ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,551 of 9,748
@zach915m sent me a pair of suede pads,but didnt tell me which pads they were:confused:.They are the Ori pads?

I tried them on my Atticus last night and it was an odd experience.On Motorhead "Motorhead" from the No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith CD the drums were brought forward more and with an added sense of air surrounding the drum section as well as the vocals.Granted that isnt the greatest CD to test out gear so I did the same on the new Judas Priest album 16/44.1 FLAC,great production value,and had much the same results.
However the ferocity and violent nature of the Atticus slam was diminished to the point where it was no longer the sound I bought the Atticus for,so I swapped back.

I have silver/copper hybrid cable which for me is the perfect compliment for The Atticus...It brings out the detail more without losing much(if any)slam.

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #5,553 of 9,748
@zach915m sent me a pair of suede pads,but didnt tell me which pads they were:confused:.They are the Ori pads?

I tried them on my Atticus last night and it was an odd experience.On Motorhead "Motorhead" from the No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith CD the drums were brought forward more and with an added sense of air surrounding the drum section as well as the vocals.Granted that isnt the greatest CD to test out gear so I did the same on the new Judas Priest album 16/44.1 FLAC,great production value,and had much the same results.
However the ferocity and violent nature of the Atticus slam was diminished to the point where it was no longer the sound I bought the Atticus for,so I swapped back.

I have silver/copper hybrid cable which for me is the perfect compliment for The Atticus...It brings out the detail more without losing much(if any)slam.

My understanding of silver is that it tightens up the bass and gives it more focus, not necessarily takes any slam away.

I find the Atticus is just a touch too bloomy in the midbass with the leather pads, even for me.

Depends on the amp and especially on the tubes, you can swap in tubes that bring the focus more on to the subbass or remove the midbass hump by a fair amount - I have those in right now and I never found the midbass to be overpowering w/ the Ori pads. I did notice this was a concern when I had very neutral tubes in which case the mid-bass became a bit too much. That's what made me curious about the Auteur but the way it is now isn't really much of a concern anymore. I don't know if I'd gain much of an upgrade if I got the Auteur from the Atticus at this point.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #5,554 of 9,748
What silver/copper hybrid cable is that, if you don't mind my asking?

It was a custom build Zach did for me.I had him make me a cable that terminated in speaker cable(not shown)or 1/4".I did find there to be slightly cleaner sound from taps vs. HP jack on my old vintage receivers,but ultimately found that the best sound (for me) was from my La Figaro 339.

I have the Monster Eleven Glenn OTL being built which will ultimately take over on Atticus duty.
29067352_169121597218651_2439988500158742528_n.jpg
29103407_169121613885316_6708691319524425728_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #5,556 of 9,748
Depends on the amp and especially on the tubes, you can swap in tubes that bring the focus more on to the subbass or remove the midbass hump by a fair amount - I have those in right now and I never found the midbass to be overpowering w/ the Ori pads. I did notice this was a concern when I had very neutral tubes in which case the mid-bass became a bit too much. That's what made me curious about the Auteur but the way it is now isn't really much of a concern anymore. I don't know if I'd gain much of an upgrade if I got the Auteur from the Atticus at this point.
Thanks, which tubes focus the bass and reduce the bloom, if you don’t mind me asking?

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #5,557 of 9,748
Thanks, which tubes focus the bass and reduce the bloom, if you don’t mind me asking?

JJ's tend to be pretty neutral and Sylvanias usually reduce the midbass hump. Feel free to mix in some other tubes to balance it out if you feel it takes too much away from the overall bass.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #5,558 of 9,748
Hello everyone, I was fortunate enough to recently acquire both the Atticus and Eikon. Unfortunately, I can only afford to hang onto one. After having a lot of fun comparing the two this past week, I've decided that the Eikons are the ones for me. Honestly, if I hadn't heard the Atticus alongside the Eikons, I would be entirely content with the Eikons. But because I've heard the lush, romantic mids of the Atticus, I do think there's a little room for improvement with the Eikon in that regard.

I should add that I'm listening to both out of a Beyerdynamic A20 amp, which Zach recommended in a previous post. The only other amps I own are an X-CAN V3 with Sylvania tubes and my iBasso DX200, and the A20 is definitely the best pairing for the Eikons. The easiest way to introduce more lushness to the Eikon's mids would probably be to buy an OTL amp, but I thought I'd ask for some help regarding pads/cables before jumping off the deep end with a tube amp.

So I've been looking at both the OFC and OCC ZMF upgrade cables, could someone comment on the difference in sound quality between the two?

And is there a pad on the ZMF website that would make the Eikons sound a touch warmer?

