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins. I had heard the the ZDTj is bass light—what??? I've never heard the Atticus reproduce such rich and textured bass. When the bass guitar kicked in on the song, I literally stood up and started dancing. And that was another major point in my findings: Atticus + ZDTj produces some of the most layered and sumptuous bass I've ever heard. It was so easy to tell the difference between Flea's Music Man and Paul McCartney's Hofner or Jimmy Jazz Prescott's double bass. Honestly, the bass was so good, I found it distracting, because I couldn't stop focusing on it. From rap to rock to jazz to bluegrass, I can't imagine a better bass.

Mids and treble? Perfect. Vocals sounded live. There. In the room. Mandolins sounded thick and chunky while retaining their brilliance. Honestly, when I first listened to the Atty, I loved it, but I found it a tad congested. Those days are over. The ZDTj injects so much air into the midrange and treble, it creates wonderful separation. Holographic imaging. Z-axis depth. Whatever you want to call it, that magic element that sets TOTL cans apart really became apparent when I listened to the Atticus with tubes. I see why Zach always demoes his creations with tube amp technology.

What else can I say? I feel I've reached my endgame for now. Sure, there is always more—more detail, more clarity, more immersion. But this is enough. It is enough that I can finally say I understand what @Wes S keeps talking about when he says "just one more song" turns into 2 hours. This combination is addictive.

I felt the same when i tried aeolus with my custom made otl amp. I liked the combo so much that.. I sold aeolus because i NEED to try atticus with tubes. Thesr drivers are made to play the best with tubes. Period.

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #7,148 of 9,716
The ZDT jr is the Night Blues mini, a Russian amp. I owned one and it’s far from bass light. People expect it to sound tube-ish but it’s rather clinical for a tube amp, like s Vahalla 2. I like it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #7,149 of 9,716
Man what a great headphone the Atticus is. I have been listening with GEC 6080 power tubes and a Mullard ECC33 driver tube.
What a beautiful sound...stage is amazing for a closed back.
The new Keb Mo album ain't bad either!

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #7,151 of 9,716
Could woo audio wa6 se be a good match with atticus?

My guess would be yes, I have never heard that amp though.
I know there have been nice reports with the Woo WA3 OTL. It would also cost less.
It is a beautiful sound with OTL for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #7,153 of 9,716
Man what a great headphone the Atticus is. I have been listening with GEC 6080 power tubes and a Mullard ECC33 driver tube.
What a beautiful sound...stage is amazing for a closed back.
The new Keb Mo album ain't bad either!
Wow! That is one heck of a tube combo, you got going there. I bet that sounds killer!

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #7,155 of 9,716
I use my Atticus mostly fed from a Chord Mojo (from Foobar2000 out of my computer), and it's a match made in heaven. I occasionally use it with my WA7, and although it performs very well, I prefer the former setup. The better combo (IMO, of course) is the WA7 > Auteurs.

Disclaimer: I employ various EQ presets out of Foobar, so there's that. The source in the WA7 chain is usually a FiiO X5 iii > Schitt Loki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back