ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #5,522 of 9,763
Thank you..........and apparently now, also a soon to be Auteur owner.

Only a brief moment of weakness and this happened:sweat_smile:

I have the Ori, Eikon, Atticus and Auteur. None of them disappoint.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #5,523 of 9,763
I’d recommend the MassDrop/Cavalli CTH, which is an unbelievably great pairing with the Atticus (honestly, was just blown away by the synergy, and I’ve tried A LOT of amps with the Atticus). I didn’t feel Vali 1 was that good of a match with the Atticus, but I liked the way it matched with the Eikon’s signature.

Man, I dunno why I didn't get in on the first drop of those. Especially being the Cavalli fan I am. I was going to order one and just forgot about it! :frowning2:

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #5,524 of 9,763
So I got my Dragon Inspire in today and I am half-half on deciding to not going with the Lundhal transformers as I'm nearly maxed out. The good news is I won't blow my ears out on the Atticus which can keep cranking out as much as you want because of the relaxed treble. With this amp (stock tubes), I actual prefer the stock Ori pads. The micro-detail comes back in force, the mids sit right where they need to be and the midbass actually isn't crazy but gives me enough slam. Some tube rolling will definitely change my opinions as I go down the line but very happy at the moment.

Very excited to try out the Auteur at some point as well! Some air added to this warmth would do some wonders.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #5,525 of 9,763
I’d recommend the MassDrop/Cavalli CTH, which is an unbelievably great pairing with the Atticus (honestly, was just blown away by the synergy, and I’ve tried A LOT of amps with the Atticus). I didn’t feel Vali 1 was that good of a match with the Atticus, but I liked the way it matched with the Eikon’s signature.

That's no surprise, I like my Vali 1 but it's super thick... the Atticus already has a lot of thickness of it's own! An I agree, I got to hear the CTH recently and it's pretty good, given the price and overall ease of ownership I think a lot of people will enjoy it. I'm still preferential to my little modded APPJ and stuff like the Feliks Elise, which I got to hear for a second time with my Eikon and WOW! Impressive as ever even without Psvanne tubes in it, @architect5150 owns the very set up in fact hopefully he has a picture of his amp as I didn't get one <.<! He also makes some gorgeous wood finished bottlehead amps as well!

I also have to admit that I'm really diggin a full Silver Cable on my Eikon these days... I just swapped back into my original OCC Copper and <.< I just can't go back! There's almost like a haziness when I switch back to Copper, and OFC Copper is even worse!!!. So I'd certainly recommend full silver to any of you who want a little more clarity from your Eikon, though I have a cherry so I imagine the Paduk cans might do better with OCC.

Either way I'm still loving with my Eikon Cherry ^^

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #5,526 of 9,763
I'm looking to get a silver cable for my Atticus to tie in w/ some Chrome Dome Sylvanias and an RCA Gray Glass combo. Should sound like an Auteur after I'm done :p

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #5,527 of 9,763
Most definitely.
Little known fact:Zach had Lemmy give him feedback on The Atticus before settling on the final sound sig.8

No,he didnt,but makes for a cool story.:L3000:

I will be doing a review on The Atticus on my YouTube channel,with a strong focus on metal music,as usual.

only way to feel the noise is when its good and loud!! sounds like zach nailed it:gs1000smile::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #5,528 of 9,763
only way to feel the noise is when its good and loud!! sounds like zach nailed it:gs1000smile::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Yea I have to admit that is true, I listen about 2 dB louder with my Eikon! Average of 89 as opposed to my normal 87 xD

and I have @ButtUglyJeff to thank for recently reminding me to just enjoy the music! That said, I've added in Stairway to Heaven as one of my test tracks. While it's not perfect, there's a lot of evident flaws present from the recording/mastering, tonally it's one of my favorites!

An I love... the naturalness that the Eikon adds to the track, there's an almost haunting quality to Robert's vocals a breathy lightness in addition to the from the chest fullness his brings as well. Everythings just right on the Eikon, bass response is deep well textured and taut, guitars have a nice touch of sweetness and amazing texture, and the top end is well extended! I have to say I am as always deeply enjoying listening to this headphone! Hopefully I can pick up a nicer tube amp here in the future as well. The Psvanne Tube'd Elise I heard in PA was magical with some Stevie Ray Vaughn

20180128_163905_edited.jpeg

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #5,529 of 9,763
So I got my Dragon Inspire in today and I am half-half on deciding to not going with the Lundhal transformers as I'm nearly maxed out. The good news is I won't blow my ears out on the Atticus which can keep cranking out as much as you want because of the relaxed treble. With this amp (stock tubes), I actual prefer the stock Ori pads. The micro-detail comes back in force, the mids sit right where they need to be and the midbass actually isn't crazy but gives me enough slam. Some tube rolling will definitely change my opinions as I go down the line but very happy at the moment.