I'm looking forward to hearing all your suggestions, and thank you to everybody for contributing to this thread. Reading through 370 pages hasn't been easy, but it's been both fun and informative. Lastly, hats off to Zach and the team, as both the Eikon and Atticus sound fantastic and are the most breathtaking cans I've ever held in my hands :)

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #5,559 of 9,748
Hey guys. I currently have a 2016 LCD-2F that’s a great neutral, open complement to the Atticus. Wondering what, if anything, a newish fazor LCD-3 will add to the mix (in place of the LCD-2). Given that I have a two-headphone system is the LCD-3F worth the price premium over the LCD-2F?

Also how does the LCD-3F compare/contrast with the Atticus?

Thx.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #5,560 of 9,748
So I don't what's caused this great division in my head - but reseating the Eikon microsuedes on the Atticus has really given me almost 95% of what I enjoy. I can't wait till my tubes get in. I think I will have achieved the full blown balance I'm looking for (airy, sparkly treble) w/ lush euphonic mids and emphasized but controlled midbass. I'll throw a silver cable in for good measure :)

Also, really enjoying the Camphor's darkening over time. It's getting to a nice oaky brown barrel color.

Given that I have a two-headphone system is the LCD-3F worth the price premium over the LCD-2F?

In my experience, yes. The LCD-3 is more dynamic sounding - it'll sounding slightly more detailed but preserves the great sparkle of the 2s, while the mids are more lush. The biggest difference I've realized is the bass sounds like what planar bass is supposed to sound like.

The Atticus lacks the air of the 2's or 3's and has more midbass. The 3's have more subbass, and the mids are slightly even more liquid or wet on the Atticus. Comfort wise, the Atticus wins hands down. Audeze makes such great headphones but they can't nail the comfort thing down.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #5,561 of 9,748
Finally got my Eikon in today. The vocals are absolutely amazing. If I had to pick one thing out immediately, it's the vocals. Still adjusting to wearing closed headphones (big HD600 fan), but the clarity is so much better than Im used to with closed.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #5,562 of 9,748
*This is not an "official" review. More like a brief comparison with a couple pictures. I found myself with all 3 ZMF dynamics and figured I could write a short(ish) comparison of the two closed backs, maybe it will help some decide on which one would suite them best. My sound preferences are just slightly warm of neutral and my main setup I use is Gumby -> ZDS. The pic below is from Zachs site. I didn't have any pics from when I had both these headphones together at one time.

ZMF closed backs.jpg

A Tale of Two ZMFs: Atticus & Eikon

While I had the Auteur for review I found myself in a unique position of having all three ZMF dynamics on hand and on the same equipment, so I decided to do a write up of the two closed backs as well. This will be a combined, brief comparative impressions of both the Atticus and Eikon. I won't go into as much detail here as I did on my Auteur review. I touched on both these headphones compared to Zachs new open dynamic in my Auteur review.

Intro / Build / Comfort
These are handmade headphones made by Zach and maybe 1 or 2 other people that help him. The Atticus uses a TPE dynamic driver while the Eikon uses a biocellulose design. Both come in the same housing design. That means just like the Auteur, they are entirely made from wood, metal and genuine leather. Build quality is top notch. Due to the materials used, these headphones are a little heavy in comparison to something like the HD800. They wear their weight well due to the ergonomic headband/strap design, but if you find yourself sensitive to heavy headphones do try and demo one first. Personally I could wear these for hours while heavy headphones like the Audeze LCD series and older Hifiman models were way too heavy for me. The current default wood is Camphor which weighs noticeably less than the outgoing Paduak version.

Bass
Atticus: Extension here is good, however it is centered around the mid-bass. Upper bass doesn't have any noticeable bleed into the the mids. Percussion hits strong with the elevation. Bass is very fast and clean. Easily keeps up with even the most demanding metal music.

Eikon
: Extension is EXCELLENT. Seriously, if you are a sub bass fanatic then stop everything and at least try and audition the Eikon. Sub bass is boosted above the mid bass giving deep bass tracks noticeable thump not heard in many other headphones. Playing Daft Punk - Doin it Right is an experience best heard. With mid bass and upper bass being pretty linear into the mids, no bleed to be found at all. Very good transition.

Mids
Atticus: Zach is not one to leave you wanting for a midrange. Lower mids are full and male vocals have excellent texture and weight to them. Upper mids are smooth and present enough to give the lower levels of female vocals that same sense of realism and texture that this headphone can do with male vocals. Guitar crunch here is excellent which is a must for any metal-head like me.

