ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #7,129 of 9,714
Would love to hear comparisons of the ZDT Jr. against the CTH if anyone can give them (with the atticus preferably!) I've been on the hunt for a good tube amp with a more tubey sound signature. Was debating the Glenn OTL or the crackatwoa but if the ZDT is good I'd be interested in that too! :)

Also, I'd really love to sing the praises of the Atticus for a second-
After I received my Auteur I really thought I'd lose interest in the closed back headphone, but having the Auteur to contrast it really has only made me love it more! It's such a fun headphone to listen to. I love how I can feel it vibrating on my head head while I work!

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #7,130 of 9,714
Would love to hear comparisons of the ZDT Jr. against the CTH if anyone can give them (with the atticus preferably!) I've been on the hunt for a good tube amp with a more tubey sound signature. Was debating the Glenn OTL or the crackatwoa but if the ZDT is good I'd be interested in that too! :)

Also, I'd really love to sing the praises of the Atticus for a second-
After I received my Auteur I really thought I'd lose interest in the closed back headphone, but having the Auteur to contrast it really has only made me love it more! It's such a fun headphone to listen to. I love how I can feel it vibrating on my head head while I work!

I ordered the ZDT Jr. and the upgraded driver tubes recommended on SBFA. Haven’t heard the CTH, but I’ll give some impressions once it arrives.

Zach the man himself recommended the ZJr when I ordered the Atty. Some people don’t like the pairing, but Zach and I both listen to mainly mid focused music (bluegrass, traditional American, old time, etc). ZJr is supposed to have amazing layering in the mids. Can’t wait to see what tubes are all about!

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #7,131 of 9,714
Eikon is some sort of closed auteur right? I am thinking about buying a closed one because i cant stand people talking out loud now that summer is came and i have to keep my doors open

Eikon came first. It has the same form factor (frame + large, continuously beveled wooden earcups) as the Atticus. The Auteur came later; it uses the same driver as the Eikon, but has a somewhat differently shaped wood earcup with a metal screen over the open section.

I've heard the Auteur a number of times (including once IMS) but never managed to fall in love with it. I've also heard the Eikon many times IMS and definitely fell in love with it. The Eikon is one of the very best closed back headphones around IMO. Quite a spectacular listen.

The beauty of those big wooden earcups cannot be overstated. Mine is padauk--a gorgeous wood. I've also seen several stunning burl/wood Eikons at the ZMF booth at CanJam.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #7,132 of 9,714
Shout out to Zach! Received my Camphor Atticus today! What a great addition to my gear! Best build quality of all my cans and extremely comfortable, barely feel them on my head! All around great experience with purchase and look forward to years of enjoyment:)
F6959A69-C4B7-4A3B-BCFA-2159F2A467E7.jpeg

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #7,133 of 9,714
Shout out to Zach! Received my Camphor Atticus today! What a great addition to my gear! Best build quality of all my cans and extremely comfortable, barely feel them on my head! All around great experience with purchase and look forward to years of enjoyment:)

Camphor is a ver pretty wood. Never heard of it before Zach replaced cherry w/camphor as stock woods on A & E.

I love the way tans/browns commingle with light and dark bands of grey in this wood.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #7,134 of 9,714
I love all the color variations in that one! You're a very lucky guy!!

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #7,137 of 9,714
Eikon came first. It has the same form factor (frame + large, continuously beveled wooden earcups) as the Atticus. The Auteur came later; it uses the same driver as the Eikon, but has a somewhat differently shaped wood earcup with a metal screen over the open section.

I've heard the Auteur a number of times (including once IMS) but never managed to fall in love with it. I've also heard the Eikon many times IMS and definitely fell in love with it. The Eikon is one of the very best closed back headphones around IMO. Quite a spectacular listen.

The beauty of those big wooden earcups cannot be overstated. Mine is padauk--a gorgeous wood. I've also seen several stunning burl/wood Eikons at the ZMF booth at CanJam.

I had all zmf dynamic except eikon.
I needed a closed back because in the summer i keep my windows open and there is some noise.
I sold my aeolus, the best hp i had, ordered an atticus because at the time i had it i drove it with some solid state. I want to try it with my tubes now. There is night and day difference with ss and tubes with aeolus. It doesn't seem the same hp..

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #7,138 of 9,714
I had all zmf dynamic except eikon.
I needed a closed back because in the summer i keep my windows open and there is some noise.
I sold my aeolus, the best hp i had, ordered an atticus because at the time i had it i drove it with some solid state. I want to try it with my tubes now. There is night and day difference with ss and tubes with aeolus. It doesn't seem the same hp..

Man I can’t wait for my ZDT to show up! Ready to bask in that tube glow ...

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #7,140 of 9,714
i don'y know this zdt.. is it otl or hybrid? i prefer otl rather then hybrid. i tried a fancy wa22 with expensive tubes and didn't like it as much as feliks espressivo mk2 that i 1/4 of the cost
I don't think it's either, a different topology
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-eddie-current-zdt-jr

Most of Zach's creations really like tubes, but I've read Atticus in particular changes tremendously. Since Atty & Aeolus use the same driver, what you're saying makes sense.

I wouldn't call it a 'different headphone' but I'd say my Aeolus seems to be affected a bit more than I hear with my Eikon on tubes. YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back