Very excited to try out the Auteur at some point as well! Some air added to this warmth would do some wonders.
I just got an IHA-1 too, and have been tube rolling w/ Eikon. May I suggest a relatively inexpensive tube to try? RCA 6BL7GTA have great extension on both ends, good tone, and are about $40 a pair. Either that or you can go crazy with some KenRad 6SN7 black glass tubes. Better sound, but your wallet will cry.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #5,530 of 9,763
I just got an IHA-1 too, and have been tube rolling w/ Eikon. May I suggest a relatively inexpensive tube to try? RCA 6BL7GTA have great extension on both ends, good tone, and are about $40 a pair. Either that or you can go crazy with some KenRad 6SN7 black glass tubes. Better sound, but your wallet will cry.

Yeah I've heard great things about the KenRads. I was about to go all in on some RCA V-231's. I'm really just looking for a tube that will add some treble extension, air, and sparkle to the Atticus which would make it a lot more well rounded imo. I'll try your suggestion first. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #5,531 of 9,763
Yeah I've heard great things about the KenRads. I was about to go all in on some RCA V-231's. I'm really just looking for a tube that will add some treble extension, air, and sparkle to the Atticus which would make it a lot more well rounded imo. I'll try your suggestion first. Thanks!

6BL7S generally have very good treble extension and air. I’m actually using a similar RCA tube, the 6BX7, for the output on my Glenn OTL right now. They’re cheap tubes and they sound terrific. I’m running 2 per channel and they usually run about $15 apiece shipped, so we’re talking like $60, and this quad is within inches of my $350-400/pr. GEC 6080s. Sometimes even better with certain rectifiers.

General FYI on 6BX7/6BL7s - they can sometimes be pretty loud in the first 20-30 hours - that usually calms down with time, in my experience. But it can make it a little hard to tell if you got a good tube or a bad one sometimes. The ones I’m using now we’re making all kinds of pings and would give me interference and stuff. 25 hours later, they were silent. Kinda weird, but good to know.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #5,532 of 9,763
6BL7S generally have very good treble extension and air. I’m actually using a similar RCA tube, the 6BX7, for the output on my Glenn OTL right now. They’re cheap tubes and they sound terrific. I’m running 2 per channel and they usually run about $15 apiece shipped, so we’re talking like $60, and this quad is within inches of my $350-400/pr. GEC 6080s. Sometimes even better with certain rectifiers.

General FYI on 6BX7/6BL7s - they can sometimes be pretty loud in the first 20-30 hours - that usually calms down with time, in my experience. But it can make it a little hard to tell if you got a good tube or a bad one sometimes. The ones I’m using now we’re making all kinds of pings and would give me interference and stuff. 25 hours later, they were silent. Kinda weird, but good to know.

It's good to know there's so many good and cheaper variants out there - my current setup I got coming in is a Sylvania 6SN7W (I'll have to order some GT's to compare), RCA Grey Glass and a Philips Grey Getter GYS Rectifier. I've also heard the RCA 5R4GY is a great micro-detail and air adding rectifier. There's some great RCA's from the 40's that make incredible rectifiers but they're really hard and expensive to get so I stuck with more readily available tubes. Certainly easier to get deals than my old 9 pins I used to have but I'll have to get some adapters to get the best deals.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #5,533 of 9,763
It's good to know there's so many good and cheaper variants out there - my current setup I got coming in is a Sylvania 6SN7W (I'll have to order some GT's to compare), RCA Grey Glass and a Philips Grey Getter GYS Rectifier. I've also heard the RCA 5R4GY is a great micro-detail and air adding rectifier. There's some great RCA's from the 40's that make incredible rectifiers but they're really hard and expensive to get so I stuck with more readily available tubes. Certainly easier to get deals than my old 9 pins I used to have but I'll have to get some adapters to get the best deals.

RCA definitely makes some great rectifiers - I have 4 of them: 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5U4GB tall bottle, and 5AW4. I scored most of those for less than $10 and they sound terrific. The GB has depth layering like a $300 tube and it’s like $8. The tall bottle is a great balance for bright and airy tubes, especially with the HD600. Lots of solid EBay budget scores, if you’re patient.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #5,534 of 9,763
RCA definitely makes some great rectifiers - I have 4 of them: 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5U4GB tall bottle, and 5AW4. I scored most of those for less than $10 and they sound terrific. The GB has depth layering like a $300 tube and it’s like $8. The tall bottle is a great balance for bright and airy tubes, especially with the HD600. Lots of solid EBay budget scores, if you’re patient.

Yea I've been using eBay for a lot of my deals. Most people recommend against it but you can score some great deals. I'm planning on getting a tube tester at some point that way I can separate the wheat from the chafe so to speak on which sellers are trustworthy and are actually testing their lots. Do you have any sellers you prefer?

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #5,535 of 9,763
Yea I've been using eBay for a lot of my deals. Most people recommend against it but you can score some great deals. I'm planning on getting a tube tester at some point that way I can separate the wheat from the chafe so to speak on which sellers are trustworthy and are actually testing their lots. Do you have any sellers you prefer?

The ones with high ratings and return policies, basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back