Eikon
: Mids are very linear. Whereas some vocals will stand out more on the Atticus, they are more linear here. Vocals are still very good, nothing is recessed, it just doesn't pop out as much like they do on the Atticus. Guitar crunch is also not as forward but in line with the other instruments. I find piano to be especially fantastic on the Eikon.

Treble
Atticus: The upper mids to lower treble transition is smooth and natural, not unlike the HD650 which is the king in mids-treble transition in my eyes. The Atticus at least meets the HD650 head to head here. Compared to the Eikon and Auteur, the treble is a bit more subdued in level across the board. Think ZMF Ori and less ZMF Blackwood (planars). The detail is there, but it is not in your face. This is not unlike the HD650. Extension is good.

Eikon
: Mids to treble transition is a tiny bit rougher here than it is on the Atticus. There seems to be a small peak around 5k. Nothing huge like the spike at 6k on the HD800, some may not even notice it, kind of gear dependant and how sensitive to that area you are. After that everything is smooth sailing. Treble has great extension and is more present than on the Atticus. Extension here is really good and maybe a hair better than on the Atticus. It may sound like it has much more due to the treble being more upfront here than on the Atticus.

Soundstage
Both the Atticus and Eikon has a good soundstage. The Atticus is a little larger, which may be surprising due to the more subdued treble region, could be due to the thicker pads among other small differences. The Eikon is no slouch here either though. They both put many other closed backs in this price range to shame. Air and the space around instruments is very good.

IMG_20180315_002312.jpg

Gear Pairing
Atticus: This one is a bit more tricky than the Eikon. The treble is a little subdued on the Atticus and if you pair it with gear that is too dark you could exacerbate this. You want something with good speed, attack and something closer to neutral. Some examples of amps I have experience with that would pair well: Schiit Asgard 2, Valhalla 2 (if you use some good 6CG7 tubes to extend the bass a bit, don't go crazy here though. Save for a better amp, not $200 tubes), Jotunheim. Eddie Current BW (if you like some slamming bass), EC ZDS (this will really show how good of a soundstage this has for a closed back). DNA Stratus (earlier versions of this may be a little too warm).

Eikon
: As long as you have good gear and not mushy, poorly made amps you should be good. The Eikon is a headphone that will sound good out of just about anything. Any of the amps listed above would work well in addition to: Schiit Vali 2. DNA Sonett, Sonett 2, any version of Stratus.

For DACs, anything with good resolve at its price point that isn't rolled off or veiled. Anything by Schiit (Modi Multibit may be a bit too warm for the Atticus for some however). The Metrum Amethyst I had on loan from Zach was really good (pair it with a more neutral amp with good bass control). I was also a fan of the Soekris 1541 that I heard with my Auteur.

Comparisons
Ether C/C Flow: I was not a fan of the Ether C, either model. The original is pretty linear if a bit hot in the highs. The main issue was that it just sounded rather dull. Dynamics were gone and everthing sounded closed in. The C Flow helped with the closed in sound but that was primarily because it was tuned with a big boost in the already sometimes hot treble. If your looking for that linear sound the Ether C has, I would look at the Eikon instead, albeit with a bit of Zachs house sound attached so not completely flat.

LCD-XC & Sony Z1R
: I'm putting these both in one section because I have the same problem with both of them. They both have a wonky FR that instead of adding "flavor" just detracts from the music. The Atticus has a romantic "flavor" while still retaining good transitions between lows-mids-highs with excellent dynamics and plankton. The Sony also exibits some noticeable distortion in the bass which leads to a somewhat muddy presentation.

Which one is for you?
The $1,000 question. Which should you buy? The Atticus is the most similar to Zachs previous planar headphones, especially the Ori. The Ori was inherently limited by the T50rp driver it used. While a great headphone, Zach was really able to go all out with his house sound with the Atticus. The Eikon most resembles the Blackwood from his planar lineup. A tasteful sub bass boost with a mostly linear response through the mids and highs.

I feel like the default response is mostly going to be the Eikon. It is a great all-rounder that will sound good with just about any genre while not being very picky about what you plug into it. The Atticus on the other hand is what I call a specific genre master. It is not good with everything, but it masters the genres it is good with. This is flat out the best headphone I have ever used for metal. Having said that, if your target FR is something that the Atticus gives you, then go for it. Don't let me tell you which one you should get if you prefer the sound signature of the Atticus over the Eikon as an all rounder.

For pricing, I really can't complain with both models sitting under $1.5k (Atticus $1.1k / Eikon $1.4k). It's main competition in other closed backs are all more expensive for the most part and sound worse.

Conclusion
Zach has turned the closed back headphone game over on its head in my opinion with these two headphones. Nothing comes close. Ether C/C Flow, LCD-XC, Sony Z1R, they all come with baggage and the usual "it's good...for a closed headphone". The Eikon and Atticus are just plain good, period.

IMG_20170805_193342.jpg

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #5,563 of 9,748
*This is not an "official" review. More like a brief comparison with a couple pictures. I found myself with all 3 ZMF dynamics and figured I could write a short(ish) comparison of the two closed backs, maybe it will help some decide on which one would suite them best. My sound preferences are just slightly warm of neutral and my main setup I use is Gumby -> ZDS. The pic below is from Zachs site. I didn't have any pics from when I had both these headphones together at one time.

A Tale of Two ZMFs: Atticus & Eikon

While I had the Auteur for review I found myself in a unique position of having all three ZMF dynamics on hand and on the same equipment, so I decided to do a write up of the two closed backs as well. This will be a combined, brief comparative impressions of both the Atticus and Eikon. I won't go into as much detail here as I did on my Auteur review. I touched on both these headphones compared to Zachs new open dynamic in my Auteur review.

Intro / Build / Comfort
These are handmade headphones made by Zach and maybe 1 or 2 other people that help him. The Atticus uses a TPE dynamic driver while the Eikon uses a biocellulose design. Both come in the same housing design. That means just like the Auteur, they are entirely made from wood, metal and genuine leather. Build quality is top notch. Due to the materials used, these headphones are a little heavy in comparison to something like the HD800. They wear their weight well due to the ergonomic headband/strap design, but if you find yourself sensitive to heavy headphones do try and demo one first. Personally I could wear these for hours while heavy headphones like the Audeze LCD series and older Hifiman models were way too heavy for me. The current default wood is Camphor which weighs noticeably less than the outgoing Paduak version.

Bass
Atticus: Extension here is good, however it is centered around the mid-bass. Upper bass doesn't have any noticeable bleed into the the mids. Percussion hits strong with the elevation. Bass is very fast and clean. Easily keeps up with even the most demanding metal music.

Eikon
: Extension is EXCELLENT. Seriously, if you are a sub bass fanatic then stop everything and at least try and audition the Eikon. Sub bass is boosted above the mid bass giving deep bass tracks noticeable thump not heard in many other headphones. Playing Daft Punk - Doin it Right is an experience best heard. With mid bass and upper bass being pretty linear into the mids, no bleed to be found at all. Very good transition.

Mids
Atticus: Zach is not one to leave you wanting for a midrange. Lower mids are full and male vocals have excellent texture and weight to them. Upper mids are smooth and present enough to give the lower levels of female vocals that same sense of realism and texture that this headphone can do with male vocals. Guitar crunch here is excellent which is a must for any metal-head like me.

Eikon
: Mids are very linear. Whereas some vocals will stand out more on the Atticus, they are more linear here. Vocals are still very good, nothing is recessed, it just doesn't pop out as much like they do on the Atticus. Guitar crunch is also not as forward but in line with the other instruments. I find piano to be especially fantastic on the Eikon.

Treble
Atticus: The upper mids to lower treble transition is smooth and natural, not unlike the HD650 which is the king in mids-treble transition in my eyes. The Atticus at least meets the HD650 head to head here. Compared to the Eikon and Auteur, the treble is a bit more subdued in level across the board. Think ZMF Ori and less ZMF Blackwood (planars). The detail is there, but it is not in your face. This is not unlike the HD650. Extension is good.

Eikon
: Mids to treble transition is a tiny bit rougher here than it is on the Atticus. There seems to be a small peak around 5k. Nothing huge like the spike at 6k on the HD800, some may not even notice it, kind of gear dependant and how sensitive to that area you are. After that everything is smooth sailing. Treble has great extension and is more present than on the Atticus. Extension here is really good and maybe a hair better than on the Atticus. It may sound like it has much more due to the treble being more upfront here than on the Atticus.

Soundstage
Both the Atticus and Eikon has a good soundstage. The Atticus is a little larger, which may be surprising due to the more subdued treble region, could be due to the thicker pads among other small differences. The Eikon is no slouch here either though. They both put many other closed backs in this price range to shame. Air and the space around instruments is very good.

Gear Pairing
Atticus: This one is a bit more tricky than the Eikon. The treble is a little subdued on the Atticus and if you pair it with gear that is too dark you could exacerbate this. You want something with good speed, attack and something closer to neutral. Some examples of amps I have experience with that would pair well: Schiit Asgard 2, Valhalla 2 (if you use some good 6CG7 tubes to extend the bass a bit, don't go crazy here though. Save for a better amp, not $200 tubes), Jotunheim. Eddie Current BW (if you like some slamming bass), EC ZDS (this will really show how good of a soundstage this has for a closed back). DNA Stratus (earlier versions of this may be a little too warm).

Eikon
: As long as you have good gear and not mushy, poorly made amps you should be good. The Eikon is a headphone that will sound good out of just about anything. Any of the amps listed above would work well in addition to: Schiit Vali 2. DNA Sonett, Sonett 2, any version of Stratus.

For DACs, anything with good resolve at its price point that isn't rolled off or veiled. Anything by Schiit (Modi Multibit may be a bit too warm for the Atticus for some however). The Metrum Amethyst I had on loan from Zach was really good (pair it with a more neutral amp with good bass control). I was also a fan of the Soekris 1541 that I heard with my Auteur.

Comparisons
Ether C/C Flow: I was not a fan of the Ether C, either model. The original is pretty linear if a bit hot in the highs. The main issue was that it just sounded rather dull. Dynamics were gone and everthing sounded closed in. The C Flow helped with the closed in sound but that was primarily because it was tuned with a big boost in the already sometimes hot treble. If your looking for that linear sound the Ether C has, I would look at the Eikon instead, albeit with a bit of Zachs house sound attached so not completely flat.

LCD-XC & Sony Z1R
: I'm putting these both in one section because I have the same problem with both of them. They both have a wonky FR that instead of adding "flavor" just detracts from the music. The Atticus has a romantic "flavor" while still retaining good transitions between lows-mids-highs with excellent dynamics and plankton. The Sony also exibits some noticeable distortion in the bass which leads to a somewhat muddy presentation.

Which one is for you?
The $1,000 question. Which should you buy? The Atticus is the most similar to Zachs previous planar headphones, especially the Ori. The Ori was inherently limited by the T50rp driver it used. While a great headphone, Zach was really able to go all out with his house sound with the Atticus. The Eikon most resembles the Blackwood from his planar lineup. A tasteful sub bass boost with a mostly linear response through the mids and highs.

I feel like the default response is mostly going to be the Eikon. It is a great all-rounder that will sound good with just about any genre while not being very picky about what you plug into it. The Atticus on the other hand is what I call a specific genre master. It is not good with everything, but it masters the genres it is good with. This is flat out the best headphone I have ever used for metal. Having said that, if your target FR is something that the Atticus gives you, then go for it. Don't let me tell you which one you should get if you prefer the sound signature of the Atticus over the Eikon as an all rounder.

For pricing, I really can't complain with both models sitting under $1.5k (Atticus $1.1k / Eikon $1.4k). It's main competition in other closed backs are all more expensive for the most part and sound worse.

Conclusion
Zach has turned the closed back headphone game over on its head in my opinion with these two headphones. Nothing comes close. Ether C/C Flow, LCD-XC, Sony Z1R, they all come with baggage and the usual "it's good...for a closed headphone". The Eikon and Atticus are just plain good, period.

Very well done sir :)

I have been enjoying the Atticus with blues music and I just love it....I also own the Ori and it gets much love as well.

I have one amp sent off getting an upgrade and my son has taken the OTL amp until the weekend, so i am left listening with my Little Dot 1+ and my Grado RS1.

I can't wait for the weekend when I will be able to listen to Atticus and OTL again.

I could not agree more with you about Zach's design and tuning.
I will probably own the Eikon some day also.

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #5,564 of 9,748
Some genres I've really enjoyed the Atticus with is Hip-Hop, Pop, Electronic, Bossa Nova, Acoustic, and Metal. Subbass may be more important in terms of Rap, so Eikon may win on that level but midbass is used for a lot of kick drums so Atticus may be better especially since modern Hip-Hop is treble boosted in the mids so the mids stay clear above the bass.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #5,565 of 9,748
Y'all and your TOTL tube amps are killin me. I recently relocated from Austin, a bit of an audio desert, to about halfway between Boston and NYC (where I shouldn't keep saying, things like y'all, but I'm gonna and none of y'all can stop me). I drool over amps like Zana Deux, Kenzie Encore, Zen Taboo, Glenn OTL, etc but I'm not pulling any triggers until I can sit down with them for a while and evaluate them for myself. And I feel like in this region, if I wait for the right meet, I could check a lot of those boxes off--Austin had a moderately sized meet every other year at best (~100 people). Only then will I know which TOTL tube amp I'd rather have than a vacation in South America.

In the meantime, just sitting here with my Magni 3 and a hotrodded Crack getting ready for open heart surgery... thinking of picking up a Elekit TU-8200 in the mean time just to see the circuits for myself and for the pleasure of DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back